Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

SOOPERCOOLER Data available

soopersubaru

soopersubaru']

[quote name='D-Style said:

Well you need to do your research then....

Just for pointers, Your cool your water with a radiator? and you cant think of anything else to cool it with?????

Here is 2x other methods which can be used:

url=http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=32030]http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=32030[/url]

http://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/cryo2-system-components/cryo2-fuel-chilling-system

Ive used a a clone of both these methods on my old car.

2mins surfing the net to find these...

Also these methods have been done by a few memebers on this site already, using just a Esky(chilly bin) coil of tube, hose, and re-wiring the I/C water pump to run full time on a Factory RS legacy Water to Air IC unit.

Think ya might have ya wires crossed mate.

This is an intercooler system for cooling the air, I Already have the fuel rails nice an chilled.But thanks anyway.

As for a Chilly bin idea for cooling the circ water....Yes a good one for your Hillclimber or short sprinter,hardly practical for a road car A?

Ya ice would melt before ya get to hamilton, bet ya carry more than 5kg of it too.

Brine ice works excellent on a hillclimber!

And the soopercooler will work even better using this! (hillclimb/short sprint stuff using this idea)

No wires crossed here.

I linked you some different methods to cool a liquid. Just because those units I linked state they are used for fuel, doesnt mean you cant use them or a likewise system to cool other liquids.

There are been a few topics on Water-Air I/C on this forum. Use a search and you might find some more info.

Even use google... theres lots of water-air I/C setups which you could look at and get ideas.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BLAZD said:

yeah STM even can make them cheaper, and Bams a really good fabricator

they also use the very same products on there cars

pwr_barrell_02.jpg

thats on there site, NZs very own docile

Definitely a nice cooler they do a good job too!

Can one be fitted to a sub?(not to fit well!) THIS IS A MITSI or some thin! (def a track car that could do better breathing cool air from outside the bonnet area to start with....Looks great though!)

Soopercooler is SUBARU only and will look just as good...What finish/colour would you like?

Only polish finish is available for these these excellent tube style coolers!

Soopercooler will match these units easily!

Now if one could put up a graph of these coolers with the same trial as ours one would see this for themselves.

Thanks for your interest.

soopersubaru']

[quote name='BLAZD said:

img]http://www.tweakit.net/shop/images/pwr_barrell_02.jpg[/img]

Can one be fitted to a sub?(not to fit well!) THIS IS A MITSI or some thin! (def a track car that could do better breathing cool air from outside the bonnet area to start with....Looks great though!)

That Evo 3 held the record as the World’s fastest EVO for several years. With over 1200HP I think they might know where they should put their pod filter, It was on methanol so that probably has alot to do with it.

Great, some real data! Contrary to what you may think I am actually genuinely interested in how well the WAIC setups work.

So if we look at the longest on boost segment, 460 - 500seconds, IAT goes from about 30C to 60C in 40seconds.

Comparably, the FMIC setup goes from 30C to 45C after 8 minutes

NB, your ECT is getting worryingly high after that on boost period, could the intercooler radiator be blocking flow to the coolant radiator?

More analysis on the cool down time needed I think, i'll have a dig through my datalogs to find some comparable data

test3.png

temps.jpg

soopersubaru']

[quote name='BLAZD said:

img]http://www.tweakit.net/shop/images/pwr_barrell_02.jpg[/img]

Soopercooler is SUBARU only and will look just as good...What finish/colour would you like?

Only polish finish is available for these these excellent tube style coolers!

Soopercooler will match these units easily!

Now if one could put up a graph of these coolers with the same trial as ours one would see this for themselves.

Thanks for your interest.

I believe you will find that they out perform yours...

Not only in intake temps at WOT but also the actual car temps (i.e. the oil & coolant)...

On top of that they can literlaly be fitted to anything (from Nissan to Pajero's, to evo's and yes have seen a Subaru with one)

Optical said:

Great, some real data! Contrary to what you may think I am actually genuinely interested in how well the WAIC setups work.

So if we look at the longest on boost segment, 460 - 500seconds, IAT goes from about 30C to 60C in 40seconds.

Comparably, the FMIC setup goes from 30C to 45C after 8 minutes

NB, your ECT is getting worryingly high after that on boost period, could the intercooler radiator be blocking flow to the coolant radiator?

More analysis on the cool down time needed I think, i'll have a dig through my datalogs to find some comparable data

test3.png

temps.jpg

Thanks for your reply!

Think we got off to a bad start/finish last time we discussed this.Thanks for pointing out the G4 chart stuff,I had no idea you could do this, previous trials were done with thermocouples attached to points we wanted to monitor!

Can see what you are saying about the ECT...However i am not overly concerned as this test was to take the soopercooler to the point of thermal overload.(temp gauge moved just above halfway)

i.e. A test that anyone can do without hooning around a specific track.Then info can be directly compared.

Your car is movin prob 200 kph+ at the highest boost this will keep the temp under control and as well as throttle off time with i assume a "hotside" blow off valve, as this wiill also aid intercooling.

Track cars swear by the FMIC,with good reason, they work well at high speeds./Nice an light too.

