Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

TDO5H Or a VF28 TURBO!

uwa8nc

Hey guys for some reason the minimum boost i am running is 1Bar,Apparently the last owner said that the wastegate has a 14 pound spring.i haven't opened up the waste gate to check..

If i turn the boost up on the "Turbosmart" boost Controller just a little it goes all the way up to 1.4 Bar,Is that Good for my engine?Running such high boost with just a TD05H..

Therefore im wondering whether i should get a bigger turbo?.How about a Vf28?Is that little bigger than the Td05?OR?..I think the Version 5's use that turbo,Im just a 96 Wrx Wagon!

This is my first subaru so im a little lost when it comes to These Turbo's..Let me know what i can do to go a little faster and whether it's safe to run 1.4 Bar with a td05H Turbo.

You guys reckon i should put a bigger spring in the wastegate?

Cheers Guys,

Have a nice week Ahead!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

kingersman said:

can't remember who told me but i was told the TD05 should be able to handle around 20psi max.

Is this true or load of ****?

Depends entirely on the engine that its bolted too and the heads its pushing through. Turbo's are usually rated on their flowrate potential anyway, but still that is just a guide.

But yeah, on a normal-ish EJ20, 20psi could be achieved. Factory internals/tune won't like it much.

So what do you reckon i do mate?get a bigger turbo?...so it's not harsh on the engine or?...what about getting a Tdo6 or somewhere along the line's of a Garret..

What do you guys reckon?

Let me know,Before i blow my damm engine at 21Psi and a 14 Pound waste gate spring.

What's the highest wastegate spring you can buy in the market?20 psi?

Let me know,Cheers! :)

None of the above. Your turbo is fine. You need to either dumb it down to factory boost, or fit a computer and get it tuned.

Even with a tune I wouldnt be running more than 18 psi (and that is generous) on the factory internals.

uwa8nc said:

So what do you reckon i do mate?get a bigger turbo?...so it's not harsh on the engine or?...what about getting a Tdo6 or somewhere along the line's of a Garret..

What do you guys reckon?

Let me know,Before i blow my damm engine at 21Psi and a 14 Pound waste gate spring.

Getting a bigger turbo will be just as bad for your engine and will also be more laggy. Either keep the boost below 1.4bar or prepare for the engine to break

wrx_lou']

LOL and you say I'm unhelpful!

haha yeah but I tried being helpful and the questions just got dumber (along with my answers) :P

e.g.

[quote name='uwa8nc said:

What's the highest wastegate spring you can buy in the market?20 psi?

I don't want to blow my engine at 21psi but I want to put a 20psi spring in the wastegate ?? ::)

you can run 20psi on factory old shitty internals with success like i have for a few years now. however, you will also need to do fueling, cooling, computer and dyno tuning like i have.

doing exactly what you've done is a fast track ticket to destroying your motor. this is what gives subaru's (and perhaps turbo cars) in general a bad name for breaking easy. run wastegate spring pressure, modify your car further to be able to support the boost and power, and then tune it, or destroy your motor. there's the options.

Ok,So the majority of you guys are saying run Factory Boost which is 14 Psi?..Fine ill just turn the boost all the way down,but what if i want to go faster?...Turning the boost up will just damage my engine won't it?

Plus isn't getting it tuned over a Grand anyways?

That's way to expensive.

So you guys reckon 14psi with a 14 psi Spring for the waste gate is fine?

Then that's what i will do.

Although if i do get a bigger turbo?It dosen't mean that i necessarily have to get a bigger wastegate as well right?

What if i just get a bigger waste gate now?

Will i feel more boost at 14psi?

Plus i also want to get an aftermarket fuel pump.It should help as well right?

Can you guy's send me a link or something from trade me,and tell me if it's a good 1...Im guessing a 500Hp Walbro??

Dude. You dont get a biggest wastegate, you get a higher rated spring. The spring dictates how much boost you will run. You have a 14psi so thats how much boost your going to get. just turn your boost controller off and run the boost mechanicaly (through the wastegate).

