Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

A bit of help for a noob

Sorry in advance to mods if this is posted in the wrong place!

Im looking for a WRX - STI (I think) and I dont know anything about them.

The shape I want is this...

http://i36.tinypic.com/o8w7bk.jpg

or anything similar, im not too fussed as long as its not a wagon - too big for me!

Im looking to spend anywhere between 5-9 K however the purchase would be based on the sale of my current ride (S13 Silvia RB25DET 240kW on 10PSi)

I'd like a little advice on what to look out for with dodgy sales, like how do i tell if the car has been raped apart from just asking the owner. How often should general maintenance on the engines be done etc etc.

Any help at all would be awesome, as I know absolutely ZIP about subys...

Thanks heaps :)

Jess

looks to be a version 5 but hard to tell with that diferent front kit they a good solid car and you may even be able to pick a standard one up for 9k i know SPANKU was sellin his type r sti for a while thats a real cool car as for your other q hard to know what a cars motor con is in best to get someone in the know to have a look for you possibly

What you're looking at there is a Type R - the 2-door STi. They have no ABS, and have DCCD (driver controlled centre differential). Enormously fun to drive. You'll be looking at the outer end of your budget for one of those, as above.

Sedans can be cheaper, and wagons often cheaper still. Wagons btw are the same size ;)

For your reference, that is a GC8 chassis :)

The WRX and the STi are a bit different - the STi is the top model (consider GT-R, perhaps) whereas the WRX is essentially just an Impreza with a turbo (still buckets of fun). STis only come in manual.

Back three years ago or so, those things were still fetching close to 20k for a GOOD one ;)

if it is a wrx or sti it will have been raped.

its finding the ones that have been well serviced whilst being raped that is the key.

Please do not take advice from shale with regards to buying a WRX or STi as she has never owned one. Thats all i will say on the matter.

You will be able to pick up a decent STi for 9k but it will potentially require lots of time and shopping around.

I would actually advise you to save up a little more and purchase a really nice example.

Sans was selling for 9k as he really wanted a particulr car in a hurry and I dont think he would let it go for anywhere near that if he was selling with time on his side.

haha youll have fun in one of those, i actually have a friend who is trying to sell one. the DCCD that they have is awesome - wind it back for fun on gravel and grass. best way to go would be a dealer (warranty cover) or you can buy warranties from AA or similar places, usually for under a couple of grand, but its well worth it for the peace of mind.

Thanks guys

The diff thing sounds familiar - i remember someone saying to look out for one with a center controlled diff or something along those lines. I would really be looking to spend 9K tops - so anything under that would be good.

I do like the wagons, but personally would prefer a coupe or 4 door

Go on buy a wagon ;)

I would recommend the STI for sure as stated above. Also being a STI owner plenty of fun to drive ;D

There seem to be a few coupes and sedans on trademe at the mo

Yea I saw that one, planning on going an havin a look . But dont want to muck the seller around - as my car isnt sold yet I want to have th cash to take along with me. I know id hate it if sumone showed up to look at my sil and test drove it then said, yeah I dont actually have any money so Ill let you know when my car sells..

iSLIPT said:

Yea I saw that one, planning on going an havin a look . But dont want to muck the seller around - as my car isnt sold yet I want to have th cash to take along with me. I know id hate it if sumone showed up to look at my sil and test drove it then said, yeah I dont actually have any money so Ill let you know when my car sells..

+1 for not being a tyre kicker!

iSLIPT, i suggest you listen to the advice in this thread. And definetelly watch out when buying, the more modified it is, the sooner it will blow up.

Do not modify the car yourself, till you fully know the in's and outs of said mods, and their effect on the car.

To go off topic a bit...

slawtd said:

if you're looking for a Coupe, there is one on Trademe for 9k flat. and... is in kapiti ::)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/WRX/auction-258088141.htm

That type R... has orange tails and a pre face lift rear bumper. My russian intellegence computer says it's a V4 STi RA, GC8E2DD. Dunno what's going on here, but that's not just a type R, might be an RA coupe. AFIAK, They do exsist, and were badged as just a type R.. i also suspect it's been de-riced, prolly had ricer tails and a body kit...

Got my V4 STI coupe (type R) for $7200, but its a little rough here and there. Came with some fruit though (exhaust, external, front mount, ECU). Seems to be a bit of a jump in price to V5's and up though. Sedans are definately cheaper and wagons cheaper again. STIs of course command more than WRXes.

What to look for... the usual things really.

-Rust (boot, chassis rails, sills, firewall, A/C pillars, around windscreens, etc)

-Leaks from rocker cover gaskets are common (crawl under the car and look at the ends of the engine next to chassis rails) - this can be expensive-ish to fix

-Any signs of overheating etc (if possible look at the car when its cold and check the header tank is full), they can crack the radiator endtanks sometimes, and blown headgaskets will usually end the motor

-Knocks from suspension indicating worn shocks (other than shocks subys seem pretty good for suspension reliability)

-Shuddering under braking (warped rotors, will cost a couple hundred at most)

-Check the DCCD works if it has it, turn it all the way down, do a U turn, it should be silent. Then turn it up to locked and do another U turn, it should clunk around a bit.

-Avoid anyone selling their car as a "singapore spec sti" ;D (sorry bit of a forum joke)

If it has a front mount, check if they've cut chassis to fit it.

There is also a good thread http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,5731.15.html here, post number 3 will give you an idea on different facelifting of the GC8's.

Good luck and have fun.

Also - when you view a car, jot down the VIN from the firewall, so you can check it matches the plate! Plus you can call your local friendly Subaru dealer and check what sort of spec it really is, as they can tell you if it's actually an STI or not.

Thanks for the advice peeps :)

I am looking for something standard and dont really intend to modify it at all. I have been through modifying enough and its draining financially and physically lol, here are some before and after pics of my 1st silvia....

P1010082-1.jpg

1.jpg

Went from fully standard, N/A auto, to manual, turbo, adjustables, engine mods, boosting 18PSi etc etc

No u werent :P I arranged a 1-1 with Harriet hahaha that sounds dodge. I think i did see u at the track day a couple days later at Ruapuna - you had the disc Harriet made wth all the photos on :)

Haha yup thats the one... Islpt I always thought meant I Slept lol :P which I was never going to ask what that meant haha

Im sure I've seen it more then once at evolve meets lol

1 on 1 time and no invite whatsup with that... Geez cmon ladies :D

Nah I haven't got the disc unfortunately.

WRXER said:

Haha yup thats the one... Islpt I always thought meant I Slept lol :P which I was never going to ask what that meant haha

Im sure I've seen it more then once at evolve meets lol

1 on 1 time and no invite whatsup with that... Geez cmon ladies :D

Nah I haven't got the disc unfortunately.

lol my plate is IslIpt silly :P as in slippery silvia - makes it hard to get away with accidental drifts in the wet tho. you cant really use the i slipt officer thing when ya got that plate on hahaha

Nah cos im from Welly I went down to Chch last year for the meet they did at the drifts at Ruapuna and that was it.

And i meant u had the disc and I grabbed it off you lol