Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2003-2009 legacy H6 3.0R Do they drink oil? Real world experience please....

DavidKemps

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a 2003-2009 legacy either the 2.0 turbo B-spec or H6 3.0r.

Was really interested in the H6 3.0R and heard really good things about it until I heard problems with them drinking heaps of oil!!

Does anyone have one that can comment or mechanics about how bad this problem is? Is it rare or affect alot of the cars?

If you have a H6 3.0r and it doesn't drink oil, I'd also be keen to hear from you!

thanks

Dave

DavidKemps said:

See this thread:

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,8884.0.html

Boostin and Ichi Ban talking about how much oil the H6 3.0R's use.

Gutted, I really wanted a 3.0R too! Have to risk the 2.0 litre turbo and hope the single turbo version is better than the RSK-B4 dodgy twin turbos Big end bearing problems!!

Dave

Are you planning on converting a legacy to single? or getting a wrx? cause legacy's are never single turbo from factory

and all subaru's run BEB's if they aren't looked after, its not a problem specific to twin turbos as far as i know

Rear main seal failed, O2 sensor, Bung ICV. While they were doing the seal I forked out for cambelt and water pump.

The engine hasn't blown up or anything, it just turns out that replacing that seal is quite an expensive task.

Hmm I guess it is quite tough to pick without testing the car first heh. If I was buying again I would pick up a manual GTB. I've modded my 3.0 as much as I can and I wan't to go further :)

funkytown']

And the newer motors are much less susceptible to beb as the older

I have 3 bp legacy engines sitting on my bench which beg to differ. In the next few years they will be as common as the early ones.

[quote name='GorGasmSpecB said:

Rear main seal failed, O2 sensor, Bung ICV. While they were doing the seal I forked out for cambelt and water pump.

The engine hasn't blown up or anything, it just turns out that replacing that seal is quite an expensive task.

Hmm I guess it is quite tough to pick without testing the car first heh. If I was buying again I would pick up a manual GTB. I've modded my 3.0 as much as I can and I wan't to go further :)

Umm an o4 gt assuming its a BP doesnt have an ICV valve, they are drive by wire and use the throttle blade for idle control.

dacerx said:

yeah that by wire stuff is a bitch im trying to get my H6 motor just to work by cable but now the car maybe too damaged from the quake to go further, would keep an eye out there mite be some good stuff up for sale soon

Thats sucks, all our cars have been fine apart from one falling off the jack stands. Why did you go to cable over dbw? Dbw is great for antilag and rev match on downshift, ill be doing dbw on my next car.

dacerx said:

so u have all the gear to run that crap? i would have to get the older version of the extreme to do it and then get a new pedal box, u have to remember that im doing all this to a 22 year old car its not exactly easy

The older version of the extreme would be ideal or you can just get a dbw driver to run it on the new one. Then find a foot pedal from a bp legacy for cheap because they never break and are simple to install. If you saw the LINK chevett at 4'sn rotors he's running that setup with a GM 90mm tb that cost about 50$ from ebay.

GorGasmSpecB said:

Umm an o4 gt assuming its a BP doesnt have an ICV valve, they are drive by wire and use the throttle blade for idle control.

Hmm not sure on the exact name of the valve. It was running lumpy as hell at idle. Valve was replaced and it was sweet after that.

My 3.0 has adjustables, sway bars, intake, exhaust. Really all I can do without spending stupid amounts of money is get a retune.