Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

TomTom iPhone Navigation Application....

does anyone here have this app on their iphone & use it?

im looking at replacing my good old navman but not sure whether to splurge $120 on the application to find its too slow or lags or drops out of GPS all the time...

...keen to know any reviews of such product.

Google is your friend!

But basically, if you only have a 3G, don't bother as it is too slow to use.

Accuracy is supposed to be pretty good but is a lot better with the proper cradle.

Oh, and you'll need a charger because the battery won't last long.

ive got a 3G but no problem if I have to buy a 3GS if need be, just trying to cut down on excess gadgets and if I can do without the cumbersome navman & ciggi cable in the car then that would be nice...

just primarily worried about the lag it might have as you drive along as I mainly use it to find certain numbers on streets rather than actual streets if you know what I mean...

Read a review of this app in Autocar.

Said was just as good as the Tom Tom unit in terms of speed/accuracy but you need the cradle. Gps signal isn't the flashest unless whole phone visible through the windscreen by satellite.

Also commented on pain in butt if a call comes through. Won't tell you anymore directions or show map while talking.

Whats wrong with Google maps on it? I use that daily and love it! I gave my Tom Tom away once I got my iPhone I find it much better

google maps uses cell data does it not? the whole point to the tomtom is that it is all pre loaded and a standalone gps app, ie does not use data only location points to map on your phone where you are if you get the drift?

ive read the reviews...think its worth a punt but then again, you dont know unless you try it...might have the, uh, make the first move.

RSK IT said:

google maps uses cell data does it not? the whole point to the tomtom is that it is all pre loaded and a standalone gps app, ie does not use data only location points to map on your phone where you are if you get the drift?

ive read the reviews...think its worth a punt but then again, you dont know unless you try it...might have the, uh, make the first move.

i dont think it will be much use with the 3G iphone, as you still lack the use of the compass on the

If You jailbreak your phone you can get a programme called xGPS for free. The programme allows you to download google maps onto your phone (so yu don't use data and it doesn't lag) and it has a voice prompted guide like tom Tom for directions.

I have used it all over the world and it works great. Just download the maps for the city you are in when you have wifi and then get directions all day for free. That Tom Tom is probably better, but it costs a lot and only comes with NZ maps.

yea not sure whether I should jailbreak the phone or not, have heard about xgps but yea not sure whether its worth the shot of jailbreak

Yea I was a bit hesitant at first. I paid top dollar for my iphone and I was scared sh**tless of bricking it.

Fact is though jailbreaking it doesn't really do anything to the phone, just puts another "appstore" application on the phone. It takes about 2 minutes to do. Easy as really, and it gives access to additional free apps, but really cool apps that Apple won't approve because they use functionality of the phone that apple doesn't want to release yet.

I have a jail broken 3g runs tomtom not a problem, i find the sygic one better to use though. Also have the marine charts for NZ as well they are good if you like fishing :) Have run my iphone jailbroken since 2.0 and 3.0 no problems at all just be careful when doing it to a 3gs as there was a chance of changing the baseband which will cause you grief.

Cheers, 2dr

Its pretty useless as a navigation device while driving if you hold onto it etc as its still a phone and mr copperman sees you you get ticket & demerits...

Might be useful if you walk around...

Go buy a navigation device like Navman/TomTom/Garmin/etc...

RSK IT said:

does anyone here have this app on their iphone & use it?

im looking at replacing my good old navman but not sure whether to splurge $120 on the application to find its too slow or lags or drops out of GPS all the time...

...keen to know any reviews of such product.

it's good, a review can be found here

I have a Garmin and drove over 3000km on a summer holiday with both the iphone Tom Tom app and the Garmin going. The iphone Tom Tomn was at least as good sometimes better. The graphics and the screen were definitely better, however the battery life sucks and the phone gets pretty hot, not sure if this is an issue long term.

I'd sell the Garmin however you still can't load POI (Points of Interest).

I have all the speed camera and mobile speed trap spots loaded into the Garmin using their POI Loader and files from this site http://www.gwprojects.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=743

There is community with workarounds for the Tom Tom app however its far from advanced http://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-iphone-navigator/18780-how-add-custom-voices-pois-iphone-without-jailbreaking-2.html

If your Navman isn't near new or a high spec model and you aren't using POI's the go for the Tom Tom app, highly recommended.

RSK IT said:

so you would say its perfectly fine to jailbreak a nz new iphone then? you have had no issues? im a mac nut & scared to do it!

Yea I have a nz new 3g iphone and it runs jailbroken no problems at all. Just read the instructions really carefully before you do it and you won't have any issues. As I said, once it is done all it does is add a new "appstore" applcation called "cydia" or "rock" depending on which way you go (i've got both but you don't need both IMO). Then you just search and install applications just like in the normal appstore. And if you are unhappy just plug it into iTunes and tell it to re-install/update the software and it will revert back to normal.

Here is a link that tells you all about it with pros/cons and links to required software:

http://www.appleiphonereview.com/iphone-tutorials/iphone-jailbreak/

ive got it on mine as well and i got the tom tom cradle for the iphone before that i was using one from dse and it worked fine it was really good when i was coming back from auckland because i didnt know the north island at all and now its going to help me today to get to cromwell to some random place thats suppost to not have a name or physical address according to the locals so hopefully it can find it, if u want to have a laugh go to www.fortunefruits.com and look at the map on there homepage i thought that it was quite amusing

I'm using the TomTom app with my 3G and it works great. Usually it sits in one of those cheapies windscreen mounts and gets a GPS fix quick enough. Once it's got a fix it'll even sit on the passenger seat quite happily and continue working. It's definitely fast enough, I use it all over town and it has no problem with finding street numbers.

Also used the Sygic app which is pretty good. You probably can't go far wrong with either one.

neil2121 said:

I'm using the TomTom app with my 3G and it works great. Usually it sits in one of those cheapies windscreen mounts and gets a GPS fix quick enough. Once it's got a fix it'll even sit on the passenger seat quite happily and continue working. It's definitely fast enough, I use it all over town and it has no problem with finding street numbers.

Also used the Sygic app which is pretty good. You probably can't go far wrong with either one.

Sygic looks good but then again so does tomtom, whats best value for money?