TDO5H Or a VF28 TURBO!

uwa8nc

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pappu said:

if then turbosmart controller is not allowing u to properly run something like 16-18 then perhaps change the spring to like a 10 or 8 psi and then the controller will have abetter chance to adjust the boost better.

with the standard setup, its best not to go over 18..i wud say 16 be the max to be safe.

also once u set 16 then u should do a dyno run and get the AF ratio checked to ensure its not leaning out

lastly, if u do go on to run higher boost, it may pay to get a better intercooler or even a front mount if u can - apart from looking nice it should also keep the intake temp bit lower.

what area u from?

Hey buddy it does have a front mount lol,Im from Auckland.And you?

kingersman said:

this guy sort of reminds me of spec c...

main thing here, you want big numbers but don't want to spend money on it?

I don't know why you assume i don't want to spend money on it,like i said i have had evo's n skylines and have spent a lot of money in the past getting the car to 20-30psi...With ease.This is my first subaru,Didn't know the concept was almost the same.

uwa8nc']

this guy sort of reminds me of spec c...

main thing here, you want big numbers but don't want to spend money on it?

I don't know why you assume i don't want to spend money on it,like i said i have had evo's n skylines and have spent a lot of money in the past getting the car to 20-30psi...With ease.This is my first subaru,Didn't know the concept was almost the same.

[quote name='uwa8nc said:

Plus isn't getting it tuned over a Grand anyways?

That's way to expensive.

No assumptions made. Just repeating what you'd said.

So are you actually trying to obtain a specific power level, drag timeslip, laptime somewhere or just wanting 30psi for the sake of being able to say your car is wound up to 30psi??

Nothing like that mate.30Psi for a standard subaru would be pushing it.may be im doing something wrong.

When i put the foot down it dosen't seem like im doing 18 psi.

So may be i should turn the boost down via the tap to the least possible --> So then may i might feel 14psi at it's full potential.

I don't mind if the guy above comment who i asked me where i was located could come and check out my car and tell me where im going wrong and whether i have done something wrong.Because it sure as hell dosen't feel like 1.4 Bar when the foot's on the floor.

I was also thinking of Taking out the ECU(Reseting it)For around half an hour and then putting it Back.And See what happen's then.!

Don't know yet,Haven't tried.But i don't think i am leaking boost from anywhere.So yeah just hoping one of the boy's from here who has owned a subaru before can check my engine and tell me what goes where so i can run 1Bar in peace,without blowing the engine :)!

i would recomend getting an AFR check done to make sure u doing ok and running it on 1 bar as 1.4 is bit high for a standard setup e.g. the injectors may not be in the best shape to supply proper fuel for that much boost

anyway, if i was u , i would run say 16-18 psi max and then get it dynoed (afr and knock checked) to ensure its all happy on the ecu front

sine u already have the basic mods like front mount and exhaust , thats all i wud as described above.

a close mate had a similar car - 97 wagon wrx and was running similar stuff to u and doing 17psi i thin and car seemed sweet as and all dandy lol

once u wana get more power outta it, then it wud be time to look at retune and bigger injectors etc (basically the $$ spending begins)

would u be able to check what color ur injector plugs are - either its grey or yellow.

assuming yellow for u to be ok in the 16psi range

pappu said:

i would recomend getting an AFR check done to make sure u doing ok and running it on 1 bar as 1.4 is bit high for a standard setup e.g. the injectors may not be in the best shape to supply proper fuel for that much boost

anyway, if i was u , i would run say 16-18 psi max and then get it dynoed (afr and knock checked) to ensure its all happy on the ecu front

sine u already have the basic mods like front mount and exhaust , thats all i wud as described above.

a close mate had a similar car - 97 wagon wrx and was running similar stuff to u and doing 17psi i thin and car seemed sweet as and all dandy lol

once u wana get more power outta it, then it wud be time to look at retune and bigger injectors etc (basically the $$ spending begins)

would u be able to check what color ur injector plugs are - either its grey or yellow.

assuming yellow for u to be ok in the 16psi range

I don't know what injector's i have mate,have only had the car for 2 months now.

How Much is it going to cost me to get it AFR Checked?...

Is it really worth it?Or should i just reset the ECU And go from there?

I don't mind running between 14-16psi as long as i get the full potential,as i am not taking it down the strip or track anytime soon,Car's just being daily driven as off now.

So i don't want to get it Re-Tuned just yet,As for bigger injector's i don't mind spending a lil $$ to get them!

Where abouts in Auckland are You situated mate?

you seem to be more interested in spending money just to say you have something cool sounding without actually getting any results. I.e, bigger turbo, bigger wastegate, bigger injectors.

Yet, it seems things like tuning and computers are a turn off because they're expensive and don't sound as awesome. Well, fact is, computer and tuning is easily the single biggest factor to making power, reliability, and also fuel economy.

If you get bigger injectors, you need a tunable computer, and then dyno tune. Same if you put on a bigger turbo.

