Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

who's in aussie..

Yep

Brisvegas, been here for a little while now

Moving back at some stage.

I did a big speil on the old pre-implosion forum on living here in OZ vs NZ... Nick (WRXER) might still have a copy of that via a link he did to another forum somewhere...

More food for thought, but basically my unscientific results proved you were better off lifestyle wise in NZ than OZ, due to higher costs for stuff over here

subieboy said:

Yep

I did a big speil on the old pre-implosion forum on living here in OZ vs NZ... Nick (WRXER) might still have a copy of that via a link he did to another forum somewhere...

More food for thought, but basically my unscientific results proved you were better off lifestyle wise in NZ than OZ, due to higher costs for stuff over here

You reckon that would still apply if my salary was going to double quite easily?

Glen']

[quote name='subieboy said:

Yep

/quote]

You reckon that would still apply if my salary was going to double quite easily?

double a $1 and you get $2 all depends on how much your on now? and what tax bracket you'll fall under when you go over there.

I do like it how there discussing it being a domestic fare between the two countries.

Glen said:

It depends on many factors like where u live etc, ie living in central sydney can be 3x4 times more expensive then living in the suburbs. Plus taking in all other associated costs into account, for some it can turn out to be more expensive then living here in Nz.

Im not saying that this is always but on case by case a n a lysis it isn't just always the best option to move over there. Like I say, do ur research first ;). (omg a n a l is censored haha seriously whats up with that that)

Had a friend move to London, was on 70,000 pounds a year so sounded super sweet. But had to live in central london etc and with the higher living costs, she pretty much worked out that she only had a slight increase in extra spending money, that really for her lifestyle really didn't make much difference.

I'd been looking at Perth. Renting seemed about the same, as did house prices. Food, especially restraunts hurt the pocket a bit, but no where near 50% more. And then there's the price of gas! ;D And Subarus :(

It is taking time getting use to how things are priced over here.

But where i live for work, my housing, food, flights are all payed for by my company, add that to the fact that theres not alot to spend on. But then i have a gf living is central brissy so i have to pay for most of the rent and stuff there. But i still reckon im much better off over in aus than nz.

Thou its a shock at trying to find a good use subi over here to buy.

Even though I am not in australia some friends of mine are and they are based in Perth

at this point in time things are fairly grim..

A couple of the big mines have laid of staff which makes everybody a bit worried..

it may be a good time to stay put

BC5RA']

Subieboy. What sort of Subaru do you own?

99 BH5 GTB with some mods in stuff (suspension, braces, stereo, gauges, other stuff)

Mrs RSK with only mod the zorst she got cat back

Both in storage

[quote name='Glen said:

/quote]

It depends on many factors like where u live etc, ie living in central sydney can be 3x4 times more expensive then living in the suburbs. Plus taking in all other associated costs into account, for some it can turn out to be more expensive then living here in Nz.

Im not saying that this is always but on case by case a n a lysis it isn't just always the best option to move over there. Like I say, do ur research first ;). (omg a n a l is censored haha seriously whats up with that that)

Had a friend move to London, was on 70,000 pounds a year so sounded super sweet. But had to live in central london etc and with the higher living costs, she pretty much worked out that she only had a slight increase in extra spending money, that really for her lifestyle really didn't make much difference.

Pretty much that is what I was saying then, my salary has doubled, so has my work, my commute time have trippled, our social life is less so (but is starting to come back - just the usual thing of shifting countries meeting new people, and cost blah blah blah)

Anyway,

Do the sums before you go

For instance our Rego for this year (12mths) $568.00, then there's the insurance close to $800.00 for both of us(went up due to floods and stuff) (Hyundai Getz 1600 2007 model),

Rent is now $330 per week (and we are 18 K or so from CBD) for a unit, not a house...

Car service: cheapest good guys are around the $300 mark for minor service only as an average over the different types of serviceintervals (log book/warranty service)....

Other stuff as well, work longer hours, travel longer hours..

And before you say, but Dorkland is worse, I lived in Dorkland for a while, Brisbane is worse, Sydney is a nightmare, Brisbane now has more roadworks and that is creating havoc with traffic...

Basically if your rush hour trip used to be an hour in Brisbane it is now 1hour 30 to 1hour 40 mins...

In our case we were better off socially in NZ (time off, free dollars, better cars cheaper, free cash) than Qld.

Now that we have a "mini-me" on the way, we will be WAY better off in NZ.

In NZ you have maternity leave and pay, in OZ zip, zero, nadda, buggerall,

Oh and preschool sheesh try $550 per week for a 6mth old baby to pre-schooler...

Its all about what suits you and what you want to achieve while here...