Price of Platinum spark plugs?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest vf20/21bg5
 caged said:

BKR7ES

cool will do the BKR7ES....and a gap of 0.8 or 0.031" i do believe for me.....do they sell them at repco or supacheap?

Out of curiosity wat Wud be the service life on the normal copper ones on a turbo suby

Mne is running approx 20 psi - what sorta plug Wud be recommended. I want max conductivity and have heard that the coppers provide the best for making good power.

Wat u guys think as spark plugs not my speciality

Guest vf20/21bg5
 pappu said:

Out of curiosity wat Wud be the service life on the normal copper ones on a turbo suby

Mne is running approx 20 psi - what sorta plug Wud be recommended. I want max conductivity and have heard that the coppers provide the best for making good power.

my findings if it helps http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,18808.0.html

pappu said:

BkR7es's will be perfect for your application. About 20,000kms max or untill it starts miss firing, they will last a bit longer because of the coil on plug. waste spark eats them.

They seem to be fine with age and not driving the car, When you get to 9's they get a bit touchy and dont like to idle cold for very long. about 3$ each IIRC.

Guest vf20/21bg5
 caged said:

They seem to be fine with age and not driving the car, When you get to 9's they get a bit touchy and dont like to idle cold for very long. about 3$ each IIRC.

so anything over 400hp use 8's? r just 7's

CP93MM']

[quote name='caged said:

/quote]so anything over 400hp use 8's? r just 7's

Use 7's till you get misfire/det issues then switch to 8's?

Random aside from NGK topic, but anyone here used Brisk sparkplugs? Was just reading Nasioc and they were discussing those for stroker motors that had a phantom knock midway through the rev-range that Brisk plugs cured. Something about less protrusion on the tip?

Koom']

[quote name='caged said:

/quote]so anything over 400hp use 8's? r just 7's

Use 7's till you get misfire/det issues then switch to 8's?

Random aside from NGK topic, but anyone here used Brisk sparkplugs? Was just reading Nasioc and they were discussing those for stroker motors that had a phantom knock midway through the rev-range that Brisk plugs cured. Something about less protrusion on the tip?

Learn to read spark plug earth straps and then you know when to change to a colder plug, overheated plugs cause preignition and that kills shit quickly. Iv played around with non projected tip plugs on evo's and they do make a differance, you can make more power before having to go to a colder plug because less tip is exposed and it cools better.

u shouldnt ruin a BKR plug on a EJ...theyre a resistor type plug...the reason theyre "eating out on it" is because u should run BKR with a old school points type ignition with distributor

BCPR6ES is perfect on a mild setup...set the gap to .8 or i think most feeler blades allow u to set to 0.787 which is fine... Running a 1.1mm gap on a standard ignition is a no NO....as the boost will blow the spark out especcially at night time...

The whole theory is though that a smaller gap produces less power and a larger gap produces more power...

for example a RB26DETT running standard coils has missfire / spark blow out on 1.1mm gap plugs...run the gap at 0.8 and all is good....Switch over to spitfire coils ($1000 coils) and u can run the gap back to 1.1mm as the theres a shit load more spark energy meaning it can have enough force to still jump the gao under high boost pressures in the cylinder etc.....more power is made by doing this as more air/fuel is burned...

as for cp93mm id recomend u run BCPRS7es gapped to 0.8 and see how u go on the dyno...

are u upgrading ignition at all? cos if u are youd be able to open the gap up more and get better drivability and more power / smoother power curve....

iv experienced alot of different plugs on the dyno and BCPR plugs win hands down...for price and performance.....

and as for the other guy running 7s in his non turbo...u know there is such a thing as running too cold LOL.. pull ur plugs and have a look at them :P

iridium plugs are shit...less continuity than coppers and they cost a shit load more they only last longer

just my 2 cents and what ive had experiences with hope this helps

WRXONP']

u shouldnt ruin a BKR plug on a EJ...theyre a resistor type plug...the reason theyre "eating out on it" is because u should run BKR with a old school points type ignition with distributor

BCPR6ES is perfect on a mild setup...

You realise a BCPR6ES is also a resistor plug? They are a very similar plug, the main differance is the bkr are slightly shorter in body length (not thread) than the BCPR. The subaru coils are designed to suit the bkr body length but as you said they do fit.

[quote name='WRXONP said:

and as for the other guy running 7s in his non turbo...u know there is such a thing as running too cold LOL.. pull ur plugs and have a look at them :P

I know how to read plugs. If I pulled them I would find they were too hot ;) if you read a bit closer you would see that they were left over from going to 8's on my race car and as you know the heat mark isn't going to disappear from the earth strap. ;)

pappu said:

A sticker on my bonnet indicates a .7-.8 spark gap.

WEg wid be the effect of running a wider gap than recomended

This assuming I'm ending up running the BkR7es's in copper type plugs

the BKR plug isnt copper..its a resistor plug as i mentioned before...

the BCPR x ES is the plug to use (x being heat range) which is copper and not much more than a bkr

I read somewhere that there is only a few Spark Plug factorys in the world. This being the case, most spark plugs orginate from the same factory and consist of the same components. All those brand label ones are just that! Brand labels. ;)

WRXONP']

A sticker on my bonnet indicates a .7-.8 spark gap.

WEg wid be the effect of running a wider gap than recomended

This assuming I'm ending up running the BkR7es's in copper type plugs

the BKR plug isnt copper..its a resistor plug as i mentioned before...

the BCPR x ES is the plug to use (x being heat range) which is copper and not much more than a bkr

Copper has nothing to do with whether its a resistor plug or not ::)

[quote name='WRXONP said:

the c in BCPR means copper .........

No it doesnt. Stop providing false information. B= 14 mm thread diameter C=Hex Size 5/8. P=Projected Insulator type. R=Resistor Type plug. 6=Heat range. E=19mm thread reach. S=Standard 2.5mmø

center electrode.

So in Bkr6es the K=Hex Size 5/8 Projected Tip (With ISO sized body length)

Both copper cored plugs.

BKR7ES, BKR7ES-11 and BCPR7ES BCPR7ES-11 is a commonly stocked plug.

If you go in to a repco or BNT and ask them for a BKR7ES then they should hopfully have some on the shelf ready to go. They will almost always try upsell you to iridums or platnums though if you tell them what engine you have.