Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

external wastegate installation??

maserati mick

Hey guys howzit goin!?Kinda new 2 club sub this is my first post and new topic this a great site awesome heads up for mods etc ive just purchased a tial 38mil wastgate and want to get it installed by a preferably good mechanic and maybe even save a few bucks?? :D dahahaha any recomendations wud be sweet

cheers guys!!!!!

More info could be helpful to us in recommending stuff for you dude, like where your located, what turbo your Foz runs (standard is TD04) any other mods etc.

Welcome to the club, why not do a full on intro thread complete with pics so everyone can say hi (not just us awesome Foz owners ;D)

If your after cheap, you can blow a hole in the drivers side exhaust manifold and weld a flange there....easy and effective if you want a screamer, easy to go back to stock (just make a plate to go over the flange) if you are after a "proper" installation it will cost more than its worth IMO, unless you are already well down the mod path.

i have a stock standard 01 stb have very basic mods incl hks pod,bov,cat-back and tein lowering springs.

im all over auckland between west and south?kinda aiming to get most of the common bolt on parts incl full exhaust dpipe,up pipe manifold sti turbo frnt mount injectors etc "could call this my goal for 2010!"

keen on a vf30?then agen ?

Id say you need to do some more research. External wastegate would be one of the last things id be doing. Money is much better spent elsewhere like a good turbo and a tune.

Don't bother doing the wastegate until your at least running an aftermarket/upgraded turbo. Its just a plain waste if its on your standard tiny TD04. Like Keltik said, that sort of money is better spent towards other more useful mods

Well its your money in the end mate, you'll find most of us lean away from pointless mods but then we're a cheap lot. If you've got that kind of money to burn and don't care about ridicule external wastegate away. It's your ride.

hey i used to have an vented wastegate for ages, never got any grief from anyone in the club about it (been round a few years now), but the novelty does wear off and now i have set it up properly and plumbed it back in with my new setup.

like someone said its your money and your car, do what you like with it. im sure you know the risks involved with it been illegal to vent them. and yea it'll do nothing performance wise for your car, unless your engine bay is full of mods already.

driftrex said:

hey i used to have an vented wastegate for ages, never got any grief from anyone in the club about it (been round a few years now), but the novelty does wear off and now i have set it up properly and plumbed it back in with my new setup.

like someone said its your money and your car, do what you like with it. im sure you know the risks involved with it been illegal to vent them. and yea it'll do nothing performance wise for your car, unless your engine bay is full of mods already.

you will gain performance increase if you are still using a stock exhaust.

if you want to have a external venting to atmo i recommend, for the easiest and by far the cheapest option, go to a wrecker/pick-a-part and find a 250t legacy, whip the headers off it and weld a pipe with a flange off it just before it mounts to the up pipe. easy to weld as it is mild steel and itd cost 10buks to get the headers (if that) and a box of piss to weld it on. sadly it gets rid of the subbie rumble but does a mint job, DONT tac the standard gate shut, i just un plumbed mine and it worked fine, or remove the actuator and make a bracket that bolts to the compressor housing and holds the gate flap shut. to weld on to the standard cast manifold you will need special arc welding rods to do it else itll continuly crack and drive you crazy with leaks, if you go down this path then get a steam pipe bend welded to the manifold...strong as fark and wont crack from the weight of the gate

hope this info can help, and im on your side with the external sound +1 ;)

• 1 month later...