Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

AfterMarket ECU for BC-5 Legacy

Hey guys,

I'm just starting to gain interest in buying an aftermarket ECU for my BC-5 Legacy Sedan as I seem to have been bit by the horsepower bug which I'm sure most of you will be familiar with..

I have seen the old 4-plug plug in possumlinks on trademe before for around the $500 mark which is what seems to be the most common aftermarket ecu up-grade for this model car, but I'm wondering if there are any other options that I should consider looking into? My car has a TD05 (will be upgrading soon to a 20g or vf22 - not too sure - help also if poss?), front mount intercooler, walbro 500hp pump, split rails, exhaust, filter, electronic boost controller, and also bov + external wastegate which are all tied on to a forester engine (ex Japan, WAS auto, td04, 84,000k's) ...I also have yellowtop injectors in my room waiting to go in with the new computer. So yeah it's pretty much time for me to get an ECU to get a nice tune to pull it all together and get it running as good as possible really huh. I have up to around $1000 to spend on the ecu (not including the tune btw). I don't need launch control, antilag, all that bullsh*t as it's pretty much just a nice street car that I'm not going to take drag racing or whatever.

Can you guys shed some light on me with this issue please? And is the 200kw at the wheels mark a reasonably attainable goal for me with these modifications?

Thanks for any help in advance,

-Sam

The old 4 plug Possumlinks have their limitations but are an great ECU for the price. I've had one in my RS for a few years now making ~200kw and haven't needed to go bigger/better yet ;D

The yellow injectors will probably max out about the same time as your TD05 so I wouldn't upgrade unless you're putting bigger injectors than 440cc in. The VF22 is about the same as a TD05 and the TD05-20g is a well proven upgrade (but will require bigger injectors). Some guys have been using the later model yellows (v5/6 STI) and decapping them to get about 800cc.

just to add to what koom said, yellows & td05 have been proven to make 200kw atw

so yes the goal is very achievable with those mods, and the engine should handle that power aswell,

if you went to 20g & bigger injectors/decapped injectors you would get more power but i dont know if a standard forester would handle the jandle.

Just tried searching for a thread on decapping but can't find it anywhere, could someone please give me some more info on this please, and also where can I buy a good td05 20g? Have been looking for one for a while...Have seen them brand new on trademe but I have a cousin up here who has a wrx rallycar which he fitted one of those to, and said it was quite a c*nt to fit due to the oil line being a bit different or something, and after running 18-20psi for 10,000km it had a whole lot of play...anyone got any opinions please? Sorry for all the questions...would rather ask than go down the wrong path..

p.s. sorry I just noticed that pl0x replied...thanks man. I kinda need a new turbo anyway as mine has started to rattle really badly! Still boosts well at the moment but I have a funny feeling the old girl won't be for much longer..

good thing about the td05 is more people and fix them etc than vf turbos apparently

and i thought thats how you get a td05-20g? get someone to rebuild your current turbo with a 20g wheel?

but theres not much power upgrading to 20g and getting more lag if your still going to end up with the same power?

nt_a_foz said:

the tdo5-20g on trade me brand new are cheap chineese crap....from what iv heard dont touch them..

The proper way to get a 20g is mod your currnet tdo5 with someone like steve murch or turbo builder changing it over and rebuilding it..

truth.. Murchy ftw.. he modded my VF23 to flow 20% more than a stock VF22 and it hauls arse. Its also uprated to cope with 20+psi all day every day.

liKe the TD series, the VF (stock) dont like +20psi..

How can I get ahold of Steve Murch guys? Have never seen his number anywhere..

And also around about what sort of costs are you looking at to rebuild a td05 (with 20g wheel)? I'd rather get mine rebuilt than buy someone elses td05 off trademe to have it pop...might as well do it right.

Guest itsgotgo

The forester as a standard engine does take a bit of abuse ;D

Mine is coming up 160k wit vf28 yellows and all that.

doing 15psi feels around the 180kw"not proven yet" but arse dyno was only out by 7kw on nt-a-foz first tune.

handles that ok for now,so a low km engine should serve alot of fun for you.

Steve murch ftw ;D

Guest boostin

Just remember that an old Legacy running ~200kw atw is going to lunch old driveline components fairly easily. And 200kw atw makes them pretty damn quick!! Make sure you uprate the brakes at the same time.

boostin said:

Just remember that an old Legacy running ~200kw atw is going to lunch old driveline components fairly easily. And 200kw atw makes them pretty damn quick!! Make sure you uprate the brakes at the same time.

