Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Does anyone know when petrol stations get fresh gas in

Swindog said:

They have a habit of seizing sometimes. I know one bloke had 3 rebuilds one weekend after the other cos some dodgy back yarder was rebuilding his kt's.

So the RON actually drops when its sitting in your tank?

I usually put like $60 98 in at a time, which will last me a few weeks coz I have a daily driver. Is this not a good practice?

Its a refined mineral so it degrades over a period of time. Modern fuel usually degrades quite quick. If its your everyday car i wouldnt worry cos you gotta weigh up how many times you wanna keep stopping at the gas station a week. I dont worry in mine cos it doesnt last long but if i was racing it id be using 98 or 95 with octane booster and a fuel cleaner...like fuel set.

Na I put 91 in the daily driver, but 98 in my sooby.

Nice to know... my flat mate is a 98 nazi - never even puts 95 in his car, but he puts a lot of gas in a time which will last him weeks. Will have to inform him tonight.

I'll def be putting in less amounts more frequently from now too :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swindog said:

They have a habit of seizing sometimes. I know one bloke had 3 rebuilds one weekend after the other cos some dodgy back yarder was rebuilding his kt's.

So the RON actually drops when its sitting in your tank?

I usually put like $60 98 in at a time, which will last me a few weeks coz I have a daily driver. Is this not a good practice?

Its a refined mineral so it degrades over a period of time. Modern fuel usually degrades quite quick. If its your everyday car i wouldnt worry cos you gotta weigh up how many times you wanna keep stopping at the gas station a week. I dont worry in mine cos it doesnt last long but if i was racing it id be using 98 or 95 with octane booster and a fuel cleaner...like fuel set.

We were trying to run it in with a clutch, thats a no no. What is quick defined as when it degrades?

NZ imports its 98 octane, so add the couple of weeks on the ship, then in tanks before you put in your car.

Also oil used to make gasoline in this country is like oily sand-mud.

I know planes fuel (avgs) get check a fair bit, and get tossed of its below a certain number.

*KT class.... guys should try open 125/250cc much more fun, and alot cheaper.

JoKer said:

god ol' fuel saver excuse too more fuel = more weight to carry/accelerate...

yeah, I'm anal about those things ha. will keep the windscreen washer fluid level at half or less. and intecooler water bout 3/4 haha

Yeah those open karts are the way to go, coz MX bike 2 stroke engines in my experience are really reliable. my kx used to start on 3 month old fuel first kick. Really good.

Yep been looking at opens. I wouldnt mind a 125 shifter. Will be the next step after this chassis i think. Still learning to drive the thing properly. Only been doing it 6 months but man, the amount of info ive taken in i can rebuild the bloody thing.

Opens are qay to expensive to be competitive in Christchurch. Especially cause we have Mat Hamilton. One of his open karts had two motors on it each worth 5k or 6k each. One of the engines was a DD2 rotax and the other was some Italian direct drive thing if I remember rightly. Needless to say it was very quick.

Then you have to have bridgestone soft compound tyres to place anywhere near the front and kiss those goodbye in a meeting.

Fun for a blast though and besides they're not that much quicker than a rotax 125 just have more down low speed so can punch of of corners faster.

Also octane reduces exponentially (exponential decay n=n0 ek-t) so the longer you leave it the worse it gets.

GregNZ101 said:

i heard once that fuel starts to lose its octane after about one month

type exponential decay curve into google. It kind of looks like a hockey stick, so at

first it decreases slowly but as time goes on the rate at

which it decays keeps on compounding.

Basically once it starts to go it will go bad quickly. Keeping fuel in air tight containers and out of sunlight will extend it's life but after a month or so I wouldn't be sticking anywhere other than my lawnmower.

555v7sti']

[quote name='JoKer said:

god ol' fuel saver excuse too more fuel = more weight to carry/accelerate...

/quote]

yeah, I'm anal about those things ha. will keep the windscreen washer fluid level at half or less. and intecooler water bout 3/4 haha

haha, do you make sure you always take a shit before you go for a drive as well? Jeepers.

• 1 month later...
 555v7sti said:

Was always wondering when the best time to get the fresh gas from petrol station is. Do they run on a schedule when the truck fills up their tanks or?

Yes it runs off tank volumes and scheduled amout of sales.

Best places to get fuel - high volume stations that turn over lots of fuel.

I know when every Shell station is getting a delivery. Its my job.

Guest keltik

Jesus christ!

In a cart or a mx bike - fair enough for wanting fresh gas. But in a road car which has a shitload of circuitry and control systems designed to compensate for crappy fuel - why bother? I doubt there would even be a measurable difference in performance with 1 month old gas on a factory engine and ecu.

555v7sti said:

Was always wondering when the best time to get the fresh gas from petrol station is. Do they run on a schedule when the truck fills up their tanks or?

Always wait at least an hour after they filled up...

When they pump in the new/fresh delivery it stirs up the sediment from the bottom of the tank...

I used to work at shell for 5 years

I was always told to fill up when its the coldest as the pump will pump what ever even fumes so when its cold like early morning the tanks are cold and settled so you actually get more gas from them (should just say your getting what you pay for). ;)

and yeah never fill up if you see a petrol tanker on the forecourt your gas will be sh*t

also fill up on the slowest setting you can set the pump to so that it doesn't slush the gas around in your tank so you actually fill your car up with gas not just fumes as the pump will stop on fumes and it'll make the pump work and getting the gas out of the tank so you get what you pay for.

As have you ever seen the amount of petrol fumes escape when your filling your car thats why they don't want cell phones around when pumping gas or people that drive into the servo smoking.

QRAF said:

I used to work at shell for 5 years

I was always told to fill up when its the coldest as the pump will pump what ever even fumes so when its cold like early morning the tanks are cold and settled so you actually get more gas from them (should just say your getting what you pay for). ;)

and yeah never fill up if you see a petrol tanker on the forecourt your gas will be sh*t

also fill up on the slowest setting you can set the pump to so that it doesn't slush the gas around in your tank so you actually fill your car up with gas not just fumes as the pump will stop on fumes and it'll make the pump work and getting the gas out of the tank so you get what you pay for.

As have you ever seen the amount of petrol fumes escape when your filling your car thats why they don't want cell phones around when pumping gas or people that drive into the servo smoking.

? wouldnt the theory of displacement work in this case and the liquid pushes the air/fumes out the tank ? And does petrol change density at tempertures below combustion?

Calibration of the fuel pumps is based on Liquid, not gas(fumes), so unless the pump system isnt running right.

1L = 1L unless they have been played with, Calibrated wrong or faulty.

Temp doesnt need to be compensated for when doing Cals on pumps.

D-Style said:

Calibration of the fuel pumps is based on Liquid, not gas(fumes), so unless the pump system isnt running right.

1L = 1L unless they have been played with, Calibrated wrong or faulty.

Temp doesnt need to be compensated for when doing Cals on pumps.

+1..

And also the tanks are underground so temps between morning and afternoon will be virtually identical.

Guest keltik

Another better reason for buying your gas in the morning is that most stations ive been a regular at will adjust their prices at about 7pm each night.

keltik said:

Jesus christ!

In a cart or a mx bike - fair enough for wanting fresh gas. But in a road car which has a shitload of circuitry and control systems designed to compensate for crappy fuel - why bother? I doubt there would even be a measurable difference in performance with 1 month old gas on a factory engine and ecu.

my thoughts exactly.

They might do that up north and Oz but not down here.

In Oz...its cheaper to buy monday to wednesday. Anything after that goes up. Is odd. My mate told me they put it up for peoples pay weeks and weekends...there must be a science behind it.