Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Ken Block's newest creation leaks out

While it's probably it's true, he's probably a bit of a show-off, atleast he's good at it. And that's what probably attracts his sponsors... and therefore he gets more money. More money, more showy = even more money. You must admit, his car control is pretty damn impressive.

Even though you don't like him, you know he drives a subaru and what he can do with it... and that's kind of the point.

Oh yes, he's undoubtedly one of the most talented out there. His car control is just awesome.

BUT explosions and random showy thingies are there for entertaining the twitching and drooling average...it certainly doesn't make him more talented than say, someone with just as much car control and nothing but a field of cones.

In fact I'd have more respect for someone that can do exactly the same without wasting resources blowing things up and having expensive, flashy camera work. It should be about driver skill (of which he has oodles), not about how 007 the videos can look. He doesn't NEED all the extra bullsh!t f@ggotry.

Shale said:

He doesn't NEED all the extra bullsh!t f@ggotry.

But it makes it look better to the viewer..Attracting more hits...Which is what the sponsers want...

Normal people that arent into cars will be less likely to watch someone skidding roudn cones as opposed to say a ken block video with the full shebang

You're bang on, that's exactly what happened at work. Lots of OOH AAH at hitting exploding things and dummies. Not necessarily at his ability to aim the car as precisely as he does.

Which makes him less of a driver and more of a salesman.

Most famous people are actually really lovely in real life. They were once mortals, after all ;D (Exception so far has been Amy Lee. Sister wanted to shake her hand, as she was her idol...got this look of 'Ew, mortal germs' instead)

Something that looks dangerous. Is more appealing. Driving under an exploding trailer. Is appealing :P

While I agree with you Shale. You can't really blame him. If you've got a talent, and someone has a way of making it more entertaining to wider audience, you'd probably allow him to do it. The more niche market can appreciate the driving and the wider public can enjoy the show.

He's a showman, and quite a good one at that. Plus he has tonnes of money to spend so why wouldn't he go and play with allsorts of random sh**te? Next thing he'll be joining WRC............oh wait, that's already happening.

Shale said:

Most famous people are actually really lovely in real life. They were once mortals, after all ;D (Exception so far has been Amy Lee. Sister wanted to shake her hand, as she was her idol...got this look of 'Ew, mortal germs' instead)

Hahha my mate got a kiss off her :P

Shale said:

You're bang on, that's exactly what happened at work. Lots of OOH AAH at hitting exploding things and dummies. Not necessarily at his ability to aim the car as precisely as he does.

Which makes him less of a driver and more of a salesman.

Yup thats right. Ken Block is doing what everyone in Motorsport wants/wishes they could do.

Thats bringing Motorsport to the general public.

People who never new anything are now dead keen to follow the sport

I guarantee crowd numbers at American rally events have increased since the release of these videos.

I have nothing but phrase for this man. Plus he is a bloody good business man (DC Shoes)

I've got a good phrase for it, actually...rather than praise (sorry, couldn't resist). I don't follow the Metal Licker sell-out theory - make money out of the general public minions by showing them lots of smoke and mirrors, and generic attack. Not fooled by it, if you will.

It will be interesting to see him measure up against the WRC drivers with no explosive, no marksmen and no slow-motion camera. If he can put Loeb in his place, he's done just that. Until then it's notable skill with a world-class film crew.

But I guess it speaks volumes about the human condition - show them cool, big stuff they don't entirely understand, and you can sell it over and over complete with a flavour sachet of Mindless Awe.

(Wait... there've been a couple of books that've been doing that for millenia...)

Yeah well it seems he does a lot of practice on one course... Would be quite keen to see him do WRC where you don't really get such luxuries, and are relying on someone sitting next to you to remember and get it accurate.

Shale said:

I've got a good phrase for it, actually...rather than praise (sorry, couldn't resist). I don't follow the Metal Licker sell-out theory - make money out of the general public minions by showing them lots of smoke and mirrors, and generic attack. Not fooled by it, if you will.

Haha yea fair enough.

To be honest I will be very surprised if he is able to compete with the Loeb and other top drivers in WRC. Its just a shame Subaru didnt manage to get a budget together to run a car for him.

Mind you this new Toyota/subaru coupe thing that everyone is talking about looks promiceing for a Subaru WRC comeback in years to come