Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Legacy or Impreza

This is directed at those people who have owned or had equalish experience with both Legacy and Impreza models, particularly where both models were similar in age.

I don't intend for this to ba a 'which is better' thread!

Me, I've owned a V7 STi hatch and now a BE5 RSK B4.

I recently drove a v7 WRX & it was really nice to drive.

I've seen a coupkle of very tidy v8 WRX hatches lately...

I enjoy track days, caning a car on twisty roads when no-one is around, blasting past slow traffic when safe to do so but also cruising with wife & young son in some comfort with just enough boot space for a mountain buggy & gear for a night away.

I find the Legacy to be a far better built car, more relaxing and spacious, as it waould have been designed to be no doubt. The top end power is superior to the regular WRX but i somtimes tire of wringing an engines neck to get its best perfomance.

I really liked the way the WRX drove - the meaty mid range, minus the VOD(!) the sharper turn in, better suspension tune (for a bumpy, twisty, gravel littered B road) and general chuckability of the chassis was quite bloody marvellous.

Interested in peoples views on both from a drivers perspective & why you have chosen one chassis over the other.

I'm in a Leg at present mainly due to value for money, space (baby seats & accessories take up space man!), comfort and the normal reasons people choose Subaru. It's just not quite everything I want in a car and a WRX may well be.

I have owned a 97 GTB, and now own a 97 STI hatch..

so near as you can get to the same

I love the GTB for the same drivability, and ease to cart round town on the primary turbo. I love the GTB sound more than the REX, and i dearly miss the boot space of my GTB. The VOD did get annoying on spirited drives as cornering always took that little extra VOD calculation. It was a superb car in every way. I felt the GTB was a good hadler but become apparant that it understeered quite a bit more on turn in that my REX...

My STI now - is purely more frantic. Its a harder car to dordle round town in, and suspension is harsher. However all comes into its own when you take it on spirited campaigns in the para para's or the like. It draws more attention that my GTB did. My rex is also far easier to modify, and is generally more fun.

wish i had a slightly big boot space in my REX. The ride was more comfortable in my GTB over longer trips and its likely that some time in the future when i have a family i will revert back to the bigger of the two sisters. The GTB i agree felt like a better built car - slight more padded doors. seats / the aircon console / spotlights etc etc. They are just built like that on prupose to suit their intended market imo.

First off, you asked for people who have owned both, which I have not. I am however, currently looking at buying a subaru, and came to the same point as you, albeit not for very long. just thought I would give my views on the subject, in case that helps.

Imprezas, (wrx or sti) to me are more of a sports car. smaller, better handling, harsher ride, more road noise, quicker, no VOD, there is a little bit of extra room in them (especially the hatches) compared to other cars of similar ability, but they are still small cars.

Legacys (GTB and B4) i like to think of as more of a touring car. bigger, more room, smoother ride, nicer interior, easy to drive around town but with balls when called on, something built for long drives, trips, rather than short sprints around a track.

this is not to say i think a wrx or sti would not be a fun car to take a trip in, or that a B4/GTB would not be fun to take on the track. It just seems to be that the GTB/B4 is the classier older sibling, more refined. I'm looking at getting a B4 now, and I like to think of it as a kind of poor man's M5. something comfortable to drive, but still a hell of a lot of fun.

Well said, both you guys. I especially like the referrence to the M5 ;D

The Legacy certainly is a great tourer.

The thing that stuck me when I drove the v7 WRX was the suspension compliance - ride quality. My RSK has only 55,000 kms on it and the car is still very tight and new feeling. The Bilstien suspension feels harsher, on a back road than the WRX I drove which was totally standard suspension wise.

It may have been the tyres which were 16" and probably a touch underinflated but it was a great car to drive.

We're certainly happy with our Legacy but may be forced to change to a WRX as the sports car lover in both my Wife & I is strong :)

Ah the age old pros and cons of a wrx vs leggy debate. ;)

As they say different horses for different courses, these cars are aimed at different markets. The legacies are designed much more for open road driving and aiming for comfort. Whilst a wrx is definitely the sports model aimed at those wanting to do track days and spirited driving.

I had this dilemma when I first buying a subaru, and to this day I still kinda wish I went for a wrx hatch instead of a sedan as I really can't fit a white water kayak into my wrx. My wrx is fun on road trips and alike, and I always have a grin when hitting the backroads. But after a 5-6 hours of driving Im bloody tired of feeling every bump in the road and have a sore ass to boot along with it. Hence I would love to have a legacy on these occasions to relax and just cruise along in. Plus u cant really fit that much in the boot, especially if you have chicks come along and they got their usual massive bags of makeup to bring haha.