All of the suspension and braking components should be appraised and accordingly modified before chasing that output.

Koom said:

The old 4 plug Possumlinks have their limitations but are an great ECU for the price. I've had one in my RS for a few years now making ~200kw and haven't needed to go bigger/better yet ;D

The yellow injectors will probably max out about the same time as your TD05 so I wouldn't upgrade unless you're putting bigger injectors than 440cc in. The VF22 is about the same as a TD05 and the TD05-20g is a well proven upgrade (but will require bigger injectors). Some guys have been using the later model yellows (v5/6 STI) and decapping them to get about 800cc.

so from my understanding reading that the tdo5 and the vf22 are similar?

When does a VF22 reach ~15psi on an EJ20 out of interest? (If anyone knows). I've got datalogs from when I was tuning the boost control in my Possumlink and initially I'd hit ~15psi @ 4250rpm and once I'd used half a tank of gas playing around with it, I'd get a reasonably stable 15psi @ 3300rpm. Thats also good for ~200kw at the top end of the revs too. Its a nice powerband to have at your disposal ;D

Koom said:

When does a VF22 reach ~15psi on an EJ20 out of interest? (If anyone knows). I've got datalogs from when I was tuning the boost control in my Possumlink and initially I'd hit ~15psi @ 4250rpm and once I'd used half a tank of gas playing around with it, I'd get a reasonably stable 15psi @ 3300rpm. Thats also good for ~200kw at the top end of the revs too. Its a nice powerband to have at your disposal ;D

Is that with a TD05? that is a respectable power band indeed.

I just recently spent a weekend with a GF8 V6 STI with a VF22 installed, albeit it was with semi tuned headers but boost seemed be fully spooled at 4000rpm, although its OE Turbo is a VF28, the Boost was all over the place with the VF22 huge peak and would drop a 1 bar.

My TD05 using the gizzmo controller runs sweet.

I have tuned length headers on mine.

1st gear tops out at 13psi.

2nd gear boost comes on hard and early at 3000-rpm and is steady 14.5 at 3500.

She holds between 14.5 and 15 all the way through to redline.

I run 50% duty and a gain of 10psi on my Gizzmo.

BC5RA']

[quote name='Koom said:

/quote]

Is that with a TD05? that is a respectable power band indeed.

Yep, a TD05. I always assumed that about 4k would be decent and at the time it felt a bit slow as it hadn't been re-tuned since I put a front mount on the car so I thought one day that I would go out in to the country and have a play with the boost control. I was quite surprised with the result to say the least. Would easily keep up with our rally cars through to the point where they hook fifth and I'm still pulling through third (and pulling away from them ;D) The joys of not having an intake restrictor haha.

BC5RA']

[quote name='boostin said:

/quote]

All of the suspension and braking components should be appraised and accordingly modified before chasing that output.

It has got adjustable suspension and decent brake pads...Not upgraded rotors or anything flash though.

And I have a spare gearbox and diff here out of a Twin Turbo wagon so they'll go in when it gets broken...

So you guys are sure that 200kw at the wheels will deffinately be attainable for me with my yellow tops (un-decapped ones) and with a td05 20g? Anybody got a possumlink for sale? :)

ALSO out of curiosity to you guys that own these bc-5's, what sorta power are yours putting out with the possumlink and what mods?

TD05-16g, 3" exhaust, pod filter and tubular intake, FMIC, 440cc injectors, Possumlink, GTB heads.

Got about 200kw atw (has been a rather long time since it last saw a dyno so don't know actual power figure but was 185kw way back when it first got tuned).

Running 15psi.

The suspension modifications are where it makes the biggest difference though. I reckon it was nearly as quick when running a standard motor and VF10, 3" exhaust and a chipped ECU. I could show up alot of people around Ruapuna back then and still do ;D Being able to fully use the tyre's grip rather than just screeching and sliding around the track makes it much more fun to drive.

Ahhh solely a street cruiser..

I've had it since I was 15 (am 19 now) and have only just put it back on the road after painting it and doing a few mods here and there...Wasn't supposed to be much of a project but as time progressed I did more and more.