Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

White smoke coming from engine - BG5 legacy

Was driving car (1998 Subaru Legacy GTB Limited wagon) and when got home after longish drive, there was white smoke coming out of bonnet. Had a look and couldnt quite see where it was coming from, didnt really smell like the clutch. Took it into the mechanic today, it needed a service anyway so got a service and full engine flush done on it, plus got him to dry steam clean the whole engine bay as he suspected the white smoke to be oil burning on the exhaust pipes or something. So picked car up today, engine all cleaned and he cleaned all the oil etc off and he mentioned that both rocker gaskets are leaking and suggested replacing them. So not sure if this is the cause of the problem or not? Drove the car home and pulled into the shed, the same white smoke emitting from out of the engine still, opened it up and the white smoke was distinctly coming from the passenger side turbo area, and you could faintly hear something burning or something and thats definately the area where the smoke is coming from. Any idea on what the problem may be? still oil leaking? just replace the rocker gaskets are they are leaking? clutch problem maybe? (althought clutch appears to be fine and also the mechanic said clutch was good). or something else? turbo etc? is the passenger side turbo the primary or secondary?

any help would be appreciated as really want to get to the bottom of this.

cheers

Ninja edit (DV beat me to it)

Will be rocker cover gaskets as mine sometimes smell oily after a decent drive and both mine are needing to be replaced (....still)

Also could be a leak out the turbo oil return pipe? (dunno much bout TT system sorry)

yea the mechanic had a good look over the engine and he seems to think its the rocker gaskets. Is it not weird for them to emit smoke just from the passenger side only? Is it a big job to replace them, and expensive??

cheers

subleggtb said:

yea true, just hope its nothing to expensive, owning a subaru whilst being a student aint easy.lol

+1

Make it hard trying to find time to study and fix it ;) oh plus the money constraint

But they are worth owning, besides my last year so bring on the high paying job and car bling

DRFVDR said:

90% sure it the rocker cover gaskets

they are designed to leak by Subaru (cant be any other reason as they all do it )

Conspiracy between Subaru, the oil companies and silicon/gasket companies so they can sell more products ;)

subleggtb said:

Was driving car (1998 Subaru Legacy GTB Limited wagon) and when got home after longish drive, there was white smoke coming out of bonnet. Had a look and couldnt quite see where it was coming from, didnt really smell like the clutch. Took it into the mechanic today, it needed a service anyway so got a service and full engine flush done on it, plus got him to dry steam clean the whole engine bay as he suspected the white smoke to be oil burning on the exhaust pipes or something. So picked car up today, engine all cleaned and he cleaned all the oil etc off and he mentioned that both rocker gaskets are leaking and suggested replacing them. So not sure if this is the cause of the problem or not? Drove the car home and pulled into the shed, the same white smoke emitting from out of the engine still, opened it up and the white smoke was distinctly coming from the passenger side turbo area, and you could faintly hear something burning or something and thats definately the area where the smoke is coming from. Any idea on what the problem may be? still oil leaking? just replace the rocker gaskets are they are leaking? clutch problem maybe? (althought clutch appears to be fine and also the mechanic said clutch was good). or something else? turbo etc? is the passenger side turbo the primary or secondary?

any help would be appreciated as really want to get to the bottom of this.

cheers

sounds like what my Bd5 legacy did

cost me liek 300 bux all up to replace both rocker cover gaskets and it hasnt leaked oil from htere since, If u want you could try the cheaper ioption and get STP Stop oil leak , works a treat as it reconditions the seals in the enigine and stabilises the oil aswell, ive put it in mine because i think ether my oil pump or my cam seal is leaking.

Had the quote for the work to be carried out come throught today, all up gonna cost $400 to replace both rocker gaskets, with labour, all the bolts and seals etc, this seem reasonable? And does it most likely sound like the problem of where the white smoke is coming from? With oil leaking and burning off on the turbo/exhaust pipes? whtie smoke just emits from the passenger side turbo area only, is that the primary turbo?

cheers

DRFVDR']

[quote name='Zerobyte said:

Make sure they use genuine subaru gaskets and seals too, i had heaps of trouble with aftermarket ones.

/quote]

+ 1 zillion

do I have to break out my photo of the difference again :)

I'd be interested in seeing the difference :)

Koom']

[quote name='Zerobyte said:

Make sure they use genuine subaru gaskets and seals too, i had heaps of trouble with aftermarket ones.

/quote]

+ 1 zillion

do I have to break out my photo of the difference again :)

I'd be interested in seeing the difference :)

serial? post it up drf..

the gromets are sooo much thinner in the "aftermarket version" ==== a million x crap. You cant get enough squeeze out of them

This may be too late but i had the same problem, i got mechanic to check everything and he said the same... (its coming from the rocker covers, they all do it). So i got it done, drove back home and the same white smoke.... toke it back and he said its just something that these models doo.. So aafter getting frustrated at it, i got stuck into it. The problem was the cam seals were leaking, oil comming from cam seal, running down front of block filling in the timming cover and eventualy out the bottom and onto exhaust manifold. So get your mechanic to check that if he can.

hey mate, nah not too late, car is booked in this friday to get the rocker cover gaskets replaced. So when you say the cam seals were leaking, did you have to replace those as well? what did you do to fix the problem? and roughly what sort of cost extra? cheers