Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Chinese made turbos

wildturkey

QRAF said:

triangles for the win ;D

if you are into drifting 4wd and understeerings.

they are rated 1 star they can do the same speed but not so well in stopping

there is also BCT which are china made

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SPANKU']

[quote name='QRAF said:

triangles for the win ;D

/quote]

if you are into drifting 4wd and understeerings.

they are rated 1 star they can do the same speed but not so well in stopping

there is also BCT which are china made

I wouldn't put BCT on anyone Subaru, i have them on the rear of mine, i can get them sideways in the dry without trying, they are pretty crappy tryes (IMHO)

i have a set on the rear and my car over steers all the time, even on nice corners doing the speed limit, sometime even less

in 6 months they have only worn by .5 of a mm (according to VTNZ WOF sheet)

New TD06 off some Chinese manufacturer would cost me about $800....im considering it, but thinking a rebuilt unit from the wreckers would give me better peace of mind. Definately subscribed to this thread.

DPI']

If i can't have a 500kW moster with big name parts, i'll do it on the cheap with chinese crap parts... :D

If you can't afford to buy the right gear, you can't afford to do it, period!

I think it has less to do with this, and more to do with that old chestnut "you get what you pay for"

What performance / reliability / driveability / quality difference is there between a $2000 turbo and a $50000 (WRC?) turbo? Some, but it's not the end of the world.

What performance / reliability / driveability / quality difference is there between a $2000 turbo and a $500 chinese turbo? Some, but it's not the end of the world.

There is value for money to be had in those chinese turbos. You won't have the same longevity, driveability etc as a quality turbo, but it's not exactly going to be a $500 paperweight.

I would note that you can still buy a cheap turbo from reputable suppliers and have good after sales support. For example redline perforamce have $595 no-name TO4E's and $645 TD05's sitting right next to their $2100 garrett and $9000 HKS turbos on their website. And have been nothing buy a pleasure to buy from on several occasions.

By all means avoid DSR as one poster in this thread has pointed out, but that's no reason to avoid chinese stuff on the whole. Some japanese / NZ parts are crap too, come to think of it...

[quote name='DPI said:

Once you've got your cheap Chinese mosta turbo on and making 500kW, you gonna run high performance TRIANGLE tyres too?

Turbo fails - worst case scenario you tow the car home

Tyres fail - worst case scenario you die

Don't see how chinese tyres have anything with this? Tyres are a different kettle of fish as they are a safety thing, perhaps more than a performance thing.

Good discussion, keep it going!

From what I've seen, the Chinese are fairly good at casting - in some cases outperforming the real thing when it comes to inclusions and porosity in the casting. Reverse engineering is a particular strength also.

However in some cases these castings are then machined well below standard. Beware the reseller/manufacturer/box packer who doesn't check the quality themselves before giving it to you. This applies to any product that comes from (ie packed and marketed in) countries other than China too. I've had plenty of stuff from the US that wasn't up to scratch too. Might have been made in China, or might not have been, but the failure was the lack of quality control that allowed it to be sent to the end customer.

At the end of the day, it is up to you (and me) as the end user to make sure the part is fit for the purpose, since no warranty will be stood by if anything is modified - and isn't this the real reason we were looking for the go-fast part in the first place? If I was to buy a Chinese turbo I would absolutely check everything possible including pulling the housings off it and sending it to get balanced, even if it voided the warranty (since it will be of no use to me anyway). If I couldn't get the seals, orings, or spares to be able to do this, I wouldn't buy it.

I've been building engines and gearboxes, and racecars they go in, for a while and the success or failure of the assembly as a whole relies on the detail (check, improve where possibe, check and check again) and compatibility of every single little part. Keep in mind something like a rod bolt is not the place to try and save 50%, but a blown turbo seal might not be much more than an inconvenience depending on the application.

