Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

I has Questions!

Hurro :)

I have a V8 STI, just have a few questions:

Basically i want to get it going a bit faster. Was thinking down-pipe, EBC (any recommendations?), and a re-tune. I have a HKS Fuel and ignition computer at the mo.

Would i need an external wastegate too?

Do you think it would be more worthwhile to sell computer and get the re-tune with the factory computer? (was told it was a good idea) or keep my computer and get the re-tune with that? As well as down-pipe etc before the re-tune.

Also how much do you think a re-tune should cost??

Hope im making sence here! Any advice, suggestions welcome :)

No need for external wastegates, BOV's and all of that nonsense. Put a full exhaust on it, leave the factory airbox and get it tuned. No need for EBC or aftermarket ECU at this stage, the factory computer is very capable.

Speedsource will do a tune for about $600-800, Torque Performance will do one for about $2k. Heaps of other people tuning Subie's as well. The V8 should get up to 220kw's at the wheels quite easily.

Lol don't even bother with an external you won't need it and flushing money down the loo for that it will give you no gain unless you want the noise. Just head to nzefi, or R.E Sinclairs. Retune can be anywhere from $300 up to $800 depending on how many hours it's on the dyno for. They generally charge per hour. Definitely get that downpipe sorted as the rest of the exhaust is done.

Upgrade the pads, put in some fluid and hit the track. You're not even near close to pushing that thing to it's limits lol, why get more power? When u aren't currently using it to the max of what it can do. ;) Do some tracktime and go from there, as you will know where to go after that. :)

nice car! Im impressed!

As has been stated before in this thread, if you can get 220kw+ out of the car via muffler/ecu tuning then id get it to that power level and see how you feel then.

It should be pretty brutal fro the street with great driveability if tuned well.

Nick is bang on when he says about brakes. Get some good pads, some new fluid, possibly even a brake booster? but the other point i would make is TYRES!

Good tyres make a massive difference and are probably the best mod bang for buck.

I think the v8 use the same bridgestones as the v7s???????

If so they are superb and you do not need to worry. :)

Ill be interested in how you go on the track, before tune and after tune would be good to see too!

WRXER said:

Lol don't even bother with an external you won't need it and flushing money down the loo for that it will give you no gain unless you want the noise. Just head to nzefi, or R.E Sinclairs. Retune can be anywhere from $300 up to $800 depending on how many hours it's on the dyno for. They generally charge per hour. Definitely get that downpipe sorted as the rest of the exhaust is done.

Upgrade the pads, put in some fluid and hit the track. You're not even near close to pushing that thing to it's limits lol, why get more power? When u aren't currently using it to the max of what it can do. ;) Do some tracktime and go from there, as you will know where to go after that. :)

Sweet no external it is lol im not keen on throwing money away! Im thinking downpipe and EBC then a re-tune. But before i can sort that i need to figure out if i should get rid of the HKS computer or keep it!!

I know im not using it to the max but hey i cant exactly rath the crap out of it round town can i lol i wana get it all tuned and sorted before trackday so i can go hardies :)

Thanks Rossmnz! I dont think i have bridgestones anywho haha just what the past owner had on there, gonna wait till i NEED to change them before i get some better ones.

Im with WRXER on this one...make it able to stop real good and put decent rubber on it and figure out racing lines, brake points and exit speeds and that will more than compensate for more power...and stop it blowing up.

T.Rev said:

Im with WRXER on this one...make it able to stop real good and put decent rubber on it and figure out racing lines, brake points and exit speeds and that will more than compensate for more power...and stop it blowing up.

+1

Its not all about power. Especially on the track. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast and all that type of thing ;)

Driving skill will go alot further than just power.

Whats wrong with the way it controls boost now? Is it holding steady or is the boost level fluctuating or does it taper off when it gets high up in the revs?

Who are you scared of getting beaten by at the next trackday that makes you think you need more power anyway??

Go see if NZEFI can tune your HKS thingymajingy. A reflash of the standard ECU could cost a hell of alot for the first one to be able to buy the ECUTek rights (depends on who does the tuning etc).

I never even mentioned i wanted this just for a track day!! Yes i am doing a trackday but it will be my first so im not gonna be trying to beat anybody im just going to get out there and learn the ropes.

As you know Koom it overboosts in 4th, 5th and 6th so i want that sorted and thought it would be a good idea to get a re-tune etc before the track day just to see what i can do with her ;D

James took her into NZEFI (i think) and they said that u could do alot more tuning wise with the factory computer and to get rid of the HKS - i dont know much about these things so wanted some advice before i went and did anything......

I actually had forgotten that it overboosted in the higher gears. (as you know I haven't been round and said hi in about a million years, really should some time soon :P) I don't even remember what the exhaust is like on your car. Does it still just have the factory downpipe but then bigger rear section?

Did NZEFI mention a cost for retune using just the factory ECU?

Yes u really should come round Koom! Next week anytime is good for me ;)

Yup it is factory with 3" from catback......

NZEFI quoted $1130 for a re-tune with the factory ECU sounds fcuking ridiculously expensive to me! $700ish for HKS re-tune......

I'm taking the complete opposite route with my V7, suspension first, power later. Get an antilift kit, replace what bushings you easily can with polyurethane, heavy duty swaybar endlinks, and buy my Spec C springs since they're coming off this week ;) Put decent rubber on, get some really good brake pads. Get a good alignment, toe set to 0 and maximum negative camber on the front camber bolts. Then you won't need the power because your later braking points and higher corner speeds will compensate ;)

If you're absolutely determined to get power, downpipe + exhaust + retune will certainly help, but I think you'll get much more bang (ie. speed and fun) for your buck playing with the suspension.

Simon C said:

, suspension first, power later. replace what bushings you easily can with polyurethane. Put decent rubber on, get some really good brake pads. Get a good alignment, toe set to 0 and maximum negative camber on the front camber bolts. Then you won't need the power because your later braking points and higher corner speeds will compensate ;)

I think you'll get much more bang (ie. speed and fun) for your buck playing with the suspension.

Sounds like a blue hatch I know... ;D

Ouch now thats expensive for either options, welcome to the world of tuning. :-[ Not cheap but definitely an area where you never want to skimp on.

Have you installed ur EBC yet? As that could hold the key to limiting the overboost issue til a retune is in order, thats how I managed to stave off the retune for a looooooooong time as u know haha :-

Unfortunately the way with trackdays, U really don't know how ur car will do until u get out there. You can prep and prep months ahead of time, and still have a shitter of a day with something small coming up ie rotors cracking, a wheel alignment that doesn't work for you, boost issues etc.

Definitely get the minor things sussed and a good service, but you wont really know where to go til after ur first trackday.... Such as ur brakes maybe awsome so you want a little more power or ur finding that u are having steering issues that need to be addressed.

A free flowing 2.5" or 3" Exhaust from the Turbo Back, (not cat back, that's useless.) Remove all 3 of your cats or replace them with 1 high flow cat after the turbo.

A Cold air intake, such as a K&N Typhoon get it tuned with a ebc, and you should be rid'n 350BHP easy..

+Get Methanol/Alcahol cooling over your top mount intercooler, + Race gas + TD05-20G or GTR30R , and you'r doin 400bhp. Voila!