The fact you're winding up the boost and your car doesn't go any better is proving that your computer and probably fuel system are NOT coping with what you're forcing the engine to do.

wrx_lou said:

For someone who has heavily modified EVO's and skylines you seem to have trouble grasping some of the plain simple suggestions/information people have given you.

maybe he meant had - they blew up. and here we are...

re reading his posts... i dont think anything we post is going to help

somone needs to sit down with this guy and explain how

boost / flow / charge temp / fueling / octane / compression / timing / pre-detonation / tune / exhaust temp / AFRs / ETC are all important factors to make good power reliably.

not just 1.4Bar or 30psi which is NOT a gauge of how fast any turbo car should FEEL

Guest boostin

If it feels slow then you either have a boost leak or the ECU is pulling timing. When the ECU detects detonation/knock it retards the ignition timing and drops the boost pressure. Now because your external wastegate is controlling boost, the ECU will be throwing a fit and pulling as much timing as it can.

If you have the stock grey injectors (likely), you are dicing with the engine gods if you wind any more than 15psi out of it. the injectors simply won't flow enough, the engine will lean out, detonate, and weld itself solid.

$1k for a tune is probably cheap. You should be getting an aftermarket ECU first, then get it tuned.

Heed some warnings here, else you'll be up for an engine replacement soon, and scratching your head wondering why a stock engine blew up when you put 24psi through it. Other makes may handle it. Subaru's don't.

Guest boostin

Which must be aftermarket turbos. Those ceramic turbos spit the dummy past 15psi.

I hear RB's are pretty good at cracking ring lands too.

uwa8nc']

I have an external " TIAL " wastegate mate!

Right, don't think you ever mentioned that ;)

I don't know what injector's i have mate,have only had the car for 2 months now.

If you pop the bonnet and have a look for the fuel injectors (near the end of the intake manifold runners on the outside) you'll either see yellow or grey

Anyways, if you simply remove the boost controller it'll run 14psi. Do that and reset the ecu (unplug the battery negative terminal, pump the brakes a few times, reattach negative terminal, start car, warm it up and then take it for a spirited drive) and then see if it feels faster. If so, then it was indeed pulling the timing in a big way

This solution is free :)

MercuryFree']

I have an external " TIAL " wastegate mate!

Right, don't think you ever mentioned that ;)

/quote]

If you pop the bonnet and have a look for the fuel injectors (near the end of the intake manifold runners on the outside) you'll either see yellow or grey

Anyways, if you simply remove the boost controller it'll run 14psi. Do that and reset the ecu (unplug the battery negative terminal, pump the brakes a few times, reattach negative terminal, start car, warm it up and then take it for a spirited drive) and then see if it feels faster. If so, then it was indeed pulling the timing in a big way

This solution is free :)

Have already done that mate,jus waiting to take it for a drive!Thanks heaps!

kamineko said:

re reading his posts... i dont think anything we post is going to help

somone needs to sit down with this guy and explain how

boost / flow / charge temp / fueling / octane / compression / timing / pre-detonation / tune / exhaust temp / AFRs / ETC are all important factors to make good power reliably.

not just 1.4Bar or 30psi which is NOT a gauge of how fast any turbo car should FEEL

Thanks for targetting me Buddy,Much appreciated!

jake_the_muss']

[quote name='wrx_lou said:

For someone who b]has[/b] heavily modified EVO's and skylines you seem to have trouble grasping some of the plain simple suggestions/information people have given you.

maybe he meant had - they blew up. and here we are...

to answer your question,some of the cars that i bought were already modified buddy,and no none of my car's have ever blown up,just sold them,and got new cars.

boostin said:

If it feels slow then you either have a boost leak or the ECU is pulling timing. When the ECU detects detonation/knock it retards the ignition timing and drops the boost pressure. Now because your external wastegate is controlling boost, the ECU will be throwing a fit and pulling as much timing as it can.

If you have the stock grey injectors (likely), you are dicing with the engine gods if you wind any more than 15psi out of it. the injectors simply won't flow enough, the engine will lean out, detonate, and weld itself solid.

$1k for a tune is probably cheap. You should be getting an aftermarket ECU first, then get it tuned.

Heed some warnings here, else you'll be up for an engine replacement soon, and scratching your head wondering why a stock engine blew up when you put 24psi through it. Other makes may handle it. Subaru's don't.

Thanks alot for the Info Buddy,You summed it up preety well .. will start looking for an After-market Ecu now.What's good for subaru?Link?

Let me know.

Cheers mate :) !

kingersman said:

340kw on 30psi??? something sounds a little wrong there

No mate,My skyline was 340 kw..One of my evo's (evo 3) ran 30psi...So relax,Don't get your thoughts twisted in a bunch,If your trying to find fault in whatever i say...It's not helping!

Guest loren

I my opinion, uwa8nc is one of the biggest bullsh1ters on clubsub to date. There is no way what so ever that he has owned a 340kw skyline or any EVOs, or probably anything at all. He knows nothing, so could not have owned anything.

loren said:

I my opinion, uwa8nc is one of the biggest bullsh1ters on clubsub to date. There is no way what so ever that he has owned a 340kw skyline or any EVOs, or probably anything at all. He knows nothing, so could not have owned anything.

haha,Your a Joke mate,You want to see picture's and video's of car's i have owned with my Drag slip times?..In all honesty i don't care if you think im lying mate,Ill buy and sell you at a loss :).Good Luck in whatever you do buddy,have a lovely day :)!