Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

wrx motor in twinturbo PLEASE HELP

twinturbowag

Drunkenmonkey said:

if your a bg5a its a major no one has done it on here that i no but we are in the process of doing it

Did it about two years ago. There's a spreadsheet in ReubenH's thread with the different 4-plug ECU pinouts and how to combine them. Really in the end its not worth the effort and you'd be better off switching it to 3-plug STI stuff as there is three of the four plugs that physically fit and you just need to re-wire for the better ECU.

Guest vf20/21bg5

cool thats all good to know as after my "semi monster tune" engine build ill be putting it in a bg5a running a 4 plug ecu.....i did wonder about the 3 plug swap and what one was worth doing over the other any why......... i was going to study it more near the time my engine is built and ready to go in but that wont be for a while anyway....how long do the threads stay on here for?weeks,months,years?hope thy dont fall off or dissapear within the year as im sure to need the info soon enuf ;D

vf20/21bg5 said:

cool thats all good to know as after my "semi monster tune" engine build ill be putting it in a bg5a running a 4 plug ecu.....i did wonder about the 3 plug swap and what one was worth doing over the other any why......... i was going to study it more near the time my engine is built and ready to go in but that wont be for a while anyway....how long do the threads stay on here for?weeks,months,years?hope thy dont fall off or dissapear within the year as im sure to need the info soon enuf ;D

forever assuming the database doesnt lunch itself..

but: file>save as is your freind.

Guest vf20/21bg5

lol...the data base better not dissapear!!!!!!!!!!! :D

as for a loom i wonder if a v5 loom will match up to my loom without and major auto electrical bill????...are the v3/4 and 5/6 standard wrx looms fairly simila??? i do know they can run either 3 or 4 plug ecu's and knowing that the 3 plug is more common and easier to work with i think ill go that way>>>>>>>>

.....any suggestions on the matter involving bg5a chassis loom matching up to wrx v5/6 engine loom?????????

vf20/21bg5 said:

lol...the data base better not dissapear!!!!!!!!!!! :D

as for a loom i wonder if a v5 loom will match up to my loom without and major auto electrical bill????...are the v3/4 and 5/6 standard wrx looms fairly simila??? i do know they can run either 3 or 4 plug ecu's and knowing that the 3 plug is more common and easier to work with i think ill go that way>>>>>>>>

.....any suggestions on the matter involving bg5a chassis loom matching up to wrx v5/6 engine loom?????????

That's not going to happen, the V5/6 use a HEI coilpack that uses no ignitor, and a 6-wire stepper type ICV rather than a 3-wire AC solenoid valve... You would need to heavily modify your body loom, and use the V5/6 ECU also.

Also: 4-plug single turbo ECUs are completely incompatible with the stock BG5A TT wiring, the BG5A is a nightmare, good luck.

vf20/21bg5 said:

oh **** i think ill turn to what ReubenH's done then :o

As I said earlier, it can be done, but you have to re-wire the plugs to work with either a 4-plug or a 3-plug ECU but its a major pain in the ass either way. I mention the 3-plug option as if you're keeping standard ECU's then the 3-plug ones are better. Or you could just buy a wire-in aftermarket ECU ;)

Guest vf20/21bg5

...a wire in aftermarket ecu?......with my 300kw(max) "semi monster tune" i will be replacing my stock ecu anyway with an aftermarket one(adjustable?????) but thought that thy either piggy-backed my ecu or that you buy a harness adaptor to to suit your model to run the aftermarket ecu....if this all sound strange then im sorry cause i havnt done my homework in this area yet and am not sure....maybe some-one can shed sum light on it for me as so i know for wen i need it for my tune later on in nxt yr...

so lets say ive got my new v2 closed deck block in with all v5 heads/valve train and engine loom(so basicly a v5 engine with all v5 sensors etc and aftermarket mods)...and th engines sitting thr in the bg5a.....do i have a major headach attaching the v5 engine loom to the harness under the main fuse box or do i change that harness too to v5 all the way to the ecu??????(which im thinking)...then from thr get an aftermarket ecu wired in???????please sum1 shed some light on this as now that ive started reading into it my brain cant rest untill i know it :P ;D

Not sure if the engine loom will plug into the body loom in those two different versions. Think some had round plugs and some had square but I don't really have any experience with differences in those plugs.

You could get an aftermarket ECU that is intended for a V3 STI (for example) and then you'd have to re-pin the ECU plugs so that it matches up there with what the ECU is expecting, which is more work than wiring in a wire-in ECU. (Same if you got one for an early WRX, single turbo Legacy and you'd have to re-pin for that style then). Most aftermarket ECU's are available in just a plain wire in version (might be able to find an early Link for cheapish, later wire-in ones cost more than the plug ins I think...don't quote me on that though) and you just need to run power etc and then wire's to the necessary sensors. My flatmate did this years ago when single turbo'ing his GTB and it wasn't too difficult at all to get it working.

