• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

help locating legacy owner - HOPEFULLY SORTED

driftrex

driftrex']

[quote name='Ryan said:

Where abouts are you driftrex?

/quote]

im in Hamilton, all sorted now hopefully, just rang the number wrx_lou pulled for me, talked to the guys mum cause he wasnt home, so hopefully she will make sure it gets changed.

ill be checking it at the post office again in a couple days though to make sure.

great work bro

QRAF']

[quote name='Ryan said:

Where abouts are you driftrex?

/quote]

im in Hamilton, all sorted now hopefully, just rang the number wrx_lou pulled for me, talked to the guys mum cause he wasnt home, so hopefully she will make sure it gets changed.

ill be checking it at the post office again in a couple days though to make sure.

great work bro

yea made my old lady happy thats for sure ;D

Guest keltik

Mate of mine sold his GT and the new owner never finished the paperwork. 12 months later he gets a bill in the mail for overdue rego. In the end he had to fork out $180 and de-register the car.

keltik said:

Mate of mine sold his GT and the new owner never finished the paperwork. 12 months later he gets a bill in the mail for overdue rego. In the end he had to fork out $180 and de-register the car.

screw that. did your mate do his part of paper work, with new owners details? ltsa told me today that i am not liable for the rego as i have done my part and they have that on file. but things like speed camera fines would be posted to me, and then i would have to prove to police that i had sold the car.

your mate should of got a letter a month after selling the car if the process hadnt been completed. thats what happened to me and how i found out it hadnt been changed yet.

keltik said:

It's kind of retarded how it doesn't work the other way around though. Example:

I sold my car, did the final sale at the post office and the people did the change of ownership form in front of me.

Get a letter from land transport a week later "um, your ownership got changed but you didn't fill out your half, naughty. You really should do that. ....... but we've done it for you already anyway so you can actually just ignore this"

Guest keltik

Yeah he did get the letter but had no way of contacting the new owner. It was a cash sale too so no paper trail. Im pretty sure he tried fighting it but the LTSA said he was still the registered owner of the vehicle so had to sort it out.

Then again hes not the most reliable or persistant person so maybe he couldve got out of it.

keltik said:

Yeah he did get the letter but had no way of contacting the new owner. It was a cash sale too so no paper trail. Im pretty sure he tried fighting it but the LTSA said he was still the registered owner of the vehicle so had to sort it out.

Then again hes not the most reliable or persistant person so maybe he couldve got out of it.

No no I'm saying I was on the other side of the buy/sell equation. When I sold my car the registered owner was changed by the buyer with no input from me, and then LTSA took care of my end and I didn't actually have to do anything. Was pointing out that it only seems to work one way

MercuryFree']

[quote name='keltik said:

/quote]

No no I'm saying I was on the other side of the buy/sell equation. When I sold my car the registered owner was changed by the buyer with no input from me, and then LTSA took care of my end and I didn't actually have to do anything. Was pointing out that it only seems to work one way

i think he was replying to me, but yea its screwed up how it works the other way round, which is why you can go to post office and change any car into your name, even if you have never even seen it, all you need is the plate number and a drivers licence.

it would make more sense if they did it the other way round, so they automatically change to the new owner if they dont do it themselves, provided you have given them the new owners details.

but anyway next car i sell, which will be my fairmont very shortly, i will be making the new owner complete change of ownership online before taking the car, hell i'll even put the $9.20 on my visa to make it easy for them lol.

too bad you cant trust people to do it themselves.

Guest keltik

Hehehe if they did it that way round I would register my car to someone else and never pay rego again :D

A more reliable system would be that you have to go to the post office and the new owner and seller must both provide ID and sign one form.

keltik said:

Hehehe if they did it that way round I would register my car to someone else and never pay rego again :D

A more reliable system would be that you have to go to the post office and the new owner and seller must both provide ID and sign one form.

yea now thats a good idea.

• 1 month later...

hay bro, hapened to me not long ago, had cops knocking on the door and all. anyway we just notifed the police rego guys with the info we had and the problem was sloved and name changed, its a uesless system but the way i do it now is the buyer changes into their name before taking the car away

call me old fashioned but if you sell anything of value to some one you dont know or dont trust it pays to write out a brief sale note.include a discription,name and address of both partys,agreed price,date of sale and any other relevent details.make two copies and both sign it.get a witness to sign if you are paranoid.

boring eh.but if the sh*t hits you have a legal document to prove what went down.

its a method thats been used since we became civilised.

hope this is of some help for your future deals.

cheers pedro.

best is to do that but also take them down to the post shop and do the change of ownership if its a weekend and the post shop is closed to bad you don't get the car simple as that.

I'm even more inclined to do it, after hearing all your horror stories.