Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Drivetrain strengthening

Hey Chaps

Searched a while nd cudnt find any decent info on the "strengthening" proccess and what it involves cost etc.

Ive statred aquiring parts for a pretty sinister rwd conversion (all to be revealed) but need to shed some light

on what it takes to strengthen parts.

I dont like doing things by halves, pefer to modify proply with reliablility in mind, for this project i want as

bulletproof drivetrain as possible because it will be getting a beating and dont want failure :-\.

Anyhu i plan on getting halfshafts,axels, cvs, and the diff strengthened. just wanting to know.

1 Do the parts get remade using better quality materials ??

2. If not how are the existing parts strengthened ??

3 Who takes care of this?? Gessing engeneer??

4. What should i expect to be paying to get thes parts strengthened? or re made ?

Pretty much covers it, just wanting to ask as many questions as i can before i attack the build :P

Cheers Ben Ps sorry i think about spelling did my best to sound the words out ahah

would hunt around for a good precision engineer, not a car workshop.

have a talk to them.

i used to do some work at a big boat builders, they made a few bit for people cars from carbon fiber and stainless, as one offs, but i think thats very expensive.

-smurff

r180 rear diff, axles and hubs will be fine.

like i said in my pm, if your going to thrash it alot, the gearbox will be the weak link. i have rebuilt my gearbox 3 times now with various brand new parts, i have almost a brand new box now lol, compared to wearing out only one rear diff in that time, im also still on the cars original axles (170,000kms old). and gearbox parts are not cheap either i might add.

seriously unless you have a spare $5,000-10,000 just use the off the shelf parts available.

its not gonna be a purpose built drift car is it? i assume you just wanting to have a bit of a thrash on the streets, been a foz and all i wouldnt bother going too all out on it, its not gonna be the best for drifting anyway.

Guest boostcut

well you could buy a second hand gear kit thru one of the rally teams... they often only do 10,000 race kms and then flick them as that many kms is quite high for a gearbox taking rally abuse

Off the top of my head there have only been two drivetrain mishaps from the many VERY powerful GDB STis here on ClubSUB. Fastfour is repairing a gearbox that went boom on him (still scratching my head on that one) and version8 from memory popped his carbon fibre axles (or was it the CVs?) during a hero's launch. Compared to the scars the earlier/lesser gear bears... if you're really worried, convert to the GDB gear. You won't break that rear diff, and you're hard-pressed to damage the rest unless you drive like a tool or you're giving the track HELL.

FOZ2NV said:

would it be possible to modify a r200 diff to a subaru subframe with some custom work or you neeed the nissan subframe aswel?

yea very possible and has been done before, used to be a impreza in d1nz with a r200 converison, have a chat to possum bourne motorsport about it, i have heard through a few people that they do these. they modify the original subframe to accept the r200. or if you know some onto it engineers you might be able to talk them into helping you do it.

be prepared to part with a few grand though.

i have toyed with the idea as i know lots of engineers but have decided against it as i will most likely convert back to 4wd in the near future, you just cant go round a track as fast in rwd form, but for the street its ok.

i have a billet syncromesh par gearset in my box from reese at reckless performance , i have literally done hundreds of 7000rpm launches on this box and never broken this gearset. they also make after market billet axles to, all bolt in with little modification to the standard gearbox case. pm for more info. be prepared to spend about 7-8 g on the box.

Guest boostcut
 FOZ2NV said:

would it be possible to modify a r200 diff to a subaru subframe with some custom work or you neeed the nissan subframe aswel?

anything is possible with work mate... but making the nissan diff fit into a suby would be easyer than trying to get the geometry correct to fit a nissan subframe in as you would be modifying suspension points too...