Most aftermarket ECU's used to come in wire-in form and then the plug-in ones were cut down versions. Plug-ins and harness adapters were made so people weren't scared off by the thought of changing ECU's I reckon.

For 300kw, you'd want at least a G3 Link (upgraded to G4 firmware ;) ) as the earlier ones are a bit too simple to run that much reliably. There's plenty of other options as well but Link is one of the more popular options.

Guest vf20/21bg5

ok cool thanx for that...ill study the link options over the comming months to get the right aplication,as for the wiring im sure i could sort it myslf from pointers off here wen i do the conversion,cheers guys

vf20/21bg5 said:

...a wire in aftermarket ecu?......with my 300kw(max) "semi monster tune" i will be replacing my stock ecu anyway with an aftermarket one(adjustable?????) but thought that thy either piggy-backed my ecu or that you buy a harness adaptor to to suit your model to run the aftermarket ecu....if this all sound strange then im sorry cause i havnt done my homework in this area yet and am not sure....maybe some-one can shed sum light on it for me as so i know for wen i need it for my tune later on in nxt yr...

so lets say ive got my new v2 closed deck block in with all v5 heads/valve train and engine loom(so basicly a v5 engine with all v5 sensors etc and aftermarket mods)...and th engines sitting thr in the bg5a.....do i have a major headach attaching the v5 engine loom to the harness under the main fuse box or do i change that harness too to v5 all the way to the ecu??????(which im thinking)...then from thr get an aftermarket ecu wired in???????please sum1 shed some light on this as now that ive started reading into it my brain cant rest untill i know it :P ;D

See my previous post regarding the electrical incompatibilities, this WILL include plugs, due to the wire-count being different.

Guest vf20/21bg5

hi,aparantly i can use v3/4 coil pack and external igniter set up on my bg5 as ReubenH has done and told me to do which ill be converting to on the weeknd just untill i get my engine built but could the v3/4 coil pack set up be used on a v5/6 engine with the right re-wiring? or are the looms just way too different frm v3/4 to v5/6?

vf20/21bg5 said:

hi,aparantly i can use v3/4 coil pack and external igniter set up on my bg5 as ReubenH has done and told me to do which ill be converting to on the weeknd just untill i get my engine built but could the v3/4 coil pack set up be used on a v5/6 engine with the right re-wiring? or are the looms just way too different frm v3/4 to v5/6?

You're still going to have the problem of the idle control valve, and finding a home for those extra three wires. my advice would simply be to use v3/4 heads/manifold/wiring, that way, it'll at least all plug in, even if the pinning may be wrong and require some wire swapping, at least you wont be making life hard for yourself so to speak.

Guest vf20/21bg5

...oh dear ,ive already got the v5 heads because thy are the heads recomended by performance engine builders and work to be done to them has already been planed and soon to be started.....i think ill just have to bite the bullet and pay an auto electritian a grand or so to sort it all out when comes the time as i had to do a few yrs back when i put an 1600doch turbo tx3i 4x4 engine in a later model fwd familia....was very costly lol.....cheers for your help

Guest vf20/21bg5

um i dont think so as far as i know but i could be wrong.......at v5/6 subaru fully redesigned cylinder head and camshafts including intake manifold runner length and plenum size(quoted).....then from v7/8 they went to smaller cylinder head ports etc which performance engine builders wernt too happy with so thats why thy recomend v5/6 heads as agood base for any type of monster tune or upgrade

Guest boostin
 Drunkenmonkey said:

IIRC v3/4 manifold should bolt onto v5 heads???? or did the layout change?

The bolt patterns on the heads are completely different.

Now to state some things that have already been said... Without going aftermarket, the only option is to change to a single turbo ECU. Due to the fact TT 4-plugs are weird and don't have the same pinouts as Single turb 4-plugs, you gotta re-pin the ecu. The work required is about the same as it would be to convert to a 3-plug single turbo ECU, which gives you the option of later going to an STi with yellow injectors, and the big orange AFM.

Forrester 3-Plug ECU's run grey injectors, as do some V3/4 WRX ECU's, and work fine with all the 4-plug gear.

Now, i've been working on making an adaptor harness, so that you can plug your 3-plug ECU into your 4-plug loom, but i've not finished with the wiring. I have a few missing ends, and need to talk to someone who's played with these things before...