Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Leone V Brumby for EJ20G conversion

BLSTIC

Just considering my options. I have a complete GT Legacy wagon to butcher. It has a 5 spd and a nearly rooted engine (thankfully I have a spare) and it's manual. It's also currently on the road, so I know that at least it all works and is relatively reliable (it's my daily driver for now).

I'm not looking at it in terms of liveability (I don't need any more than two seats), but cost, weight, handling, and sleeper factor.

Which one and why?

Thanks

Ben

now a Question... What shape leone are you meaning? The one that is same shape as brumby? or the one known as omega like RXII Coupe shape?

Or What about a Vortex?

If you use the latter shape omega you have more room under the bonnet as well as tranny tunnel.

Not sure but you may not have to cut the rasils on 1?

If You fit Quad cam engine in brumby and same leone shape you have to cut alot of the inner frame out.

Also on the brumby there can be a very tight fit for legacy box in there unless you fit a lift kit... Or if the car was original auto because they have a bigger Tranny tunnel.

But of the brumbys we got here there was No auto 1s available.

The USA got Auto Brats.

The earler leone did come with some autos but not all that many of them around. Died because of rust

as has been mentioned my take on it is that the older gen Leone/omega are better as they have wider frame rails(they have an over head cam setup unlike the earlier leone/brumby which is old school pushrod)

if u are going to do this and put in a rebuilt engine use the heads from a single OHC engine as these give u more room to play with....

u will need to do a complete swap of all running gear including hubs/brakes as this will be easier to comply than running the smaller leone stuff,saying this the later model ones would be better as well as they have a strut rear end and not a torsion bar one....

either way it will be a awesome project and alot of work....

TURTLE']

[quote name='Hopai said:

These days... a re badged Daihatsu Sirion... in the old days though...

/quote]

What happened to your justy project?

Got it running, went to get a WOF, found the entire floor pan from the rear seats back was rusting out around the welds.

Needless to say, It was used for fun-times on the farm... then snapped a Cambelt because the wastegate hose came off.

I have a magazine article here where a guy got an old RX Leone (turbocharged, 4 door, wierd straw weave pattern grill).

It seems the engine fit easily, with the only engine bay hacks required being to modify the crossmember to fit the legacy rack, and alter the radiator support panel. It needed a new gearbox crossmember as well. The diff was said to bolt up, and leone drivshafts were used (diff to wheels). He used all legacy springs, shocks, and brakes.

I can't see what year or original engine it has, although similar looking leone's (and the coupe versions) were sold in the mid-late 80's. So I would say it is the 'late model' one.

That said I have seen a few brumby conversions and wasn't aware of any body/chassis alterations that were needed.

BLSTIC said:

I have a magazine article here where a guy got an old RX Leone (turbocharged, 4 door, wierd straw weave pattern grill).

It seems the engine fit easily, with the only engine bay hacks required being to modify the crossmember to fit the legacy rack, and alter the radiator support panel. It needed a new gearbox crossmember as well. The diff was said to bolt up, and leone drivshafts were used (diff to wheels). He used all legacy springs, shocks, and brakes.

I can't see what year or original engine it has, although similar looking leone's (and the coupe versions) were sold in the mid-late 80's. So I would say it is the 'late model' one.

That said I have seen a few brumby conversions and wasn't aware of any body/chassis alterations that were needed.

That was the later shape RX only came in turbo here in the newer shape aka omega aka gen 2 etc

older shape RX was only twin carb and only 2 door coupe... States got a turbo ea81 with auto... but dnt think it was called a RX? Very Rare tho

heard the turbo ea81 is only 109 to 120 bhp at flywheel?

Hey mate over on another forum, a fella has just started a similar conversion on his Brumby. Its only early days, but he is showing it step by step.

Or alternatively, just check out the site, ausubaru.com and search for conversions, as there have been shti loads done on the older subys...

Goodluck.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lan_killa

I was looking into this when I bought my WRX, was considering swapping all the stuff out of it and into my Leone Wagon, and from what Ive heard its a pretty straight forward swap, apparentally the only thing that would need modifying is the crossmember to allow space for the down pipe to pass by it

But decided I liked the WRX too much so Leone is now up for sale :(

Auckland isn't going to work for me, unfortunately. I'm in Dunedin. And postage for a car won't be cheap. <stir>If you were on the mainland maybe...</stir>

But anyway, I'm looking for cars in a different price range.

• 1 month later...