Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

TypeR RWD?????

just a question for all you big players out there

ive got a 98 V5 typeR and have just stripped 2nd gear right.... ::) not because im a newbie, just they dont last for ever driving them the way i do!! DCCD is awesome!!

now im not rolling in the $$$ so ive lined up a turbo gearbox (unknown ks) that is RWD for cheap.

my question is... im suspecting the engine check light will come on as i wont have the dccd in while running it with a different gearbox. or does it run completely seperate from the engine ecu??

does anyone have a RWD TypeR or know someone who does and can fill me in a bit??

im pretty sure my R180 will be up to the task (dont really care about the cheap rwd g-box) as it still feels mint and i didnt have any troubles with my V4 typer diff after 2yrs of clutch kicks!!

all so.. anyone have any hook ups on gearbox parts?? ill rebuild my factory g-box while its rwd and put it back in when the replacement one grenades ;D

Koom said:

Could just bolt your rear housing onto the replacement box so that you retain the DCCD.

DCCD controller is separate from the engine ECU as far as I know.

in a gc /gf yes - in a later GD from the daig's keltik and i looked at it talks to the ECU.

but yes - just swap the center diff over (and your front diff for that matter) as i bet you will have a helical unit in the one you've busted and will be open in the mystery box.

umm aren't you guys forgetting he wants to run this other gearbox in rwd so he cant bolt his dccd housing onto it as he needs a welded centre diff in there.

but yea should be fine just unplugging the dccd unit and running in rwd with welded centre diff for a while.

Not forgetting anything. He has bought a cheap box (that happens to currently be RWD) so that he can still drive his car by the looks of it. If he puts his DCCD rear section onto this 2nd hand gearbox, he'll be able to continue driving as he had been beforehand.

I think you should re-read his post ;)

driftrex said:

umm aren't you guys forgetting he wants to run this other gearbox in rwd so he cant bolt his dccd housing onto it as he needs a welded centre diff in there.

but yea should be fine just unplugging the dccd unit and running in rwd with welded centre diff for a while.

errr read again... i think he needs "any" replacement coz he is tight on funds, and has found a RWD one as a compromise. read the quote "DCCD is awesome!!" implies he'd like his box with dccd back but (quote) "m not rolling in the $$$" assuming he cant fix it right now..

Koom - oh snap ;)

lol from my conversations (not in this post) with him he actually wants it rwd for a while.

but if for some reason he does want to keep it 4wd with the crap gearbox then you guys are right, provided this gearbox still has its front diff fitted.

haha ok to clear things up....

im going to have fun RWD with the cheap replacement box

i will rebuild my oe one while its rwd to put back in wen i kill the cheap replacement.

just wanted to know if the dccd controller and the engine ecu comunicate with eachother.

thanks for the input guys

jacsmiley said:

haha ok to clear things up....

im going to have fun RWD with the cheap replacement box

i will rebuild my oe one while its rwd to put back in wen i kill the cheap replacement.

just wanted to know if the dccd controller and the engine ecu comunicate with eachother.

thanks for the input guys

nah the ecu and dccd dont talk - but it will likely flash the 50:50 flight or rear 65:35 light (cant remember which) to say its in dccd error. Unplug the dccd controller off the loom and that should fix that - it wont limp in either situation - but the light on the dash cluster would p|ss me off

funkytown']

[quote name='driftrex said:

/quote]

errr read again... i think he needs "any" replacement coz he is tight on funds, and has found a RWD one as a compromise. read the quote "DCCD is awesome!!" implies he'd like his box with dccd back but (quote) "m not rolling in the $$$" assuming he cant fix it right now..

Koom - oh snap ;)

yeah mate you got it. i dont want to loose my gear ratios as those of you in the know, will know the typeRs have different to standard STIs

so id rather rebuild than replace. im sure a second hand typeR gbox isnt cheap!!

• 1 month later...

I'd interested to hear how the R180 holds up as a mate of mine has a RWD WRX (with a forged motor) but it still has the R160 which tends to single spin at times and breaks axles almost every time its driven! Admittedly, its not driven lightly at all...! :D Oh the joys of a "drift hack"

I'm tempted to get another box and rwd mine for a while too... Just don't really want to break my R180. I think I'll try get a spare one along with a set of axles before another box goes in... ???

scooby-wrx said:

I'd interested to hear how the R180 holds up as a mate of mine has a RWD WRX (with a forged motor) but it still has the R160 which tends to single spin at times and breaks axles almost every time its driven! Admittedly, its not driven lightly at all...! :D Oh the joys of a "drift hack"

I'm tempted to get another box and rwd mine for a while too... Just don't really want to break my R180. I think I'll try get a spare one along with a set of axles before another box goes in... ???

Mine has a R160 and its still not broken

scooby-wrx said:

thats weird cause my r160 twin spins instantly every time without fail, maybe his is buggered? and i never broke an axle or cv, and mine gets death as well, well when it was on the road anyway.

driftrex']

[quote name='scooby-wrx said:

/quote]

thats weird cause my r160 twin spins instantly every time without fail, maybe his is buggered? and i never broke an axle or cv, and mine gets death as well, well when it was on the road anyway.

I broke cvs when I had stuffed back shocks ;D

liquid_ice I recon you haven't broken an axle yet, coz that vid is what I'd consider taking it easy... :D

Na, that's pretty wicked! What sort of power you putting out ??? Did the CV's break when your shocks were worn or did you sheer axle shafts in half... ??? My mates REX has a fair amount of power, its fully forged with 440cc injectors, Version 3 heads and a TD05 as well a few other little bolt on parts.

driftrex My mate's had two R160's now and they start off well, but always leads to single spinnin. Maybe this is why the axles snap... ???

scooby-wrx said:

liquid_ice I recon you haven't broken an axle yet, coz that vid is what I'd consider taking it easy... :D

Na, that's pretty wicked! What sort of power you putting out ??? Did the CV's break when your shocks were worn or did you sheer axle shafts in half... ??? My mates REX has a fair amount of power, its fully forged with 440cc injectors, Version 3 heads and a TD05 as well a few other little bolt on parts.

driftrex My mate's had two R160's now and they start off well, but always leads to single spinnin. Maybe this is why the axles snap... ???

Mine were braking as my old shocks were stuffed and leaning to one side under load, that burn out was in third gear lol

I can do them with a full car load as well with no problems now

I think it all comes down the angle of the shaft/joint under load