After 8 min your intercooler is still heating up as slowly it fails to shed the heat...Prob settle after a few more laps ...but hey who cares after that A? The Bar an plate HX does well.

Just throttle response and lag to consider/ this is easy for the good driver to master on the track.

Soopercooler works well for my high powered road car...

That peak temp cannot be achieved when the car speed is matched with the throttle and not held under brakes deliberately to cause thermal overloading of the soopercooler.

Would like to see the same test carried out on one of those tube coolers!

FYI

Our previous tests using thermocouples on the Original subaru WAIC caused thermal overload(60C @24C ambient) at 20sec,(100 Kph held under brakes). or two laps at puke under race conditions (2min 40 sec).And we were only running 20psi/198 Kw at that time,

Hence the need to create the soopercooler.

My data shown was recorded at hampton downs, not a very fast track - ive attached a graph of the speed data. You can see it's pretty comparable to road speeds at mostly 50 to 120kph. There is no obvious climb in temps during those low speed sections.

I would expect the WAIC setup to act similarly though as the WAIC radiator will function better at high speeds just as a FMIC would. I think the speed is largely negligible here.

Also the intercooler isnt failing to shed the heat, it never goes above 46C the entire time, what you're seeing is the temperature hysteresis reducing (40C at the start 43C at the end) making it look like the temps are climbing.

I still have concerns at the rate of temperature climb of your setup when on boost, the factory tmic must be shockingly bad. A larger IC/ more water/ higher water pump speed/ larger radiator may help your setup. You can see in your graph the IAT temp takes over 3 minutes to drop 45C to 30C after one quick bit of boost... heatsoaked system? I'll reserve my opinion until more data is available

Also grab the latest G4 firmware and software, much better datalog analysis tools are provided but be sure to check the upgrade info as a few settings need to be checked

http://www.linkecu.com/support/downloads/pclink-download

speeds.jpg

D-Style said:

If you do choose to do more tests,try not to use thermocouples. TC's have to be setup right. RTD's would be better to use. Also get some ambient temps of the engine bay. This will help in seeing Heat soak issues.

Prob cover opticals reply here too.

We do have heatsoak issues with increase/temp control/return too lower temp. Under bonnet temp not really an issue anymore.Not sure how much change we had when the soopercooler was fitted but it was noticable! without measuring it.

A larger custom built 5 core front rad and another litre of circ water will sort out the peaking issues.

We are happy with the performance of the soopercooler.

That extreme trial we carried out is a fantastic way to see whats going on in a short time period.

Any intercooler system can be induced to overload in this way. We figure the longer it takes to achieve this overload the better the cooling.

The original Subaru WAIC never gave any issues when fitted to the car and driven on the road for over 15000 km,Amazing really!

The air flow was found to be restricted and the thermal overload occurred after a punishing track day.(soopersubaru on you tube)

This led to the soopercooler. plus a retune and 20% more power.

Upload newer G4 software.....mmmmm

Computers an me don't go well together esp software upgrades,But i know what you are sayin...Might talk to my tuner again first about that one.(he did say to be careful and upload the one i did)

Would not want to risk screwin up the tune or my motor!!

When i spend another $600 or so on the front rad the system will improve the heat loss side of the graph and increase the time taken for overload to occur at 100kph.

Have no complaints on its road performance.

Thermocouples versus PT100 three wire/RTD? Bead thermocouples carefully placed do what we need,The g4 uses a K type no prob,or it might be a J type.

Quick enough response to see what is going on.

• 7 months later...

UPDATE.

Recent run at puke track with spray system fitted to car. 17Deg C ambient day.Laptop not available.

Did 8 laps prior to achieving 60 degrees IAT without water spray on.Close to 20km of hard driving 1min 18sec laps on average.

With water spray system working (activates on at 20psi) unable to raise IAT above 55Deg C

System recovery to 34 Deg C in less than 1 lap (normal road driving) on both tests ( i.e. 1.0Km to 1.5Km.

Looking forward to any enquires

Will discuss fitting at cost price so as to launch this system.

PM us if at all interested....Thanks

i believe the fab work on the so called fastest in the WORLD wasnt done by bam jono@performance metal works takes that honour, the car was well before bams time, and for the record there was no certificate given for the record most records these days are internet here say.

the cooler was a PWR to which isnt needed on alky feed setup

D-Style said:

Looking abit more tidy.

What temps are your cooling water running at?

Have not monitored the circ water as we consider the IAT to be the important factor.

Would say that the water leaving the soopercooler would be approx 20 C less than the IAT.As this is a common heat loss transfer number.

We are happy with the performance. ............Thanks for your comment.

• 4 weeks later...

That frozen boost unit would be an awkward fit for our subarus.

I have to agree with all that they say regarding WAIC.

My unit as you know uses an old air to air unit,However baffling has been created within the unit to ensure flow from cold to hot side thereby utilising the heat extraction properties of the water to the max.

Damn good price for a system though!!

PWR also make WAIC units that are subaru specific. However at $1850 +GST its not viable,That is without the pump and front radiator too!

Certainly an interesting read and a top idea enhanced!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...