Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fitting manual boost controller.

Andrew NR

I've just purchased a manual boost controller, for my '92 Legacy GT, from Apet. It looks just like one of these:

Manual-Boost-Controller-003.jpg

I need to confirm that on the boost controller the wastegate vacuum hose connects to the barb with the arrow and the boost source connects to the other barb. I can't figure out where to fit the T piece. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have an internal wastegate if that makes any difference.

Andrew NR said:

I've just purchased a manual boost controller, for my '92 Legacy GT, from Apet. It looks just like one of these:

Manual-Boost-Controller-003.jpg

I need to confirm that on the boost controller the wastegate vacuum hose connects to the barb with the arrow and the boost source connects to the other barb. I can't figure out where to fit the T piece. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have an internal wastegate if that makes any difference.

the t piece goes between the vac intake off the turbo straight to the wastegate ( just get a vac hose cut in half wack the tee piece in and one end goes on the turb the other goes on the waste gate actuator with arrow pointing towards wastegate ) as for the controller it self you have to connect the a hose from the top of the tee to the controller and the another line from the other nipple on controller to the nipple on the cold air box or your 'FAT TANK' if you have one

smokn4 said:

the t piece goes between the vac intake off the turbo straight to the wastegate ( just get a vac hose cut in half wack the tee piece in and one end goes on the turb the other goes on the waste gate actuator with arrow pointing towards wastegate ) as for the controller it self you have to connect the a hose from the top of the tee to the controller and the another line from the other nipple on controller to the nipple on the cold air box or your 'FAT TANK' if you have one

I've done a little diagram, is this basically correct?

MBCFitting.jpg

yea thats it, you just need to figure out which hoses go into which port sort of thing for the actuall controller,

i have one the same but when i hooked mine up i actually lost boost and i think i was running on wastegate pressure?? but that was mine and im interested to see how yours goes.

These can be mounted in-cabin but i suggest you mount it in the engine bay to keep the hoses as short as possible for best response.

G-unit said:

cant u just use them like a normal tap? no need for the T peice, turbo-tap-wastegate

I don't think so, at least not on internal wastegates. There is a spring loaded restrictor pill of sorts in the T piece (on the boost source side) that I image plays an important part.

smokn4 said:

yea thats it, you just need to figure out which hoses go into which port sort of thing for the actuall controller,

i have one the same but when i hooked mine up i actually lost boost and i think i was running on wastegate pressure?? but that was mine and im interested to see how yours goes.

These can be mounted in-cabin but i suggest you mount it in the engine bay to keep the hoses as short as possible for best response.

I don't think I've got anymore room in the firewall hole after fitting the boost gauge to fit 2 hoses for the boost gauge too ;D I'm happy for it to stay in the engine bay.

I'll let you know which way around the hoses went on the boost controller. We might be able to get a patern for the Apet controllers and make a sticky thread for installing them.

G-unit said:

oh ok, i had a racepro tap on and never had the T peice, mind u they dont come with them so these mat be a duffernt setup

Yeah, some of the ones I've seen on the net wouldn't need a T piece, you just install them between the wastegate and boost source.

Andrew NR']

[quote name='G-unit said:

cant u just use them like a normal tap? no need for the T peice, turbo-tap-wastegate

/quote]

I don't think so, at least not on internal wastegates. There is a spring loaded restrictor pill of sorts in the T piece (on the boost source side) that I image plays an important part.

i think they can be used without tee piece,

seen it done before , dunno how effective they are though without tee

Andrew NR']

[quote name='smokn4 said:

/quote]

I don't think I've got anymore room in the firewall hole after fitting the boost gauge to fit 2 hoses for the boost gauge too ;D I'm happy for it to stay in the engine bay.

I'll let you know which way around the hoses went on the boost controller. We might be able to get a patern for the Apet controllers and make a sticky thread for installing them.

yea bro let us know. ;D

If yours is the same as the one pictured i would be very interested in seeing if you can get it running reliably.

I have one of them that i spent ages pissing around with and never got it to hold even close to stable boost.

I ended up chucking it in the top of my toolbox and using a Gizzmo EBC.

madmike said:

If yours is the same as the one pictured i would be very interested in seeing if you can get it running reliably.

I have one of them that i spent ages pissing around with and never got it to hold even close to stable boost.

I ended up chucking it in the top of my toolbox and using a Gizzmo EBC.

yea had similar issues with mine, ended up just unhooking it and going back to factory boost solinoid and just leaving tjhe boost controler under bonnet just for looks,

interested in how this all pans out.

Guest itsgotgo

I had one the same,reality is they fall of boost about as quick as they reach it.

Had mine anywhere from 16psi to 20psi when i felt the need.

best thing i did was invest in a descent ebc,no more farking around ;)

rock solid boost day in day out 8)

But all the best,they do ok for the interim job

itsgotgo said:

Have you checked the original restrictor pill is still in the vac line.

not the controller . :)

that will be it, if it doesn't have a restrictive pill in the bottom line then it will spike to about 30PSI, in which you'll hit boost cut at 15PSI

i just used a MBC to save myself the hassle of finding one

Andrew NR said:

I'm only getting a spike up to 12 psi and then it settles at 8 to 9 psi with the stock boost controller. I intend on running only the aftermarket manual boost controller.

have you change any exhaust components? that might also cause spiking, change over a Downpipe? removed any cat's?

8-9PSI is the factory setting on the boost controller so that sounds right..