If you get a bigger turbo you will have to tune your car and yes it will cost you over $1k

if you want to use your controller then put in a lower spring, say 10psi or so and then dial it up to 14.5 (1bar) which is factory.

uwa8nc said:

Although if i do get a bigger turbo?It dosen't mean that i necessarily have to get a bigger wastegate as well right?

Can you guy's send me a link or something from trade me,and tell me if it's a good 1...Im guessing a 500Hp Walbro??

Your wastegate is internal to the turbocharger itself. The only way to 'get a bigger one' is to get an aftermarket external one, and then pay for someone to weld it up into your exhaust, and take out your turbo and weld up the internal gate on your turbo so it doesn't open by itself.

For all of that $$$ outlay you'll have achieved nothing.

The only reason(s) that big HP cars are fitted with bigger wastegates are a) internal wastegate can no longer handle the ridiculous amounts of flow or b) the (aftermarket) turbo they run does not have an internal gate.

Your fuel pump also shouldn't need upgrading.

couple of misunderstandings/dreamers in this thread..

a) more boost does not always mean more power. it means hotter air, and if your not dealing with that it means less power. a factory tune will pull timing at high boost in an effort to save your engine. not good for power.

b) an aftermarket tuned computer will run less boost and more timing. this is more efficient and safer.

c) you get what you pay for! you want fast and reliable you have to spend money simple as that.

summed up nicely by

Choose only 2: FAST - RELIABLE - CHEAP

wrx_lou said:

Dude. You dont get a biggest wastegate, you get a higher rated spring. The spring dictates how much boost you will run. You have a 14psi so thats how much boost your going to get. just turn your boost controller off and run the boost mechanicaly (through the wastegate).

If you get a bigger turbo you will have to tune your car and yes it will cost you over $1k

if you want to use your controller then put in a lower spring, say 10psi or so and then dial it up to 14.5 (1bar) which is factory.

But my boost controller is a manual one,So basically what your saying is keep turning it down till the tap is closed?..and let the wastegate run 14psi?..Isn't 14psi the biggest spring you can get for a wastegate anyway?.

MercuryFree']

[quote name='uwa8nc said:

/quote]

Your wastegate is internal to the turbocharger itself. The only way to 'get a bigger one' is to get an aftermarket external one, and then pay for someone to weld it up into your exhaust, and take out your turbo and weld up the internal gate on your turbo so it doesn't open by itself.

For all of that $$$ outlay you'll have achieved nothing.

The only reason(s) that big HP cars are fitted with bigger wastegates are a) internal wastegate can no longer handle the ridiculous amounts of flow or b) the (aftermarket) turbo they run does not have an internal gate.

Your fuel pump also shouldn't need upgrading.

I have an external " TIAL " wastegate mate!

if then turbosmart controller is not allowing u to properly run something like 16-18 then perhaps change the spring to like a 10 or 8 psi and then the controller will have abetter chance to adjust the boost better.

with the standard setup, its best not to go over 18..i wud say 16 be the max to be safe.

also once u set 16 then u should do a dyno run and get the AF ratio checked to ensure its not leaning out

lastly, if u do go on to run higher boost, it may pay to get a better intercooler or even a front mount if u can - apart from looking nice it should also keep the intake temp bit lower.

what area u from?

uwa8nc']

[quote name='wrx_lou said:

If you get a bigger turbo b]you will have to tune your car[/b] and yes it will cost you over $1k

But my boost controller is a manual one,So basically what your saying is keep turning it down till the tap is closed?..and let the wastegate run 14psi?..Isn't 14psi the biggest spring you can get for a wastegate anyway?.

You don't just slap a big turbo on and hope for the best. You need your ecu to supply the right amount of fuel and spark at the right time.

What are you trying to achieve here?? Why do you want a bigger spring? A 7 psi spring will still allow you to run 20psi with the use of a controller. A 14psi spring can usually hold up around 25-30psi. But you need to be able to tune your ECU to get anywhere near that.

Stick to 14psi.