Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Toyota Surfs

Koom said:

I hear that Subaru make some of their vehicles with 4wd systems and apparently they are also quite comfortable vehicles for driving to skifields in?

I hear u

say a 2.5 outback with skinny AT tires and an auto pretty much unstoppable in the snow and ice :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heyy i have a 93 surf 1kz engine. done 218xxx kms . in my experience it is the best truck out ther. i paid 5,600 for mine and it has proven to be uber reliable. nothing major has gone wrong only usual stuff, tyres ;) . great power in the 3ltr turbo, makes it up hills sweet as. good economy up to 500km + on the highway, comfy, and they look mint. the back window is uber cool how it rolls down and it stops you gettin an annoying wind flow on your face while driving, yet still providing fresh air.

back seats fold down flat and there is enough room to throw a mattress in and sleep in it. camping is great fun me and my mates do it all the time.

put a set of 30" mudders on it and you have a mud eating mahine. hi-lo range for 4wd big bullbars, lots of weight, low centre of gravity.

enough battery power to run a winch if you wnt. in my opinion best trucks out :D

Except they have weak front diffs if offroaded hard :)

Now MY 1990 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ engine 5 speed manual part time 4wd live axles front and rear heavyduty leaf sprung suspension IS the best truck out there,But Truck is the Operative word :)

Yeah the main reason is i know of a tidy surf i might be able to buy so main reason im asking..

And diesel cheap on gas to goto mountain every weekend.

I will still tkae the r up everynow an again but uses to much gas to go every weekend lol.

I dont like the bighorns all though yours went alright up the mountain the other day ross.

Like the look of the surf and the fact its a toyota..and hey if it craps out easy enough to put a lexus in right :D

Need to get something asap basiclly once the carib has gone as the missus corolla aint going to make it to the mountain haha

if you can get a cheap one then by all means get it cos they seem to hold value really well.

Hopefully its the 3.0 diesel. The 2.4s as mentioned do heads, so if it is the 2.4 ask if he has done the head as lots do.

As an indication of fuel useage the bighorn gets to Hutt and back on about $25 whilst it costs the foz upwards of $40(although its a lot more fun to drive there!!).

Dont fall into the trap of thinking you are bulletproof on the access road cos you drive a truck! So many do!

Koom said:

I hear that Subaru make some of their vehicles with 4wd systems and apparently they are also quite comfortable vehicles for driving to skifields in?

That's quite interesting, I never knew such a thing. I might look into this "Subaru" that you speak of.

i had a 93 Hilux SSR-X Surf 3L diesel auto, bloody good truck!

I did all the preventative maintenance and never had an issue. i.e. trans flushed, radiator flushed, regular service

brought it 4 years ago for $7250, just sold it for $8250.

The same year v6.. stare well clear of IMO

2.4Ds are gutless, the 3L Diesel was good on gas, sweet as on the open road and towing.

You find that most the Surfs that give trouble is because some muppet didnt do servicing on it. Same with subarus or any car for that matter. I'd be trying to find one with a full proven service history.

My old one had hardly been off road and it showed.

The SSR-G model has recaro seats and cruise control.

I had a 1995 3.0L Hilux Surf a few years ago... bought it for 9k and sold it for more.

absolutely brilliant, no problems at all. good vehicle.

but brad: why not do one better, and get a ute? :D

Guest boostcut
 DRFVDR']

[quote name='ODB said:

or a landcruiser?

/quote]

mmmmm Landcruiser

like my old mans 05 100 Series VX limited :) all the bells and whistles but $50+k :(

50k? more like start at 70 and work your way up... they are fricken sweet trucks. but if they have had a smashed windscreen and have been replaced i would make the owner pull it out and show you it being put back in. i had to completely strip the interior and engine loom out of a 2004 100 series as th windscreen leaked onto the computer and shorted out near every connector in the loom and cost near 20k to fix. no warranty and smith and smith wouldnt pay

boostcut']

[quote name='ODB said:

or a landcruiser?

/quote]

mmmmm Landcruiser

like my old mans 05 100 Series VX limited :) all the bells and whistles but $50+k :(

50k? more like start at 70 and work your way up... they are fricken sweet trucks. but if they have had a smashed windscreen and have been replaced i would make the owner pull it out and show you it being put back in. i had to completely strip the interior and engine loom out of a 2004 100 series as th windscreen leaked onto the computer and shorted out near every connector in the loom and cost near 20k to fix. no warranty and smith and smith wouldnt pay

They have dropped in price :)

my old mans one is an NZ new and was special order,it has a sunroof,dual zone front AC rear AC, Kinetic hydraulic suspension,and adjustable shocks :) mmmmmm and i get it for 6 weeks while they go to sweden

Guest boostcut

well, the 2.4 non turbo is more powerful than the 2.4 turbo. that in its self should make something click upstairs