If you are primarily aiming for a roadtrip car, then I'd recommend the legacy. Whilst if you are aiming to do trackdays and will be doing mods then the wrx sti is a definite winner. And to compromise you can always go with the sti hatch, gives u some decent boot room with the performance of an sti. ;) But drive each one and test drive them out, goto a dealer and see if u can try it out for a good afternoon so as to get a hang of how it feels, as you will find something that will give u that funny feeling inside. ;D

cpt kernow said:

Get a Forester and have legacy spaciousness on an impreza platform :)

but have to drive a box. sorry, just doesn't do it for me. to each his/her own.

Or an alternative - keep the BE5 as your daily and pick up a cheap Version 3/4 STi RA as well. That way you have your sensible car that is also quick when needed without the compromises and have the RA for when you feel like going quicker and isnt loaded with all the unnecessary extras you dont need in a non-daily driver.

Ive got a leggy - I think Id get myself into a heap of trouble with an STi ;D

To me a leggy is an everyday car, whereas the WRX is a weekend car to have fun driving. Granted you can have fun in both, the the WRX wins on the drivability / fun factor

i've never had the pleasure of driving an SVX, so i don't know what i would think. from what i can tell though, it seems to be a touring car more in line with the Ferrari 550 Maranello than the M5. Both very nice cars, but one significantly more practical than the other. also, in contrast to the two cars mentioned (maranello vs M5), the SVX (7.3 0-100kph) is slower than the B4 (6.5 0-100kph). if anyone wants to let me drive one, i'd be more than happy to see what i think of it though?

jake_the_muss said:

i've never had the pleasure of driving an SVX, so i don't know what i would think. from what i can tell though, it seems to be a touring car more in line with the Ferrari 550 Maranello than the M5. Both very nice cars, but one significantly more practical than the other. also, in contrast to the two cars mentioned (maranello vs M5), the SVX (7.3 0-100kph) is slower than the B4 (6.5 0-100kph). if anyone wants to let me drive one, i'd be more than happy to see what i think of it though?

SVX in standard trim still weights 1609kgs ( the 4WS verson add about another 100kgs to it ) and only came in auto and 4WD aswell. So isnt the fastest at take offs.

But they go very good, fast and are consided the best bad weather sports car.

especially in snowy conditions they make it up alot of places where alot of other cars wont make it.

jake_the_muss said:

no worries. there two listed on tradme right now, and a gearbox i think, if you're looking for one...

Nah I wouldnt bother with thoses aye. It could blow up another auto... need a manual. but Ive got no cash at the mo to buy one or get auto rebuilt.

I Just keep driving the stuffed auto till it goes bang lol ;D

Hopefully I will have cash by then

WRXER']

Ah the age old pros and cons of a wrx vs leggy debate. ;)

As they say different horses for different courses, these cars are aimed at different markets. The legacies are designed much more for open road driving and aiming for comfort. Whilst a wrx is definitely the sports model aimed at those wanting to do track days and spirited driving.

I had this dilemma when I first buying a subaru, and to this day I still kinda wish I went for a wrx hatch instead of a sedan as I really can't fit a white water kayak into my wrx. My wrx is fun on road trips and alike, and I always have a grin when hitting the backroads. But after a 5-6 hours of driving Im bloody tired of feeling every bump in the road and have a sore ass to boot along with it. Hence I would love to have a legacy on these occasions to relax and just cruise along in. Plus u cant really fit that much in the boot, especially if you have chicks come along and they got their usual massive bags of makeup to bring haha.

If you are primarily aiming for a roadtrip car, then I'd recommend the legacy. Whilst if you are aiming to do trackdays and will be doing mods then the wrx sti is a definite winner. And to compromise you can always go with the sti hatch, gives u some decent boot room with the performance of an sti. ;) But drive each one and test drive them out, goto a dealer and see if u can try it out for a good afternoon so as to get a hang of how it feels, as you will find something that will give u that funny feeling inside. ;D

I had no doubt this topic had been done to death before :P hearing from those who've had both or virtuallly had both is interesting though.

I've had a STi hatch but looking at a regular WRX this time. The car I owned before the STi was a tuned GT-R and I've given up on trying to find a car anywhere as great as that weapon. So its more about point & squirt with decent road manners, practicality there's and no need to win any races across the country, besides my family responsibility rules out 200km/h+ missions...

