Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

NZ New STI redtop manifold - Question

Hi,

I'm new here and looking to purchase a WRX STI.

I have found a Version 6 STI that I'm keen on purchasing (switching from an Evo 7 to STI) but I've noticed it doesn't have the red manifold the STI should have (now I've only seen photos, its a bit of a drive to see so finding out what the story is with that before making the trip).

Checking CarJam it states the sub model is a STI, and it was purchased new in NZ (imported status is: "Imported Built-Up" and first registration is may 2000, and its a 2000 model).

Do the NZ new ones not have the red top? Could it have worn off over the years? Any ideas on what the story could be?

Also, he has stated that sometimes if you change to fast it will have a slight crunch going into 4th...I'm guessing thats just the syncros, or is this a symptom of something more major?

Any other areas (known problems with these) I should check out on the car before buying?

Cheers

Yes the paint does wear off over the years, but never entirely, you should always be able to see a little bit of it.

2 things could be going on here. It might be a dressed up WRX, and nothing special. Or it could have blown the STi engine, and the owner would have gone cheap and just bought a WRX engine.

Either way, post the number plate (or just PM it to me), i'll find out what it really is...

And yeah syncro's seem to be a common-ish problem.

ReubenH said:

Yes the paint does wear off over the years, but never entirely, you should always be able to see a little bit of it.

2 things could be going on here. It might be a dressed up WRX, and nothing special. Or it could have blown the STi engine, and the owner would have gone cheap and just bought a WRX engine.

Either way, post the number plate (or just PM it to me), i'll find out what it really is...

And yeah syncro's seem to be a common-ish problem.

Cheers for that, PM sent

yeah its a v6? so 1999 or so?

All the red paint would NOT have worn off, unless its been polished or something by the owner if he has had the engine out.

Either way, sounds rather suspect to me.

Just ask him straight out why it does not have the usual STi red manifold and see what he comes back with.

Put it through the parts computer, and it does indeed check out as an STi.

Applied Model: GC8G4ED

Engine: EJ207

Trans: MT

Grade: WRX STi

GC8G4ED is Version 6 STi indeed.

So if there truly is not red on the manifold, something HAS been done in that engine bay. Be it WRX engine, new manifold or something.

BTW -df-, there are a quite a few differences with STi engines. They get different cams, lower compression ratio's, forged pistons, shim under bucket, etc.. They are different beasts to your standard WRX.

ReubenH said:

Put it through the parts computer, and it does indeed check out as an STi.

Applied Model: GC8G4ED

Engine: EJ207

Trans: MT

Grade: WRX STi

GC8G4ED is Version 6 STi indeed.

So if there truly is not red on the manifold, something HAS been done in that engine bay. Be it WRX engine, new manifold or something.

BTW -df-, there are a quite a few differences with STi engines. They get different cams, lower compression ratio's, forged pistons, shim under bucket, etc.. They are different beasts to your standard WRX.

Thanks for that.

I've finally managed to get hold of him again and he has stated it does have some paint left on it...but you can't see it from the photo...so sounds like it might be a goer.

How many KMs would you expect (yeah I know, how long is a piece of string) to get out of a STi engine thats been looked after? I had a mate with a legacy (with WRX engine) that did 450,000kms when he sold it...although he did go through a couple of engines.

Anyone know what the V6 STi is like compared to an Evo 7? I've driven a V4 STi before and loved it...so surely the V6 is the same/better.

I'm after a car that is a little "softer" then my Evo...e.g. suspension, seats (damn I hate the seats in the Evo...prob help if I went on a diet tho!! lol)...but with the same kind of handling and speed.

ODB said:

yeah its a v6? so 1999 or so?

All the red paint would NOT have worn off, unless its been polished or something by the owner if he has had the engine out.

Either way, sounds rather suspect to me.

Just ask him straight out why it does not have the usual STi red manifold and see what he comes back with.

Yep its a 2000 model...and have managed to find out it does have some red paint left on it (see post above).

Cheers for all the help guys!

How does an STi stack up to an EVO? Drive it and find out! V6 sti is comparable to an evo 6 AFAIK. No idea about handling and such though.

As for K's to expect. If you look after it, never boost while cold, only use 98, change oil with the GOOD stuff every 5000-10,000k's, it should last a loooong time. If you drop the clutch everywhere you go and feed it 95 and cheap oil 'every once in a while' it won't last long at all.

Concur.

Its a "how long is a piece of string" type question.

As Reuben states..if its been looked after then it will look after you. Problem is we dont really know.

As to how it compares to an Evo 7 i suggest you do your research well on the net and do a bit of test driving yourself.

Its your thoughts on the matter that count, not ours!

-df- said:

Anyone know what the V6 STi is like compared to an Evo 7? I've driven a V4 STi before and loved it...so surely the V6 is the same/better.

I'm after a car that is a little "softer" then my Evo...e.g. suspension, seats (damn I hate the seats in the Evo...prob help if I went on a diet tho!! lol)...but with the same kind of handling and speed.

What are ya some sort of wimp ?

;D

If you want soft buy a regular Lancer or Impreza instead of the hot versions.

STi v6 was the best of the regular GC8/classic Imprezas, different engine, revised suspension, interior etc over the STi v4.

That said an Evo 7 is the better car; faster, better handling but with less character.

Best you get your butt into an STi 6 and test drive before you buy.

newsuba']

[quote name='-df- said:

/quote]

What are ya some sort of wimp ?

;D

If you want soft buy a regular Lancer or Impreza instead of the hot versions.

STi v6 was the best of the regular GC8/classic Imprezas, different engine, revised suspension, interior etc over the STi v4.

That said an Evo 7 is the better car; faster, better handling but with less character.

Best you get your butt into an STi 6 and test drive before you buy.

haha, nah...just getting old and soft! lol

I don't want something soft...just a little bit softer then the Evo...the ones I've driven in the past have been a perfect mix for me.

Driven almost all of them except for the V5 & V6...so think I'll take the risk...its a good chance to do a road trip with a mate and leave the misses at home...lol

Guest keltik

Have driven a version 6 STI and a evo 5. The evo was just better to thrash. But when it came to driving around town in traffic and enjoying the interior - the STI wins.