In my opinion what it comes down to is that time costs money. Parts from a source with a good name for quality are going to be more expensive than parts from somewhere that doesn't spend the time (money) to ensure or check the quality of what gets to us before we unpack it. In some cases it's perfectly fine to save that money because the underlying quality of the part is fine, but we sure as hell need to spend some time to check it before we bolt the thing on. In other cases the quality is just inferior and no matter how well we detail something, it will be bound to fail anyway. It is still up to you to make that call, or to find an expert that can. Some will take the gamble, some won't, and some will be ignorant and buy the cheapest piece regardless.

heres one of the turbo that was brought from DP. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=260242461

seems like another buyer had the same problem. they do replace it or repair it

this turbo was going for $350 if it wasnt too big i would had brought it

but i really would like to know someone that has try the china made turbo before we judge it

so whos going to be the first? maybe brad i heard hes rich

Erelyes said:

Turbo fails - worst case scenario you tow the car home

worst case scenario oil seal fails catchs fire burns car to the ground, hopefully without u still in it.

SPANKU said:

heres one of the turbo that was brought from DP. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=260242461

seems like another buyer had the same problem. they do replace it or repair it

this turbo was going for $350 if it wasnt too big i would had brought it

but i really would like to know someone that has try the china made turbo before we judge it

so whos going to be the first? maybe brad i heard hes rich

mine should be running in about 2 months all going to plan so will definately let you all know how it goes.

Yeah.

As to the tyres and turbo having anything to do with each other; it's a case of attitude.

Triangle tyres are Sh1t; don't bother telling me they are good to drift on, or your sisters husband's friend had some and they were good, it's crap, they are sh1t, end of story.

Still, people will go out and buy them because they can't afford a proper tyre., instead of waiting and saving until they can.

It's the 'I WANT IT NOW' attitude, which also applies to cheap turbos, guages, exhausts, suspension and anything else you can think of.

Yes, some cheap stuff is fine, it's non critical and works, but there are some things you should not skimp on.

Forget the price side of it for a moment, as price isn't always a good indication.

You can buy a part that is from a manufacturer (say subaru) and it'll cost x amount of $$, or you can buy a generic part which is produced in a factory controlled by a corperation who still have quality control, and test their products but use cheaper labor and sell it for a reduced price; or, you can buy a cheap chinese copy.

It may have been made from proper material, or maybe not; who would know as there is no quality control. If it does fail, don't even think about having any support, the importer has long ago dumped his stock and moved into cellphones or something and will not be returning your calls cause he dont care.

Don't confuse a product made in china, under licence, for a reputable brand with some cheap pig iron copy made in a factory god knows where, that shut down once they made enough to make a profit.

DPI said:

Yeah.

As to the tyres and turbo having anything to do with each other; it's a case of attitude.

Triangle tyres are Sh1t; don't bother telling me they are good to drift on, or your sisters husband's friend had some and they were good, it's crap, they are sh1t, end of story.

Still, people will go out and buy them because they can't afford a proper tyre., instead of waiting and saving until they can.

It's the 'I WANT IT NOW' attitude, which also applies to cheap turbos, guages, exhausts, suspension and anything else you can think of.

Yes, some cheap stuff is fine, it's non critical and works, but there are some things you should not skimp on.

Forget the price side of it for a moment, as price isn't always a good indication.

You can buy a part that is from a manufacturer (say subaru) and it'll cost x amount of $$, or you can buy a generic part which is produced in a factory controlled by a corperation who still have quality control, and test their products but use cheaper labor and sell it for a reduced price; or, you can buy a cheap chinese copy.

It may have been made from proper material, or maybe not; who would know as there is no quality control. If it does fail, don't even think about having any support, the importer has long ago dumped his stock and moved into cellphones or something and will not be returning your calls cause he dont care.

