Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

turbo- Urgent answer needed working on it now

slystiguy

EDIT* ok so installed up an downpipe an now got major lag problems :( car gets upto 4000 rpm then starts to boost but not quite like it used to.... the bov seems to be working with the boost an I cant feel any leaks, I took it apart today an checked all the lines.no cracks everything hooked up but one intercooler piping wasnt on properly, put that back in properly an it still doesnt boost properly argh, any ideas?

I had to grind the old uppipe bolts off an had the wastegate sorta dangling there while i grinded. If I had bent this wastegate piece would it have these issues? the other thing was I split the turbo an it was in all good condition no shaft play at all. Im pretty sure I put it back in correctly but IF I hadn't would a bent turbo fin give this sorta problem?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok well 6hours after starting to get the turbo off the car I have the turbo off the car an the uppipe off the turbo.The turbo is split .About to resemble everything

I noticed the small circle piece of metal under the turbine on the turbo has abita movement in it. (like you can spin it freely) -is that normal ? is it suppose to do that? the turbine itself has no play at all an is surprisingly good condition for age. just that bit under it spins around abit to freely :/

Urgent answer needed (or if you are in chch town im working on it on wordsworth/brougham st right now)

nah its connected to the turbine but on the turbo side(not the exhaust house bit)

pretty sure its not suppose to move, when I put it back together it seems to have tightened up abit an isnt moving so hope I did it right lol be gutted if i stuffed up my td05!

slystiguy said:

ok well 6hours after starting to get the turbo off the car I have the turbo off the car an the uppipe off the turbo.The turbo is split .About to resemble everything

I noticed the small circle piece of metal under the turbine on the turbo has abita movement in it. (like you can spin it freely) -is that normal ? is it suppose to do that? the turbine itself has no play at all an is surprisingly good condition for age. just that bit under it spins around abit to freely :/

Urgent answer needed (or if you are in chch town im working on it on wordsworth/brougham st right now)

Heat shield (between the CHRA and turbine wheel) this will lock done when you attach the turbine housing and secure with C-clamp

got it sorted today an noticed vie got a lot of lag now? any ideas what I might have done wrong? took the whole turbo off an replaced downpipe with a stock subaru 1 an now my boost doesn't hit until like over 4000 when it used to start at 3000

im running a 95sti- td05 turbo

am abit gutted now :(

im 99% sure Everything was put back in the right place (beyond reasonable doubt anyways)

would a vacum leak be likely to give this problem?

car goes quite good still but the boost threshold is not right :/ kinda is like lag lag lag VOOOOOOM redline all of a sudden

my thoughts are with the actuator or possibly some sort of vacum leak?

any ideas there?

As to the other question

Don't have a boost gauge sorry -should get one eh!

an as for codes I haven't checked yet but will go check now although i've never had any issues before with codes so im unsure how to check properly...

OH actually i've just remembered that one of my oxygen sensors doesn't fit in the downpipe whole(way to small)

would this throw boost out if it wasn't plugged into the down pipe? as its currently just sitting on the airbox not doing anything haha ;D should really get that sorted asap

well 23 is the MAF sensor afaik.

Check google. im sure it is.

Im wondering whether the MAF sensor also takes some readings from the downpipe O2 sensor?

Cant say ive heard it has but if its getting non readings from there this could well explain your problem.

Id try and rectify this problem with the 02 sensor and then see if it still throws code 23.

If so check your wiring around there something could have either been put together wrong or come loose in the mod process.

If it still continues to throw the code id double check all your wastegate piping.

thank for the help ODB

yea code 23 is MAF... OH ops I know what a MAF is haha silly me.

Um so now that I know the code What makes this "not work" an does anyone know if its directly related to having boost problems particularly with boost threshold an or lagg problems

Cheers Sam

p.s where do I go from here? clean the MAF ?

Well the car starts an idles fine an boosts fine but its more the boost threshold that is the problem

I dont think the MAF is the issue as I have a feeling it was playing up last winter (stalling an stuff when cold) although I will replace the sensor an get it plumbed up properly asap

I'm looking more at the wastegate

Can I adjust the wastegate ? I think I may have bent the piping piece to it so it could possibly not be opening/closing properly now just wondering how/If it can be adjusted? I think a few weeks ago I was also having a bit of a whistle from the turbo (surge?)

any ideas on that one?

checked all the wiring its all plugged in ok. the plumbing im 99% sure is right but can't tell without looking at the same turbo setup in a different car tbh, all the pipes are bent in certain ways/shapes so it would be hard to get any mixed up in this case

with the o2 plugged in but out of the exhaust it will be thinking your running way lean... too much oxygen

that cud be doing all sorts of things

Just unplug it for now and the ECU goes into a slightly richer mode i.e. unplugged totally is better than plugged in and just sitting in the engien bay

quote: Since oxygen sensors are located in the exhaust stream, they do not directly measure the air or the fuel entering the engine. But when information from oxygen sensors is coupled with information from other sources, it can be used to indirectly determine the air-to-fuel ratio.

The sensor does not actually measure oxygen concentration, but rather the amount of oxygen needed to completely oxidize any remaining combustibles in the exhaust gas. Rich mixture causes an oxygen demand. This demand causes a voltage to build up, due to transportation of oxygen ions through the sensor layer. Lean mixture causes low voltage, since there is an oxygen excess

so if its sensing pure oxygen from not being in the exhaust stream, it wont be doing good things (but not real bad things either, lets say "not normal" things)

But regarding your boost probs, i dont think an o2 would cause what you describe, cud be wrong of course :P but i certainly dont think so.

I'd be checking all you turbo and boost noid vac hose plumbing, is the pill there etc, are thee hoses tight and on the right way etc

http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=3482

Ok cheers for that il have to have a good look over it an go from there

I noticed the car ran without the MAF in :/ (shouldn't it cut out?)

the other thing is the bov pipe is broken an the hose barely holds on well enough but I don't know weither this would be loose enough to have a vacum leak and it doesn't leak on idle but perhaps on full boost it might be leaking. (wasn't doing this before new pipes were installed)

slystiguy said:

OH actually i've just remembered that one of my oxygen sensors doesn't fit in the downpipe whole(way to small)

would this throw boost out if it wasn't plugged into the down pipe? as its currently just sitting on the airbox not doing anything haha ;D should really get that sorted asap

So the sensor is too small ai? That will not be your oxygen sensor then it will be exhaust temp probe.

oh yes it could be, I assumed it would be an o2 sensor haha, it is in the top of the stock down pipe an has a braided cord.

that aside it probably has little to nothing todo with the boost loss.I have a feeling ive stuffed something up on reinstall of turbo tbh will get it checked out if i get a wof 2moro an will of course post any results back here

hi again to all.

I have discovered this today haha

I was checking my vacuum lines an found the line from boost solenoid to airbox was just sitting there. an then saw that the connector piece on the airbox has snapped off (probably me)

You think this would be messing up the boost threshold? I will of course be replacing this anyway along with the bov :)

13112010717.jpg