Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

gas Gas gas Gas

severely off topic but I have just found a new use for CRC56, kills insects quite well, just used it for that purpose and what a result.

All us South Islanders have to use BP cause no one else has 98.

Use to put 95 in mine until I found it was meant to run on 98, Never gone back except this one time I ran outta fuel and had to get $10 from the nearest station.

Also what's recommended for a EJ18, 91 ?

Guest boostin

Yes, meths will mix with water, and with petrol. Thats the easiest way of getting water out of the tank.

Be aware that avgas is leaded, and the lead coats oxygen sensors and kills them.

RSK IT said:

now thats a trick I never knew of! had heard of the egg in the leaking radiator (I cant wait to try it on an old radiator) but never the meths soak up water trick!

haha my mate chucked 5 eggs in his radiator the other day trying to stop a massive leak hes got (hes a tight arse)he reckoned it stopped for a day but then came back,told him he might need to put bacon and tomatoes in it mmmmm.sorry way off topic.used to use v power was fine.go shell and its fly buys,my 1100 points should get me a blank pack of cds soon whoop

so to an extent the egg in the radiator (it makes sense) would work but only a temp fix until you could find somewhere to repair/replace?

still want to try it one day just for the sake, egg in a radiator? just like the whole brick in the toilet thing years ago...

RSK IT said:

so why in NZ do we have such low octane fuel compared with say japan or elsewhere in the world?

since we have so many jap imports, should we not have higher octane on tap more so in NZ. I remember for many years it was seen as a 'racing' or pureists premium petrol?

you dont need to tell me its not good to run on 91 but I was just opening it up again for discussion & for others to possibly realise the error or their ways

It's not so much crappy fuel as crappy cars !

A lot of modern Jpn and Euro cars are perfectly happy with 91 or 95.

Guest boostcut

i dont know where your mate got that info from, but if they took the lead out of the aviation fuel, then who is going to replace all the valve seats in the lycomings after 5 mins of running?

Guest boostcut

at the shell down 15th ave just before, the servo attendant just filled some poor chaps boat up with 1100 bucks worth of 96 straight into the rod holder haha

AV Gas is the key mate. you dont have to full your car up with it. I used to buy 40 litres. once my car petrol, usually 95/96, was round 3/4 of a tank I'd drop 15 or 20 litres of av gas into it, raise the boost abit.and wow what a difference.plus you get a grey exhaust rather than a black one.

Also used to put av gas into my yamaha dirt bike. would have to hold on and pray once it hit powerband.

keltik said:

Might be a silly question, but why would they ban it due to ethanol content?

The only thing i can figure is the rules are so tight in the classes they dont want anything to upset the norm. So if someones running mobil with ethanol and someone running 91 then its a point of protest. BUT then someone could run 98 and 91 so im not sure. Could be the seal thing but in a KT100 the only seal is the carb seal to the motor. COuld be the fact it may make plastic fuel lines brittle or the tanks prone to cracking etc creating a safety hazard on track so yeah a few things, but they wouldnt have done it without good cause.

Just on AvGas

There are two common grades in NZ. 100, and 100LL. 100 is a red sticker on the pump, and is unleaded. 100LL is a pale blue sticker, and leaded (LL = Low Lead). 100LL is by far the most common. 130 is also available at some aerodromes.

Also, i don't know if avgas in NZ is measured in RON or MON, but there's a good chance it's MON, which means it could easily be over 100RON.