Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Garage Discussion Thread (Real Garages Only!)

Hey all,

Looking at having a Garage built, for something abit different I was looking for ideas on what sort of Garage, I'm thinking double with a workshop. Pictures from sites such as Ideal, Skyline etc etc are so boring!

I'd be keen to see some pictures of Garages that real people have :) Man garages? Pool table, whirlister Jukebox etc? ::)

Show what you've got!

Also discussion on how much garages are, etc would be invited too! To start had a quote from Ideal for a double garage workshop is $30,000... (unlined is $26,000). Seems pretty dare to me, I'll do some more research.

Guest Fastfour

We are doing this very thing right now. Got plans drawn up for garage wide enough for 3 cars, and a room on the end.

I have a garrage thats 3 bays wide but the door is just smaller that a double. Its a bit of a pain but ya have heaps of workshop and storage room. Make shure ya have a nice high roof so ya can hoist engines e.t.c. Also a god strong beam for a block and tackle to hang off.

I had a shed built for me five years ago. It's 9m x 18m x 3m, with three roller doors and an over-width 1.2m wide pedestrian door (so i can get my bikes in and out without opening a roller door). Cost including earthworks, concrete floor and wiring (incl 3-phase) was $40k although prices have probably risen since. I used Letts Buildings in Mt Maunganui. Recommended.

The fuel pump is just for effect. Got it cheap off TradeMe:

Myshed2008Large.jpg

The workshop end:

P1010161Large.jpg

I picked up some cheap racking from a demolition yard which transformed my storage arrangements:

P1010160Large.jpg

I don't have great shots of my uncles garage (but it's awesome) - it's a display garage with a workshop off to the side, unfortunately I only really have a shot of some of the displays and one of the workshop, some of the shots you can get an idea of what the garage is like. Anyway, enjoy!

Workshop - that's a v8 turbo Studebaker sitting on the floor.

4242801324_4904d3e9bc_b.jpg

4242035003_5437c7338d_b.jpg

4242830706_91c63fc454_b.jpg

4242828044_bc88034623_b.jpg

4242037363_4af63829ed_b.jpg

4242083567_995b586bed_b.jpg

my garage is just a double with a bit out the back for my weights it says its an ideal garage.

but one thing if your building use strong doors as mine was actually kicked in yesterday morning around 10am

DSC00489.jpg

DSC00490.jpg

DSC00494.jpg

cops didn't bother coming around had to go down and make a statement only to be told its nawton what more do you expect i was like excuse me wtf to which he said at least your car didn't get taken.

left shaking my head.

I dont like personal access doors on garages. Waste of time and a HUGE security risk with the amount of stuff people normally store in them.

Im bulding mine at the moment and mine will be blocked off with a big sheet of steel tek screwed into the frame work.

Swindog said:

I dont like personal access doors on garages. Waste of time and a HUGE security risk with the amount of stuff people normally store in them.

Im bulding mine at the moment and mine will be blocked off with a big sheet of steel tek screwed into the frame work.

fully but i didn't build it also the funny thing was that the partner hadn't closed her side of the garage so they could of just opened the door instead of kicking my door in.

Swindog said:

Agreed.

Although I have a PA door, I don't have any windows in the shed at all, just ten skylight panels in the roof. Fact is, if someone is determined to get in, they will get in regardless of alarms or padlocks. Best to have both, along with an alert dog with a loud bark . . .

Neighbours been broken into a few times. He has a BIG dog with a loud scary bark but didnt help. However, electrifying the door handle did.

He has home rigged an alarm up to a sensor light though which was good. No more break ins.