Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Are Sti's limited to 180km/h by their ecu?

predator

I was doing over 200kph down the back straight of Taupo a few weeks ago (the long one). Got data logs from the Link G4 to prove it ;)

So whoever said it can't be done is mistaken.

sleeperfoz said:

i heard years ago that before the back side of the speedos had the loom in them,there was a screw with 180k on the back side of it.

by taking the screw out you removed the cut out.

true or false i dont know.however if its an older model you could look into it :)

It's electronically limited by the ECU.

Speedos can be so inaccurate, according to my pivot i hit 209K (running low boost so i know that i was no where near a true 209, i would not be surprised if it was in the 180's, if that.) on the back straight at manfield, so any speed readings i here i take with a large grain of salt.

I know mine is out by 10-12k at 180, at meremere the trap spped shown on my time slip was usually 10-12k less than that shown on my speedo at the time.

Guest Rugged_RS
 keltik said:

And realistically anyone doing over 200 down the back straight in their road car should be more concerned about brakes and new undies than speed limiters

Haha well put

UnitedWeFall said:

I was doing over 200kph down the back straight of Taupo a few weeks ago (the long one). Got data logs from the Link G4 to prove it ;)

I said it was not possible in a standard car ::)

my speedo reads well over 180 long before the end of the straight at taupo... my PFC has another opinion though.

loren']

[quote name='UnitedWeFall said:

/quote]

I said it was not possible in a standard car ::)

my speedo reads well over 180 long before the end of the straight at taupo... my PFC has another opinion though.

Ah right, sorry. Yeah my speedo reads about 20kph more than my Link does.

Guest sleeperfoz
 UnitedWeFall']

[quote name='sleeperfoz said:

i heard years ago that before the back side of the speedos had the loom in them,there was a screw with 180k on the back side of it.

by taking the screw out you removed the cut out.

true or false i dont know.however if its an older model you could look into it :)

/quote]

It's electronically limited by the ECU.

yep i understand that. ;)

i was talking about the point of trigger for the ecu,as i said for older models where it wasnt signal. it was switch,atleast thats how i understood it at the time.

i may have been given some dol-phinated advice i am unsure :-\

Optical said:

get a gps thing if you want a more accurate speed reading, you can get some very cool stuff that works on your phone too.

check out http://www.racechrono.com/

fantastic piece of software if you have a compatible phone

not really usefull on a race track though since they respond to slowly.

loren']

[quote name='Optical said:

get a gps thing if you want a more accurate speed reading, you can get some very cool stuff that works on your phone too.

check out url]http://www.racechrono.com/[/url]

What do you mean? Swee has it on his phone and had it going on my car the last time we were at puke. Was great, gave all the speed readings through corners, top speed down the straights and a list of all the lap times...

Optical']

[quote name='Optical said:

check out url]http://www.racechrono.com/[/url]

What do you mean? Swee has it on his phone and had it going on my car the last time we were at puke. Was great, gave all the speed readings through corners, top speed down the straights and a list of all the lap times...

There can be a significant delay between updates since you are communicating with a satellite, so your peak speed at the end

of the straight could be missed... and the timing through twisty bits will be inaccurate, since the GPS only calculates times

between 2 positions in a straight line. All kinds of atmospheric conditions can effect the amount of delay as well.

ah i see what you mean.

It does note to set the lap timer to start/stop during a straight, not in the corners. Pity NZ has no land based GPS transmitters o overcome this issue.

It wouldnt be useful for a live readout, more interesting to look at at the end of a run. I dont care if it's out by half a second or a few k's an hour. Good enough for an overview!