Don't confuse a product made in china, under licence, for a reputable brand with some cheap pig iron copy made in a factory god knows where, that shut down once they made enough to make a profit.

i only know a few people that use them but not in any performance tires, im glad that i talked one guy that has a legacy in out of getting them.

i always recommended dunlop sportmaxx to everyone as i have experience with most of the street tires that everyone used eg. T1Rs, F1s and some few others. i have my Spost Maxx for over a year now and went through 3 track day and a couple off road evens and i still got lot of meat left. if wasnt for the punchers on the corner the tire i will have saved myself over $500 for a set of two, try doing all these with the triangles

i also proven that you can use 18" on the track also! hahah

driftrex']

[quote name='SPANKU said:

what one do you have? the TD05 20G?

/quote]

nope this is the one i have ;D

http://www.drivenperformance.co.nz/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1235

$499!!! thats cheap! did you get it for that price or cheaper? for $500 i wouldnt mind trying it out

ooh its for external wastegate. what a shame i gave my 38mm TIAL away already

SPANKU']

/quote]

$499!!! thats cheap! did you get it for that price or cheaper? for $500 i wouldnt mind trying it out

in which case it can find it way back ;)

Bazza-NZ']

/quote]

i aint no Indian giver

SPANKU']

/quote]

i aint no Indian giver

HAHA in the name of science - we can sort out this thread and chuck a turbo on your car, see how long it lasts, get rid of those lumpy cam VF22

Otherwise - THIS MIGHT DO THE JOB

VF39 with less than 5000k's on the clock (delivery k's)... $300... That's how you do it. :P

Bought off a subaru engineer who snagged it off a USDM Ver. 8 STi test car.

On subject though

I'd rather not touch anything of poor build quality, where it comes from is irrelevant. I used to love HKS for example, but i've had part after part from them f*ck out on me. Muffler, air filter, EVC-III... The air filter is expected, but the others... Items i'd rather not have die after spending so much money on. So i won't be buying from them again (but i really do want a new EVC... call it a forbidden addiction).

At the end of the day, when you're spending on parts, you don't want them to fuck out. And these chinese turbo's don't have allot going for them to be honest (from what i'm seeing in this thread that is).

ReubenH said:

VF39 with less than 5000k's on the clock (delivery k's)... $300... That's how you do it.

I'd rather not touch anything of poor build quality, where it comes from is irrelevant. I used to love HKS for example, but i've had part after part from them f*ck out on me. Muffler, air filter, EVC-III... The air filter is expected, but the others... Items i'd rather not have die after spending so much money on. So i won't be buying from them again (but i really do want a new EVC... call it a forbidden addiction).

i dont really anything HKS full stop apart from their stickers just to make my car look riced

SPANKU']

/quote]

cost me just over, bout $550 once you add on gst and postage, and yea is for external wastegate use as i have always run an external anyway, and because the turbo is so damn big it most likely wouldnt fit if it had a actuator hanging off the side of it.

i know for a fact just because its new doesn't mean its going to work.

some cars are just lemons sorry you bought a dud, it does happen.

like driftrex said we need more experience from them i guess, so good on him for buying it.

I played it safe and upgraded to a little 2nd hand vf22 was best $450 i ever spend on my car well it did need a evc($200) to up the boost later on tho. That and a lot of time from some top blokes giving me a hand to install it and get it setup properly. ;)

Qwerty said:

The problem with chinese stuff is its not all equal in quality. Some good, average and poor.

Some of the manufacters get a bit greedy and skimp on the quality. Short sighted management.

I mean if you start making poison baby milk formula to increase your profit margins... some people there are not going to worry about making poor quality turbos to make a quick buck

Very true on this...

My Work brought a lot of brand new Chinese made school buses. Every one Ive driven is totally different ::) even tho they are exactly the same bus model and everything.

Bascally you place your order and with in 24hrs your brand new bus rolls of the assembly ready to be shipped.

My bus is not even one year old yet and its got alot of things have broken or stopped working on it.

Rev counter does not work, broken two engine mounts with in 2 weeks, Raditors leaking ( not my bus ) , Window wipers packed up ( not my bus ) plus lots of others stuff etc.

I beleave my bus has a copy of a Cummings Diesel Turbo motor.

It has still yet to go bang tho lol :P still running fine

They leak oil like a siv