Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Mooreys oil stabilizer???

Guest S T  E Y E

Guest S T  E Y E

hey guys anyone here run mooreys oil stabilizer in their manual trans??? i got some as i looked at my oil level and it was a bit low and everything on mooreys bottle sounds oh sooo good haha...just wana make sure it not gonna wreck anything...also read subaru box hold 4 litres and mooreys says run 25 % so add 1 litre of mooreys

cheers guys

Guest S T  E Y E

its not broken tho.. its just low on oil and im not sure what to put in it.. if i shld use normal gbox oil 0r theres sum special stuff i gota put in it

kamineko said:

tho i'd be looking to see where your oil is leaking from?

+1. There's no point in topping it up if you're just gonna have to replace a seal in the near future. May as well fix it now, and save yourself some oil :P

Guest S T  E Y E

ok a bit of mis sunderstanding here...thers no leaks...no leaking seals...nothings broke...the gearbox got replaced just before i got car and was not filled up properly.......am wanting to know if mooreys is allright in a hypoid/trans....bit of a stupid thread as im getting stupid answers

S T E Y E said:

ok a bit of mis sunderstanding here...thers no leaks...no leaking seals...nothings broke...the gearbox got replaced just before i got car and was not filled up properly.......am wanting to know if mooreys is allright in a hypoid/trans....bit of a stupid thread as im getting stupid answers

sorry man, i disagree - none of the answers are stupid. you have a working gearbox that needs oil. you can top it up with the additive - if the blurb on the back sounds good to you, go for it.

the factory specifies 4L of syntrax or equiv - thats what a problem free gearbox uses, not a mixed with some random additive.

if the old oil is dirty, which is likely if its been driven around below full - then flush the lot with new factory oil.

:)

kamineko']

[quote name='S T E Y E said:

/quote]

sorry man, i disagree - none of the answers are stupid. you have a working gearbox that needs oil. you can top it up with the additive - if the blurb on the back sounds good to you, go for it.

the factory specifies 4L of syntrax or equiv - thats what a problem free gearbox uses, not a mixed with some random additive.

if the old oil is dirty, which is likely if its been driven around below full - then flush the lot with new factory oil.

:)

+1

You can do it the easy way or you can do it the right way...

Guess which costs the more later on

Guest S T  E Y E

the oil is new and stll gold looking...the mooreys says it stabilizes oil viscosity.lessens trans noise.runs at a cooler temp etc and a whole lot more so it sounds therefore way better than straight syntrax yea????

S T E Y E said:

the oil is new and stll gold looking...the mooreys says it stabilizes oil viscosity.lessens trans noise.runs at a cooler temp etc and a whole lot more so it sounds therefore way better than straight syntrax yea????

Not necessarily. Additives are generally more expensive and not usually worth it. Personally, I'd just put gearbox oil in mate. But if you really like (and believe) what you read - go for it.

Stick to good oil (theres other threads on what type/brands you can choose from) and if you ever do a oil replacment, get a little more so you have some around to top up when needed.

Dont mix different oils.

And additives are a waste of time.

But...

I used to use Mooreys as a assembly lube when rebuilding gearboxs/diffs.

Guest S T  E Y E

ok so if u say do i bleave wats on the mooreys...do u bleave wats on ya gbox oil????or ya engine oil??? same difference aye...mooreys been round for years and years mate

Guest S T  E Y E

tosser??? haha this forum is sooo gay full of assholes straight up...no one including u dickface could say a valid point about it yeah???this forum is full of people who live and talk of theory...not actual facts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S T E Y E said:

tosser??? haha this forum is sooo gay full of assholes straight up...no one including u dickface could say a valid point about it yeah???this forum is full of people who live and talk of theory...not actual facts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah and you are adding to the crap at a rapid pace.

S T E Y E said:

So you're taking the theory that's written on the side of the Moorey's bottle as gospel over advice from a bunch of guys who've been driving Subaru's since before you started school. Nice one. Test the Moorey's for us and come back and give us some facts 80k kms later....

since my point wasn't valid enough, i'll explain my reasoning. it's my opinion, you asked the question.

for general purpose, i trust a factory specified lubricant over anything else.

reason being the factory has tested the lubricant over the entire life of the vehicle (range) and also because a factory provides a warranty. it is in their best interest not to have stuff break... so they are not using something cheap, or something with the best blurb..

i've just pulled a gearbox right apart. i can tell you there are about a dozen different materials used, all seeing different loads with different wear rates. i cannot imagine the science and complexity of choosing the correct lube.

i'm not knocking the additive. i'm sure in certain cases it would benefit, when you want to change the properties of your standard oil to combat/mask problems in your gearbox. but we've been through that - your gearbox is good. so why not just use the specified lube.

• 3 years later...

Know this is super old but thought I would add my 2c in case anyone stumbles on this. Put this in my 5 speed that was on it\'s way out, 3rd crunched like crazy. Definitely a difference, still a crunch but no where near as bad.

Only covering up the issue, definitely not going to fix it but good in certain situations.

Heard from a mate that it\'s commonly used by dodgy car yards for masking tranny problems ......