• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Chinese made turbos

wildturkey

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way i've seen it done is you get someone wanting to make money so they look at the turbo retail market and see lots of people with garrett gt35r's so they find someone in china who copies turbos and sends them one and says copy it i'll have 500 of them. they make one or two as samples, send them over, the guy who set it up knows nothing about turbos, runs the turbo for about a month, goes ok, hold together and then says yep i'll have the rest.

Now he knows nothing really about whats in it or if he was told what was in he wouldn't know anyway. I have seen this done. This is not copying to make better or the same it is copying to make cheaper only.

this is a completely retarded question.

all of the big electronics brands generally make thier items in china.

is the quality bad due to this? no.

Its because its a crappy company that has less stringent quality controls.

Go to shenzhen china, you will find pretty much every major brand in the world with factories there even your precious apple computers!!!!!!

Yeah, but it's not the legit chinese maufacturing plants you need to worry about...

It's not like the dodgy ones advertise the fact by selling something way, way under a legit copies retail price...oh, no, wait a sec....

Guest crunchy

well rac is pretty much on the money they want a quick buck and don't know a dam thing about turbos.

as far as R8TD_R has said about throwing number 3 in if you add that cost of all three and the time taken to do each one you would have a better oem brand in there now and not touching it.

throwing cheap at a cheap is i guess what happens but putting cheap into the nice rides you guys own doesn't do them justice or make sense.

the stock turbo that's being taken out is far more superior than the rubbish going in.

I'm not pushing my business here and i really don't need the work but what i make is NZ made using NZ materials and companies and i only use oem parts which aren't that badly priced anymore.

i did one of my td06/5 setups on a yellow two door sub( 2ltr ) that tipped the dyno at just under 400kw at ALL FOURS and turned a 10.84,not bad for something made in your own backyard as such.

Ive always said that people will only spend whats in there wallet and that will never change,but the worst thing in this country is the tall poppy syndrome until these kiwis become famous overseas we bag them!!

human nature i guess but you just never know whats happening right under your nose ,wink wink

From my experiance most those cheep turbos don't last too well on any thing over about 15psi, they run out of efficiancy and just pump hot air. there luck of the draw with how long they last. and more often then not a stock turbo when tuned with an aftermarket ecu is a better setup then a cheep one.

We did an rb25det at work, 250kw with a cheep turbo on 14psi and 265kw on 18-19psi. same car same mods with a gt3076R 14psi made 280kw. 16psi 300+kw and full boost 1200rpm earlier down to 3200.

We have also done similar tests on SR20s with the stock T28 verse a cheep turbo thats supposed to be a bolt on upgrade.

16psi both cars made about 200kw. the T28 came on alot earlier 500-1000rpm. and holds boost better too.

so I try avoid selling chinese turbos from these results, as even though they have warranties there not always coverd by the seller as there is so meny variable factors that can cause a cheep turbo to fail in there eyes.

I have one of crunchys TD05/6s that was indended for a subaru, though its on an rb25det.. my power curve on the same boost at the GT3076R mentioned above is very similar suprisingly..

GETLOW: i think you may have my old turbo Murch built for me. Not suprising really as its about the same size as a gt3076r, even a little bigger on the compressor side. That turbo has fantastic response above its boost threshold !!!!!! very very fun to drive.

• 1 month later...
Guest boostcut

you can clearly see that its an oiling issue there mate^^^^

the shaft is blue around the bearings.. thats why it has snapped the shaft.

Guest crunchy

having oil issues doesnt mean it would brake a shaft thats a different issue.

the blueing around the bearing journal can point to oil, but with the chinese units ive done reports on point to the wrong bearing material being used along with wrong bearing clearances.

put a magnet on the turbine wheel, if it sticks in anyway theres another reason for brakage.

if a ball bearing turbo was replaced with a plain then yes the feed holes need to be open accordingly or unit will fail

And when the bearings fail because they are crap and or the balance is out the wheels can hit the housings causing what you see there.

They are all rubbish.

crunchy said:

having oil issues doesnt mean it would brake a shaft thats a different issue.

the blueing around the bearing journal can point to oil, but with the chinese units ive done reports on point to the wrong bearing material being used along with wrong bearing clearances.

put a magnet on the turbine wheel, if it sticks in anyway theres another reason for brakage.

if a ball bearing turbo was replaced with a plain then yes the feed holes need to be open accordingly or unit will fail

hey crunchy, since your the man to talk to when it comes to turbos, can you please advise me what size the feed holes need to be on my chinese gt30 turbo (plain bearings), car had a td04 on it standard, im using a dash 4 braided feed line but just wondering bout the banjo bolt into the block whether i need to drill it out a bit to be safe?

i want to minumise the risk of premature failure. thanks.

Guest crunchy
 QRAF said:

what makes a turbo whistle when spooling?

ok ill try to keep this simple, turbos go threw three levels of freq to which two can be heared.

the first is around 20,000rpm to which is a low whistle which can sometimes be heared the second is pre boost and last is around 100,000.

the pre boost is that faint whistle most can hear after the mufflers are removed, eg the air filter or open exhaust.

whistling doesnt always means an out of balance it can be as ray has said anit surge or obstruction like a intake gasket or leaking gaskets.

balancing is more related to life expectancey than anything,out of balance isnt high on the list for a turbo to failures as oil is the 95% of turbo killers.

most units that fail do so upon install or with the first 10mins to which the damage shows later.

i have been asked before to make the turbo whistle cause it sounds cool,which it can do sometimes

Guest crunchy

hey crunchy, since your the man to talk to when it comes to turbos, can you please advise me what size the feed holes need to be on my chinese gt30 turbo (plain bearings), car had a td04 on it standard, im using a dash 4 braided feed line but just wondering bout the banjo bolt into the block whether i need to drill it out a bit to be safe?

i want to minumise the risk of premature failure. thanks.

not bagging here but a gt turbo is a garrett not a knock off, the feed hole should be 2-2.5mm and -3an feed line and 19mm/3/4 return.

who ever sold it to you should be advising what to do,but i dought they could tell

crunchy said:

not bagging here but a gt turbo is a garrett not a knock off, the feed hole should be 2-2.5mm and -3an feed line and 19mm/3/4 return.

who ever sold it to you should be advising what to do,but i dought they could tell

thats ok i know i bought a knock off, i call it a gt30 cause thats whats written on it lol, was merely asking as i have misplaced the sheet that came with it with the specs and all, and i know your a knowledgeable person when it comes to turbos.

but thanks, will check to make sure the feed hole is big enough.

Guest crunchy

not a problem and i shouldnt bag those who have brought one as not everyone has money these days i just dont like seeing them wasteing it

not too far away there be a website www.mseturbos.co.nz

it wont be internet copy and paste itll be over my 20yrs of producing turbos and who for around the plant

there will also be info you wont find in books or the net and some of it will upset afew but it will all be based on my findings and other facts

crunchy said:

not a problem and i shouldnt bag those who have brought one as not everyone has money these days i just dont like seeing them wasteing it

it wont be internet copy and paste itll be over my 20yrs of producing turbos and who for around the plant

there will also be info you wont find in books or the net and some of it will upset afew but it will all be based on my findings and other facts

awesome, look forward to having a read.

crunchy said:

Good s h i t crunchy will have a read of that stuff