Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

1996 WRX fuel consumption .

HI .

Was wondering what fuel figures you guys and girls are getting ? I know there are manufacturers claims and such , but i know real driving gives you different figures :P

haha well i just meant i needed people with 1996 ish subaru's to reply . no point in having the latest 2010 reply as i am sure they have come a looooong way since 1996 ;D

trying to figure if mine is running too rich and as a result is using way too much fuel .

funny thing is thou ...car showed empty today done 320 km but tank was "Full" after just 45 litres . Petrol tank is supposed to be 60L right ?

gorak said:

haha well i just meant i needed people with 1996 ish subaru's to reply . no point in having the latest 2010 reply as i am sure they have come a looooong way since 1996 ;D

trying to figure if mine is running too rich and as a result is using way too much fuel .

funny thing is thou ...car showed empty today done 320 km but tank was "Full" after just 45 litres . Petrol tank is supposed to be 60L right ?

paranoia?

i doubt it ...filled up car drove 320km then gauge showed empty and tank only took 45 litres ..... plus it has a really strong petrol smell when driving .

even taking into account if i have a faulty petrol gauge ... is 320 km on 45 liters of fuel "normal" for day to day driving ?

zarnah said:

mrs uses about two tanks a week, in and out of chch each day in V2 auto wrx, 20 mins each way, half motorway driving, half city and ussualy a trip during the weekend which includes lots of pissing round the city going from mall to mall ::)

WE used to do that from "goon...

hi .

is there any reason that the charcoal canister would have been unplugged by the previous owner ? does it give you any performance increase ? Also where is the canister located as i might check to see if it is not the cause of the awfull petrol smell . Also what is the function of the canister ?

Guest S T  E Y E

the carbon canister purges the fuel tanks breathing back into the engine to re use it (recirculated if u like)...its a round tube thing with a few vac hoses and a fuel hose going into it (the breather hose that is)...maybe the breather hose has come off and has a leak giving u that smell...or could be removed all together..its by the drivers headligt and if u have abs its by that....on ur model i beleave u have a hose from the Throttle body to the canister which is where it purges into and a line from the fuel hoses over by the fuel filter...newer models have a controler with a vac hose on it to controll wen to purge it....

people say u get gains from removing it but i think its just a mith...ive had cars without them and u can smell the gas wereas my wrx i have now still has it and i find it nicer....each to their own opinion tho ...maybe itl give u 1kw if ur lucky hahaha...

and yea 400-500 km on a tank is about right depending how heavy ur foot is ;D

Its put there by Subaru to comply with emission laws overseas (not here from what I understand). Basically filters the air venting out of the fuel tank to reduce fuel vapours being let out into the atmosphere. Often people remove it to free up more space and its kinda regarded as unnecessary. No performance increase, just looks and practicality, although as a result sometimes you'll notice a strong smell of fuel when you first start your car in the morning after it's been sitting for a while or on a hot day.

Circled in red:

charcoalcanister.jpg

in my 96 wrx sti v2 i get about 420km to 50L of bp98 gas and thats round town driving from home to work etc.. and with a heavy foot every now and then. if i gave it heaps every where it'll do 390k to 50L. but ive got a new block thats only done 20,000km so far the rest of engine has done 124,000km.

Ryan said:

Its put there by Subaru to comply with emission laws overseas (not here from what I understand). Basically filters the air venting out of the fuel tank to reduce fuel vapours being let out into the atmosphere. Often people remove it to free up more space and its kinda regarded as unnecessary. No performance increase, just looks and practicality, although as a result sometimes you'll notice a strong smell of fuel when you first start your car in the morning after it's been sitting for a while or on a hot day.

Circled in red:

charcoalcanister.jpg

is that manifold been painted without removal? I see overspray haha

thanks for the pic that helped heaps !

unfortunately i still have mine connected so no idea why it has such a strong fuel smell . hopefully i can get it sorted/looked at on wednesday when i take it up to warkworth for a dyno/checkup .

gorak said:

thanks for the pic that helped heaps !

unfortunately i still have mine connected so no idea why it has such a strong fuel smell . hopefully i can get it sorted/looked at on wednesday when i take it up to warkworth for a dyno/checkup .

Yeah Kent should be able to tell you what's what he's clued up on Subies. I'm next door here in Wellsford.

yeah Kent comes really highly recommended from a lot of people so i am really positive that the old lady will be 100% come wednesday evening ;D

at least my mind is at ease now about the actual fuel consumption as it seems pretty normal .

my stock 95sti with a 45L tank gets around 350km to a tank of heavy driving around town an up the summit road in CHCH. probably push 400 if I nana it but theres no fun in that?

BUT

When I went to picton last new years I got just under 600km from the tank an that included alot of crazy fast passing lanes an a fair bit of hilly driving towards the picton area

I think I did just under 500km an had 1/4 tank left, which got me another 70kms farting around the sounds (very stop start sharp corners an up an down hills)

so really could probably get 600 easy if it was nice simple driving no boosting an stuff?

SOMEONE should start a who has the most kms per tank thread?

wtf... 95sti with 45 litre tank ... does that mean my 96 wrx has 45L too ? as that would explain a lot !!! from what i saw on google it says 60l tank . (but my tank was empty and only took 45 l - logic dictates that it *MIGHT* be a 45l tank ;) )

and yeah still being a new first time subaru owner i cannot drive it without boosting a bit ;D

i was actually surprised how easy and civilised it is when driving normally thou .