Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

My 91 RS won't start?

RS.YES

Hey guys, only had my Subaru for 3months. I'm kinda guttered and it sucks, all I did was put gas in at shell using v-power. When I went to drive back out on the road car went smooth until up to bout 3000rpm car started bunny hopping (or surging??). First thing I thought was something with fuel.

Pulled over, turned car off. Started it up gave it a few revs then drove off again. Went sweet till I got home and left turbo timer on. Car sounded like it was choking and then went off after a minute. Bout 3hours later went to start car up, starter is running but car won't start. I'm thinking it's something with fuel pump, or injectors? Have limited idea on what it could be, if you guys could help me out I would appreciate it alot.

Cheers.

Guest boostin

Behind the R/R seat there is an oval cover, about the size of a 6x9 speaker. Remove that and give the top of the fuel pump a couple of reasonable taps with a hammer/wheel brace etc.

If it now starts, you probably have a dodgy fuel pump.

boostin said:

Behind the R/R seat there is an oval cover, about the size of a 6x9 speaker. Remove that and give the top of the fuel pump a couple of reasonable taps with a hammer/wheel brace etc.

If it now starts, you probably have a dodgy fuel pump.

Tried tapping the fuel pump but nothing. Another problem has come up and that it the car won't turn over or start. I turn the key and all I hear is a click. You think disconnecting the battery will fix that problem as everyone always seems to do?

sickmatesick, now that you mention that. The guy I bought it off had that problem when he had it and he mentioned that he bypassed it so yeah, would it pay to check that again just incase the whole thing might be fried? But now that other problem has come up (above) would it be worth checking that whole thing out? Maybe i'll take it to an electrician or mechanic.

If you guys got any suggestions please hit me up, thanks for the help though guys!!

boostin said:

That sounds like a dead starter or battery then.

It could be alot of things, won't be the battery but now you mention the starter that could've been my problem the first time. But this is the first time I've had a problem with the car. Had to happen the day before work at the 4 & rotary nationals.

Guest boostcut

my guess is you have cranked it till it drained the battery. have you checked for fuel? you might want to check on the engine side of the filter incase its super blocked.

Hey guys, I disconnected the battery last night thought it might help. Kinda did the trick for the starter cause it turns but doesn't start car. But when gave it a crank it gave a lil' pop(got my hopes up for a bit ;D :'() but didn't start so I've left it.

I'm gonna check out the engine side fuel lines to see if any fuel comes out when I crank it. Hopefully it doesn't so I know that there's a blockage or the fuel pump ain't goin' and not something else, but yeah if no success then i'll check the CEL.

Just finished work at the V4&Rotary nationals. Was guttered to see all the mint cars and couldn't take my Subbie. Had to take the bro's beat-up honda saber, lols. Thanks for the help guys, I'm hoping that I can get this problem outta the way so I can get back to the nice deep sound of SUBARU!!

Also where would I find the fuel filter? Had a good look in the engine bay couldn't see it, unless subbie filters are different? If anyone could show me a pic, lmao I'm a amo with subbies. Was and still a Honda fan, before the boost thought I'd drive something different!! Cheers guys

sickmatesick said:

connect the two small black plugs then turn key to ON and the check engine light should flash constantly if nothing is wrong.

If something is wrong long flash=ten and short flashes=one then check them on the list

Cheers, check it out 2moro. Missin' my car right now

Drained battery from cranking too much when it wont start

Could be an alternator but not likely (in my opinion)

Charge the battery and see if the car will turn on, if it does it may be your alternator, as when the car is running the car uses energy created by the alternator to create a spark though coils, battery doesnt supply power to coils, instead the battery is only used to crank the starter and supply a small voltage to the alternator to get it to do its job.

I would say fuel pump tbh or blocked fuel filter? fuel filter has more of a gradual process to it though, not an al of a sudden blockage, but ya never know :)

THUNDA said:

Drained battery from cranking too much when it wont start

Could be an alternator but not likely (in my opinion)

Charge the battery and see if the car will turn on, if it does it may be your alternator, as when the car is running the car uses energy created by the alternator to create a spark though coils, battery doesnt supply power to coils, instead the battery is only used to crank the starter and supply a small voltage to the alternator to get it to do its job.