[quote name='Munkvy said:

Or an alternative - keep the BE5 as your daily and pick up a cheap Version 3/4 STi RA as well. That way you have your sensible car that is also quick when needed without the compromises and have the RA for when you feel like going quicker and isnt loaded with all the unnecessary extras you dont need in a non-daily driver.

Oh how I wish I could have ALL the toys ;D

Since selling the GT-R 14 months ago we've had 6* cars and only just getting the feel for what suits us best...damn near exactly the first car we bought after the Skyline!

I'm doomed to one good car and a work hack. Have sold the GT-R and Ducati and lowered my expectations regarding toys..I may downgrade my work hack to afford a good replacement for the Legacy. I'm saving for a boat at present. Young son is only 15 months old & I want to get our wee family on the water by the time he's 5 so I'll need a tow vehicle too $$$ :(

*2001 v7 STi Hatch; E36 328iM; V35 Stagea; P12 20V Primera; BA XR6Turbo; BE5 RSK.

It's a fun adventure finding the right car - like an extended test drive of each model!

New Leg is very nice. Have a good friend with a GT. Nice & smooth with plenty of space but out of my price range & no mongrel in it.

Nah nah I'll have a dedicated POS to tow the boat and it'll be my work hack too. You can't love driving and sports cars and be happy with just having a Falcon.

After 2 months owning Falcon the space was luxury & the engine very tractable - much quicker than the Legacy from any rpm but the build quality and reliability in them is shit compared to a Japanese car. 5 years old ours was with 115,000kms on it & I've driven tighter 20 year old Jap hatchbacks with 300,000+ kms on them.

I own a 96 wrx and a 99 forester turbo, and my folks own a 00 GTB legacy wagon with full leather trim etc.

My take is similar to Nicks. The WRX is a hoot to drive on the back roads, and when you want to have fun. However, take it for a few hours and the clutch is hard, the ride is stiff and its loud. In short its a weekend car thats incredible fun and has lots of mid level grunt.

The forester is an auto(my mrs drives it) and its nice around town with a lot of room. doesnt have the grunt of the wrx due to no mods and being an auto but.

The GTB is very very nice to drive around town. The primary turbo kicks nice and early giving it decent low down take off. Obviously it has lots of space too. I also find it substantially better kitted out than the WRX, and it rides a hell of a lot smoother.

If i was taking long trips regularly id take the GTB without a hesitation. In fact when I sell the WRX i will get one. I need to find a full leather one myself though :(.

Rossmnz']

I own a 96 wrx and a 99 forester turbo, and my folks own a 00 GTB legacy wagon with full leather trim etc.

My take is similar to Nicks. The WRX is a hoot to drive on the back roads, and when you want to have fun. However, take it for a few hours and the clutch is hard, the ride is stiff and its loud. In short its a weekend car thats incredible fun and has lots of mid level grunt.

The forester is an auto(my mrs drives it) and its nice around town with a lot of room. doesnt have the grunt of the wrx due to no mods and being an auto but.

The GTB is very very nice to drive around town. The primary turbo kicks nice and early giving it decent low down take off. Obviously it has lots of space too. I also find it substantially better kitted out than the WRX, and it rides a hell of a lot smoother.

If i was taking long trips regularly id take the GTB without a hesitation. In fact when I sell the WRX i will get one. I need to find a full leather one myself though :(.

You have an aftermarket clutch & suspension? STi or regular WRX? v7 STi is anything but hard or stiff IMO. XR6Turbo or modded twin plate GT-R have stiff clutches - Impreza is a pussy cat by comparison.

Regular WRX is very mild in terms of ride & ease of use in our experience.

All seem in agreement that Legacy is the Grand Tourer, and that it's better equipped as a more luxurious car, as Subaru intended. No question that it is the superior luxury tourer with pace and grace.

Impreza is deffinatly the drivers car some people even class as a weekend racer :)

We consider it [WRX] a practical daily driver comfortable and spacious enough to tour in. Having a young-un means we stop regularly to stretch legs & take in scenery anyway so any discomfort some experience over long distances is irrelevant. Not that we do a lot of long distance work anyway. Tauranga to Auckland or Taupo is as far as we've ventured for a while now & the next planned trips only go as far as National Park.

Looking like our RSK will be sold soon for an Impreza ;D

[quote name='jake_the_muss said:

tow vehicle? how about a jeep? :P

haha, I know what you're angling towards :P

1 lovely RSK soon available ;)