Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

New WRX (non-STi)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had an '05 Golf GTi for about six months last year, badly needed an LSD. And I found the DSG to be way too polarised in its action. It was either full noise or Nana. My overall opinion - great build quality, surprisingly quick, frustrating as all hell to drive. Sold it and bought a GC8 =P

My opinion is based on the fact that I am biased towards Subarus. New WRX has close to the same output as an STi one generation ago (on paper). You just don't get the expensive engine internals, hard springs, big brakes, and pink bits. Practical everyday medium car you can live with, and has lots of go. The best thing about the new WRX? You can get a sedan! Finally! Get it, get it, get it

yip. but like any car you buy you lose money. My V9 sti i got it for 32K and not even a year later i couldnt get 23K for it. I dont really care much about money value at end of day. The car is cheap enough brand new and im in a position to buy a new car.

Simon C said:

Explain what you want in a car and what you want to do with it, and we'll be able to offer an opinion.

I would personally skip the V11 WRX, and go get a Renault Megane R26, a Ford Focus XR5, or a Golf GTi.

EXCELLENT suggestions.

;)

Personal pick... R26, one of the fastest point-to-point cars around, quicker and more confidence inspiring than a v11 STI, let alone the feeble WRX.

Second choice, Golf GTI, nice to drive and well built but not as exciting as the Megane, heaps around and will only get cheaper with the Mk6 about to arrive this year.

Focus XR5 is fun and sounds great but it's heavy and not at all quick.

If you have to get a WRX go for one of the revised MY09 models.

Much improved over the early WRX and JDM S-GT.

Test drove the new shape WRX when looking at buying a new car last year... didn't like it one bit. Felt like i was driving a rental car (i.e. nice clean interior with no exciting features and no real get-up and go). It may have the same "output" on paper as the v10 STI (although i'm only taking GC8E2DD's word for it), but i've driven both and can tell you they feel nothing like one another! Not even close!

Obviously best idea is to see what you think after the test drive...

as an everyday car the wrx is really good.. and not that far behind in performance. guess u have to weigh up how much of wat type or driving u will be doing..

plus the wrx has the nice rumble which the sti lost regretfully

I can have a full spec (leather and sunroof) for 37K aus$ drive away. the STi is only about 65K over here. Plus nearly all euros have a "luxury Tax" on them. so they are more expensive to rego and that.

Also the main point is i want a new car, or under 10'000kms.

But then again, the gf will be driving it mostly so she might change her mind at last minute and want somthing like a mini convertable or the like...

Forget the Mini convertible, Mini Cooper S FTW

;)

DMSREX said:

I think the WRX will have better build quality than any Renualt maybe the Focus too for that matter.

You're wrong.

I've been in all three cars (v11 STI instead of WRX).

The Focus has the best designed and built interior with good quality materials where it matters, ie. tactile surfaces.

This is an area where Ford is second to only VW amongst mass manufacturers.

Next is the Renault with good design but a more plasticky interior than the Focus.

Last is the WRX with a poorly designed and executed interior of simply appalling materials.

Of the three it was only the Subaru that had squeaks and rattles.

So everything suggested thus far is either slower, more expensive, less practical or second hand. Bought the WRX yet? Oh, and don't worry too much about build quality - our Golf GTi had a rattle after only 17,000 kms. I guess it depends what kind of a day the robot was having huh ;]

Guest loren

Well he did asked a large group of people for their opinion, and not specify that everyone should encourage him to buy a new WRX ;)

Although I guess he did just asked for opions on a new WRX, not for a list of alternatives...

I say get an EVO X... one of those 400HP ones they had on top gear.

The achilles heel of the Mini Cooper S is that it has a joke of a boot. It has about the same capacity as a large shoebox. Although I was otherwise very impressed with it, handled extremely well with the traction control off, reasonably peppy although obviously the WRX or any of the alternatives mentioned thus far will outrun it easily.

I move the motion that posting recommendations in this thread be made only be people who have actually DRIVEN the cars they are recommending (or not, as the case may be).

Guest DMSREX
 newsuba']

Forget the Mini convertible, Mini Cooper S FTW

;)

[quote name='DMSREX said:

I think the WRX will have better build quality than any Renualt maybe the Focus too for that matter.

/quote]

You're wrong.

I've been in all three cars (v11 STI instead of WRX).

The Focus has the best designed and built interior with good quality materials where it matters, ie. tactile surfaces.

This is an area where Ford is second to only VW amongst mass manufacturers.

Next is the Renault with good design but a more plasticky interior than the Focus.

Last is the WRX with a poorly designed and executed interior of simply appalling materials.

Of the three it was only the Subaru that had squeaks and rattles.

No i think you're wrong...... ::) try living day to day with a Renualt thats more than 12 months old and you'll see what i mean. They are crap in terms of staying together without problems. Having "been in one" is entirely different to having owned and driven one day to day. Not to say that they don't drive well they just don't stay together all that well. :)

GC8E2DD said:

Last year it was 160 something kilowatts, this year it is 195. Don't take my word for it ...

http://www.subaru.co.nz/New_Vehicles/Impreza/WRX/specifications.php

That may be the case, but unfortunately just because that's what it says on paper, doesn't mean that they're then on par with each other in the real world. Completely different cars, and i personally would never bother forking out for the WRX, i was completely uninspired by it

Simon C']

The achilles heel of the Mini Cooper S is that it has a joke of a boot. It has about the same capacity as a large shoebox. Although I was otherwise very impressed with it, handled extremely well with the traction control off, reasonably peppy although obviously the WRX or any of the alternatives mentioned thus far will outrun it easily.

True but no one buys a Mini for practicality, it's all about STYLE.

;)

I move the motion that posting recommendations in this thread be made only be people who have actually DRIVEN the cars they are recommending (or not, as the case may be).

SECONDED !

Naturally, cars I recommend are those that I've had butt-dyno time in.

:D

[quote name='DMSREX said:

No i think you're wrong...... ::) try living day to day with a Renualt thats more than 12 months old and you'll see what i mean.

Done that haha.

2002 Clio 1.4, ex-demo, about 100,000km.

Signs of wear and tear and one or two rattles but nothing ever stopped working, broke or fell off.

:P

A nice little town car.