I would say fuel pump tbh or blocked fuel filter? fuel filter has more of a gradual process to it though, not an al of a sudden blockage, but ya never know :)

Got back to car and cranked engine hoping it would start. NOTHING!

But thing was it sorta jerk'd like it was gonna start, that was after I gave the top of the fuel pump some good taps. 4th time tryna crank just went back to how it was. But are you serious didn't know it was always alternator that gives the spark to plugs to start car(lean something new everyday). Checked fuel line at the filter, and no fuel pumped out when I cranked car over so will definitely be fuel pump unless there's blockage in the fuel line but unlikely it would!?

Should get a new battery and alternator at the same time. Fuel filter not blocked as fuel came out the other pipe, but might as well get a new filter, will get these things sorted in the next week or two. CEL just kept blinking constantly, no long or short flashes. When I saw that I was confused cause it would've at least given me a heads up on what could've been the problem.

Please tell me it's the fuel pump guys!! Public transport sometimes sucks

The fuel pump will only pump for about a second when you first turn the key on, so you need to have someone else do that for you while you see how much fuel comes out. The fuel also needs quite a bit of pressure so after you have checked there is fuel coming out check it again with our thumb over the hose and make sure there is pressure there.

The alternator does not run the ignition, the alternator charges the battery and the battery supplies power for the ignition.

The trouble codes won't detect a fuel problem although it's a wonder you haven't got crank or cam codes after all the cranking. Don't worry about it though, it's probaly all normal. If you want to check the trouble codes are working pull a sensor off and see that it's code gets set after an attempt at starting with it off.

log1call said:

The fuel pump will only pump for about a second when you first turn the key on, so you need to have someone else do that for you while you see how much fuel comes out. The fuel also needs quite a bit of pressure so after you have checked there is fuel coming out check it again with our thumb over the hose and make sure there is pressure there.

The alternator does not run the ignition, the alternator charges the battery and the battery supplies power for the ignition.

The trouble codes won't detect a fuel problem although it's a wonder you haven't got crank or cam codes after all the cranking. Don't worry about it though, it's probaly all normal. If you want to check the trouble codes are working pull a sensor off and see that it's code gets set after an attempt at starting with it off.

I thought so about the alternator. But taking in anything at the moment. So it won't be the alternator or the battery. Forgot to mention in last post that I had a multimeter and checked the battery which was reading 12.43v when car was off, and when I went to crank engine it dropped to 10v which is normal(i think).

Fuel didn't even come out of the line, got my partner to hold the bottle and check for any gas and absolutely nothing and so with that there would be no pressure too. I will definitely get a fuel pump and hopefully fingers-crossed it would go. Should've mentioned this the first time I had started this forum, but before the problem happened the gas needle was just under the quarter line and I boosted it just for fun on 2nd gear but not rape the car completely. After that I looked at the gas because I was on my way to the gas station and noticed the gas light come on which was a bit weird. Got to the gas station put in $20, car started first go, back on the road and car started jerking/surging.

Could you tell one sensor that's easy to get to that I can pull off to check for that error code?

Guest boostin
 THUNDA']

[quote name='dubbedup said:

it should be right beside the window washer resivoir (sp)

/quote]

Would that be the big black can with in and purge/out on the top with two hoses??

yes

That sounds more like the carbon cannister to me....

boostin']

[quote name='dubbedup said:

it should be right beside the window washer resivoir (sp)

/quote]

Would that be the big black can with in and purge/out on the top with two hoses??

yes

That sounds more like the carbon cannister to me....

I think I mentioned the wrong thing, that's the other black plastic cannister by the abs unit, right? Found the fuel filter, actually had in/out on the top. Sorry guys, had been staring at the fuel filter can the whole time looking at the engine bay. Classic