Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

expensive repair

Just got the news today that its going to cost me $2600 to repair my 6MT box... apparently it has a snapped fork and couple of stuffed syncros.... the bill was originally 3500 but didnt need the $700 seals plus abit of talking down came to account

I cant believe that its cost $500 for a fork and another $500 for a syncro ( not sure which one) and $400 each for another 2 syncros plus alittle bit of machining which i would expect... $400 to strip the box down to tell me its going to cost alot to fix which i could of done ( not sure of putting it back together tho) ;D

Moral of the story! Look after your 6MT box!! they are not bullet proof! their gears are tuff but their forks and syncros are crap!! well V7 is i been told lol

Look after it or prepare to spend heaps on repairs ;)

in terms of the synchros and gearsets, the v9/10 ones are superior and supersede the v7/8 ones - thus being more $$ for the guys with the early ones that break them.. Whether or not that extends to include better forks in the 9/10 i dont know.

But yes - any inspection of a box, being 5 or 6 and replacing a handful of parts is expensive - i spent a $1000 doing my 5mt one and i didnt even touch the sycnhros - just forks and bearings.

Moral of the story should be "BE nice to any box, 5 or 6MT"

Are you replacing with factory forks or fancy aftermarket billet items which will give less trouble?

Prevention is better than cure.

Na its all factory gear, even the gearbox guy couldn't believe the price... all being shipped from mr heavy fuji so be couple of weeks before parts arrive and my money taken.... looked at billet gear but might have to sell a kidney for it :o

• 3 weeks later...

Confirmed today that my car is Ex japanese boy racer owned >:( >:( Pulled the clutch apart cause had that feeling I should check it before refitting my box... even tho it was driving good, lucky i did! fucken thing was a mess.... it had a 3 phuck in it that was quit rooted and also the pressure plate and the fly wheel all with lotsa burn marks and excessive worn marks ... flywheel most definitely gona need a good grind :-[

I bet thats why the gearbox gave up the ghost also, too much rough driving! and doesnt help that the forks were made from cast iron with not much meat around the rod hole area

Whats the going price to get the flywheel grind?

Anyone here wants to sell me a clutch kit suitable for the sti v7 for reasonable price?

Guest Fastfour

6 speeds are pretty weak! haha.

Make sure you upgrade EVERYTHING when you do have it apart. Thats all I have to say!

pappu said:

so how does one break the forks? is it hard shifting?

yep.

The cause of my broken selector was due to the new gear knob I got made. It was a lot taller and moved the shifter up closer to the steering wheel. Unfortunately, this created more leverage, and put extra stress on the gearbox... so snap went the selector fork, right in the middle of a race :'(

Now I have gone back to the standard gear knob after getting told off by my gearbox guy!

Nothing is bulletproof when it comes to subarus.

The actual gears themselves are strong though - you dont see many 6 speed gears them with teeth stripped off like you do with the 5 speeds...

In a race car it is a common problem - the synchros especially... changing gear fast all the time beats on them due to the 6 speeds short shift.

In the heat of a race, the red mist comes down, and you can get a bit over enthusiastic so tend to rush things and change gear harder than you would normally which can damage the selectors. These things happen unfortunately.

In a road car I would say 90% of people will be fine, but there are some animals out there that like to gorilla-shift round town ::)

But always keep an eye on the problematic 5th gear synchro... thats usually the first thing to go, and I have seen this happen with road driven cars that are hardly even thrashed!

If you have the crunchy 5th gear, best advice is to bite the bullet and get it fixed sooner rather than later - as the longer you leave it, the more damage gets done, and the more expensive it costs to fix.

hmmm..

what if we just rev it a bit in 4th and the strait to 6th and not bother with the dam 5th..

i usually shift hard on the err back roads but now u have me a bit scared man.. grrr this sucks not being able to give it a bit of stick!!

pappu said:

so how does one break the forks? is it hard shifting?

i have broken a few drive shafts with no issues on the box but all this prices is scary talk

Easy with these..., the reverse fork on mine was cast iron and it wasnt thick meat around the rod hole area... if they made it thicker then i doubt it would break but it has been fractured for quite sometime before it eventually gave out... just hope the v9 and onwards are more beefier...

Gears are very strong tho