Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

TD05H

tmuff88

Im running a TD05 on my RS Legacy - which is basically the same as an early WRX as far as setup goes - ie I have an air-air WRX intercooler and 380cc grey injectors. I also have a 3" exhaust from turbo back, chipped ecu and a Walbro fuel pump.

Goes ok, dont run more than 1 bar or it will detonate. Other than that, its not really been an issue.

Yep its down on power compared to any STi - runs a consistent 98mph at the drags, so thats roughly 130 to 140kw at the wheels at a guess?

However, all it needs is to run 20psi with an aftermarket ECU and injectors and it would move reasonably well.

wicked - thanks (that totally wasnt a bait)

I figured your post above hinted to your comment just now that injectors and a mild ecu tweak (a full ecu, inj, afm) package would net better gains that just a couple of them..

just getting the info outa ya for leighos to understand

380's will flow to 180kw at the wheels.

Munkvy said:

Im running a TD05 on my RS Legacy - which is basically the same as an early WRX as far as setup goes - ie I have an air-air WRX intercooler and 380cc grey injectors. I also have a 3" exhaust from turbo back, chipped ecu and a Walbro fuel pump.

Goes ok, dont run more than 1 bar or it will detonate. Other than that, its not really been an issue.

Why don't you get rid of that air to air interwarmer?

Any reliability issue running TD05? ie can the standard piston handle more boost? I know i might have to look into getting some STI injectors and an orange sticker AFM for better result. Don't mind a bit more top end power but don't want to fork out for a new engine (although it could be on the shopping list in a year or so).

tmuff88 said:

Any reliability issue running TD05? ie can the standard piston handle more boost? I know i might have to look into getting some STI injectors and an orange sticker AFM for better result. Don't mind a bit more top end power but don't want to fork out for a new engine (although it could be on the shopping list in a year or so).

AFM and Injectors aren't going to yield a better result per se, especially if you are concerned about reliability.

Look at about 1 bar of boost to be your limit.

BC5RA']

[quote name='Munkvy said:

/quote]

That was always the plan - however I have now caged the car and am nearly finished setting it up for rallying/rallysprints.

So Im a bit worried about when I find a bank and f*ck the front - as then I can say bye bye to the water cooler radiator or fmic. Secondly an air to air then means I have less stuff to squash against the radiator, Ive looked under alot of other rally car bonnets and air to air top mount is a pretty common trend in anything Subaru.

Ohh and theres also the reliability factor - FMIC has lots of hoses to have fail and water cooler has too many components that can break.

So in my opinion for rallying/rallysprints the air to air is best suited. However for any other scenario involving less than 250kw I would personally choose water cooler. All my own opinions of course - Im no expert!

Munkvy']

[quote name='Munkvy said:

/quote]

That was always the plan - however I have now caged the car and am nearly finished setting it up for rallying/rallysprints.

So Im a bit worried about when I find a bank and f*ck the front - as then I can say bye bye to the water cooler radiator or fmic. Secondly an air to air then means I have less stuff to squash against the radiator, Ive looked under alot of other rally car bonnets and air to air top mount is a pretty common trend in anything Subaru.

Ohh and theres also the reliability factor - FMIC has lots of hoses to have fail and water cooler has too many components that can break.

So in my opinion for rallying/rallysprints the air to air is best suited. However for any other scenario involving less than 250kw I would personally choose water cooler. All my own opinions of course - Im no expert!

Of course. Very good thinking, this is the Legacy in your pic?

I have a TD05 with 440cc injectors on a standard motor with an older possumlink and from 12psi im making 190kw at the wheels (rear wheels lol). Made some pretty gud torque too, 550nm.

i have a v2 wrx, running a td05h, had just split fuel rails and running 12psi at first and made a huge difference over the td04 but now have upgraded to a v2 sti-ra ecu which is tuned factory for the green afm and grey injectors so havent upgraded them, running bout 17psi at the moment and its pretty damn quick, no detonating. im also rwd drive so it spits the back out in the dry on full boost. havent done a dyno yet but hopefully soon.

tmuff88 said:

Hey driftrex, the mods you have is probably what i'll be looking to do in my WRX with the TD05. So 17psi is pretty safe with standard internal?

How awesome is that driving a rwd WRX!! ;D

yeah i also have adjustable fuel pressure reg and i have that set at bout 48psi, not tuned tho. oh i also have an external wastegate which helps keep the boost solid.

as for running 17psi i dont know how safe it is yet as i only bumped it up to 17psi yesterday, but its not detonating and thats what i would call safe (i wouldnt attempt it without split rails and ecu tho). drove from hamilton to tauranga last night and it ran really really well. time will tell tho.

and yes driving a rwd rex is farking awesome, makes the drive very interesting, hitting boost in 2nd gear in the dry it will let go if i let it ;D

driftrex']

[quote name='tmuff88 said:

Hey driftrex, the mods you have is probably what i'll be looking to do in my WRX with the TD05. So 17psi is pretty safe with standard internal?

How awesome is that driving a rwd WRX!! ;D

/quote]

yeah i also have adjustable fuel pressure reg and i have that set at bout 48psi, not tuned tho. oh i also have an external wastegate which helps keep the boost solid.

as for running 17psi i dont know how safe it is yet as i only bumped it up to 17psi yesterday, but its not detonating and thats what i would call safe (i wouldnt attempt it without split rails and ecu tho). drove from hamilton to tauranga last night and it ran really really well. time will tell tho.

and yes driving a rwd rex is farking awesome, makes the drive very interesting, hitting boost in 2nd gear in the dry it will let go if i let it ;D

What psi does the std sti ecu run before you "pumped" it up?

Rwd Rex sounds fun...

i think its 16psi but as i run an external wastegate and dont use the factory boost soleniod anymore, my boost is determined by whatever spring i put in the wastegate.

rwd is fun but i gotta say that i in no way encourage skids or speeding or the like.

driftrex said:

i think its 16psi but as i run an external wastegate and dont use the factory boost soleniod anymore, my boost is determined by whatever spring i put in the wastegate.

rwd is fun but i gotta say that i in no way encourage skids or speeding or the like.

;) noice work mate..