Sign in to follow this  
ginganinja

Split fuel Rails

Hey there,

Just after some direction regarding split rails. I am doing split rails, however i still have everything on the top of the engine in the stock location such as, power steering pump, alternator, aircon pump, manifold and TMIC.

There is not a heap of spare room with all this stuff on there so does anyone have any tips of the best places to runs the Fuel lines?

or experience doing split rails with all these things in stock location?

it is reasonably tight underneath the manifold when trying to place two tee fittings under there.

cheers.

Unless it's too late, I wouldn't bother. Just make sure your fuel pump is good and strong.

Should be plenty of room under the manifold if you get rid of the breather system... i.e. put a catch can in at the same time :)

Leaning towards not doing rails. Will be running 850cc injectors and with big pump and only vf22 so only shooting for about 220-230kw.

On 15/02/2019 at 6:09 PM, Loren said:

Unless it's too late, I wouldn't bother. Just make sure your fuel pump is good and strong.

Should be plenty of room under the manifold if you get rid of the breather system... i.e. put a catch can in at the same time :)

so engine still isn't in the car yet, am now considering the catch tank idea after a bit of research.

Ideally i'd like something that is made to fit to retain a semi factory look, which it appears RCM are about the only guys that do a purpose built kit for the GC8, however it is expensive. I would be open to some ideas on what others have done in their GC8's, and where they have been fitted the tanks and what kits they have used etc.

Don't bother, I ran 230kw for years with no issues with the stock inline rail configuration.

13 hours ago, ginganinja said:

so engine still isn't in the car yet, am now considering the catch tank idea after a bit of research.

Ideally i'd like something that is made to fit to retain a semi factory look, which it appears RCM are about the only guys that do a purpose built kit for the GC8, however it is expensive. I would be open to some ideas on what others have done in their GC8's, and where they have been fitted the tanks and what kits they have used etc.

A catch can setup does not need to be expensive or complicated. It is literally just a container with 2 to 3 inputs and one vent. The important thing is to make sure it is big enough to not overflow quickly and not restrictive, so the engine and heads can actually breather properly.

• Like 2

I’d never even heard of splitting fuel rails until I moved here and I was in the Subaru scene in the states for 5 or so years, tuned multiple times on multiple turbo and injector combos, only thing I touched in regards to my rails was upgrading them to a set of boombas. 

Once you've got a reliable pump and big bore lines and rails the need for the split is almost completely gone. It's just a good way to ensure small lines and rails don't use more than they can flow and momentarily provide less fuel pressure to the last injector.