Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

blacked out tail lights

eekthecat

I actually had that typed before I saw your reply. Was just giving a reply to the best of my current knowledge on the subject :P

Its due to some rule that if they are an aftermarket part designed for your car, then they can be tinted. But if you tint your factory tailights, then they won't be deisgned to shine through the tint so will be too dull. Thats what I can remember anyway.

Stockings get runs anyway, and thats only become cool again in the last year or so.....

petrolheadjman said:

as far as i know, you are allowed to tint them as long as the reflectors are showing, ie you don't tint them

My tail lights still reflect light up to about 230 meters behind when you shine a light at them, The police don't hassle me and neither does the wof place

That was my same argument with no high stop light, as I had no spoiler.... Always passed wof and had no issues with police. Caught up to me eventually after a few years lol, instant $250 fine sigh. Same with tinted tail lights with several people I know of. You can even get green stickered for it, if one police officer wants to be particularily nasty. Personally it's not worth the risk IMO.

might be oldnews.com now, but I used to use a Tamiya spray paint to tint tail lights - pretty sure it was called "smoke", and is a polycarbonate spray designed for the underside of RC cars etc.

In saying that, it you tint your tail lights you're a mong.

monolith said:

might be oldnews.com now, but I used to use a Tamiya spray paint to tint tail lights - pretty sure it was called "smoke", and is a polycarbonate spray designed for the underside of RC cars etc.

In saying that, it you tint your tail lights you're a mong.

You're a mong haha :P

Nah... where have you been hiding??

there's a spray can available from repco/supercheap called VHT nightshades. It is a black tint spray that illuminates red. specifically designed for the purpose of tinting your tail lights and works reasonably well

however like any and all modifications to your lenses, it is illegal

do it properly and buy aftermarket tinted units which are legal as they're an OEM replacement by a reputable manufacturer. (i.e, manufactured for the purpose of being a tail light, and not further modified since)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest S T  E Y E

it comes down to the cop really

my old subaru was pink stickered for tinted tail lights and so was the mrs RS legacy back in the day...

the virm states that tail lamps.brake lights and reflectors must be visible from 100m or something stupid like that

tinting the tail lights "hinders" the brilliance of the brake lamp illumination among other lights too

so yes it is illegal to tint tail lights...

stockings are illegal too as they do the exact same thing

if u have them only slightly tinted u might get away with it but then if MR HITLER cop rolls along the virm states he is alloud to pink sticker ur car for the tail lights

why tint them anyway?? its defonatly not stealth (standard is stealth in my opinion) and it just attracts cops when u have shitty lights that are tinted

i grew up abit since i had tinted lights and wouldnt do it again