Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

starter motor

G-unit

every now and then the car wont start, just a clik as if the starter motor is getting power but thats it, not like a clik clik clik,just 1 simple clik, thort it myt have been my push start button but thats sweet, checked the terminals where tight and they are, cleaned them up, car starts 98% of the time, like 2day started atleast 10times in and around town then clik, wait 5min then started, could this be the starter motor? mates ver4 does the same sound and thing, but he just keeps trying till it starts, i have 2 re do alarm push clutch in turn key then push the button so really wana fix it as its dam anoying

anyway 2 tell once i get it off if its buggered?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest boostin

Yes, but if the big power lead touches the body, engine etc it will weld itself to it, and fry your battery. Maybe wrap the end of the lead with insulation tape to be safe.

Guest boostcut

are the battery terminals clean(shiney) and tight? this could be your problem and its a bit easyer than takin you starter motor out to find its not the problem.

no there like normal, turns on battery light check engine etc then when car turns over and starts they go out like normal, just cleaned the terminals,they were rather dirty and the 1 earthd 2 the cars was black and yuk, previous owner never had the vent covers on so when it rains they got wet etc, car just started atleast 8times every time

G-unit said:

no there like normal, turns on battery light check engine etc then when car turns over and starts they go out like normal, just cleaned the terminals,they were rather dirty and the 1 earthd 2 the cars was black and yuk, previous owner never had the vent covers on so when it rains they got wet etc, car just started atleast 8times every time

yea man thats exactly what my rex done when the contacts where buggered, its cause the plunger isnt quite hitting both contacts when you turn the key and the solenoid is activated, new contacts and plunger will fix it, most auto electricians stock the kits for it. its not hard to do either, and you can follow that guide.

Have you got a earthing kit? these are good not just for starting issues. It is known that the subie factory earthing system is a bit light.

When i clean my battery terminals and connectors i file the crap out of the connectors until they are shiny and new and do the same with the actual battery terminals.

Resently when i did the TT to ST i had all the battery cables off and cleaned them up on the grinding wheel until the ends that make the connection are shiny and new, plus did a earthing kit AND a new battery.

On top of that i recon the str mtr anyways as well, always do on every car.

Thats my fiddy

ok im almost there but the idiot who put it on last time thort of useing the wrong bolt and adding some washers that dont even make it a tight fit, the top and everything else was easy but now just trying 2 get it out, could that cause it not 2 start every now and then as its not tight on the bottom?

dam thing playing up again, starts normal then wont so starter wasnt the problem, thats new, what should i check next? the battery terminals are tight as, battery has a date on it from just before i got the car so shouldnt be that, dam pissed now

hey man, if you did the plunger and the contacts look OK, it cud be the brushes.

You will have to take it off and get it serviced i reckon, theyd do bearings and brushes and lathe the communtator (copper bit where brushes contact) and will check the str mtr drive/clutch & its bearings

G-unit said:

i took it to the electricians 2 fix, i just removed it, they fixed the plunger and bearings

Oh ok, they must have checked all the other stuff... surely,

id ask them if the did infact check the brushes and take it from there

If they havnt yr ganna hv to take if off again :'(