Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

ONROAD (BIG) FAIL

DPI

DPI said:

Hey, get this:

I took the Safari in to OnRoad (Glenfield) for a wof a couple of weeks ago and, apart from a twisted brake hose and a door hinge (had fixed) it was all good, got the WOF.

Now, the front wheel has been making some ugly sounds, like a stone in the dust sheild and also some nasty grinding and banging sounds. I thought it was a stone to begin with as, when it did it, i stopped, reversed and then carried on and the sounds stopped.

However, they kept coming back and around 80-100kph, i had a nasty shimmy in the wheel (very bad vibration) which i put down to it needing a wheel alignment.

All this was going (on and off) before i took it for a wof.

Anyway, yesterday, i has to get the truck transported over to Just 4x4's as the crunching grinding noise was back, and worse than ever.

Turns out, the passenger side wheel bearing had completely collapsed (several wheeks ago from the looks) and the hub had around 25mm play in it (hence the shakes). Any more driving and the wheel would have come off.

Also, the drivers side was loose (no damage though).

Luckily, no scorring on the shaft (god knows how) and all fixed but, **** me, Onroad are going to get one nasty visit next week.

Even a blind man could have noticed the play in the bearing...

Interestingly, took the Spec C in on the same day (in perfect cond) and they failed it for uneven braking (after spending approx 3 times as long on it as every other vehicle).

They questioned the lack of air bags, the boot mounted intercooler spray tank, lack of boot interior, mufler (std RA R), had ALL the boys over to lok at it (and even questioned me when i said it was all factory).

Took it for a drive and did some hard braking a couple of times, took it straight back (got lots of filthy looks from the testers) but they had to pass it.

I had told them it had been parked up for a while and that was probably the problem with the brakes, but hey, it's their job to be unfair...

So, failed a perfectly safe car and, approved a wof for a dangerously unsafe truck...

Good one ONROAD!

Sounds like the issue I had with Onroad all those years ago in Palmy where they missed completely rooted struts that were leaking/sagged and well rooted...

Never been back

Scoobydoo']

[quote name='Optical said:

sounds like you need some diff oil with a friction modifier

/quote]

Yeah I'm gonna look into this... it's probably the only thing I want to change about the car...

It won't change anything.

It has been like that since i got it 2 1/2 years ago.

When i had the 'correct' oil put in, it got quieter, but that's what CUSCO LSD's do.

You will get used to it, trust me, i did. And, it only really does it at low speed...you need to drive it faster... ;D

wrx_lou said:

did you actualy watch them check it? cause they probably didnt even bother.

I know they checked that wheel, cause they told me i had a twisted brake line on that one...

Went down today, had a word to the boss about a seriously negligent test. explained the problem and, although he reckon'd he'd get onto it, i may make a bit more of an official complaint.

Ive had a couple of run ins with VTNZ when I had my silvia.

Got it green stickered about a week after its WOF for no cert for coilovers. Fixed them and took it in to get the sticker removed and they failed it for something else. So that was then fixed and took it back where it was failed for something different. In the end I told the guys in there that I am not leaving until everything had been checked and written down on the sheet, sighted and signed by the boss and he was happy that everything had been checked so that I could go on my merry way fix it and come back before my 28 days so I dont have to pay $90 again.

Glen']

[quote name='smurff said:

shale, thats not something i want to read at this time of the morning, b]my breakfast cheesecake[/b] can wait till later now i think

-smurff

Seriously?

Yep, caramel one from the cheesecake shop, took it in to work for my birthday, and had a few pieces left over. . . get for breaky

-smurff