Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Wrx engine upgrades for 1500?

wrxboy

wrxboy said:

its a 1997 jdm wrx

Same as mine - came with VF22, Yellow 440cc injectors, 1S ECU, Orange AFM..

I'm running a 2.5" exhaust from the manifold, custom downpipe, aftermarket extractors, 3" ducting through the inner guard to a Trust AirNX mushroom pod filter, custom FMIC and piping, 38mm Tial external wastegate and 6S ECU - engine wise..

I'd suggest looking at intake - aftermarket intake pipe from the manifold, with either a pod filter in a CAB or an aftermarket panel filter. Maybe even run a 3" ducting through the inner guard - a good way to get extra air straight to the filter..

If you've got the standard WRX TMIC, thought about looking into a V3/V4 STI TMIC upgrade? Apparently the STI Y pipe (with red silicon adaptor) is a really effective, cheap upgrade.. Either that or a FMIC :D

Could upgrade to the 6S ECU and fit a EBC too? The 1S and 6S ECU are good for 18-20psi, although not sure if this is advisable on the factory WRX internals..

Let me know how ya get on, interested to find out how you go!

Timmah said:

On a side note, is a 1s ECU easier on an engine than a 6s?

I'd be keen to find out more about this.. Still got the 1S in a box under the house.

1s just rev harder and longer i've been looking for one for my wrx but people want insane prices in some cases a link is cheaper but more expensive to install.

the 1s are normally only found in RA's but i could be wrong.

wanting one for my ver5 being a nz new it came with yellows and a 90mm afm so i just put a zero sports intake in and vf22 with a adjustable boost controller 11psi low and 16psi high

spend the money on decent set of tires or some suspension upgrades replace all the steering arms sway bars etc

Link

Fmic

Tune

That's the best thng u can do as u already have the other bits done

Make a cold air intake for the car while u at it

Keep eyes peeled for link or similar tunable ecu as sometimes the come up for cheap

Same for fmic kit

And on e tuned up with that combo and the vf22 u should see some very decent pull

An alternate version Wud be

Fmic

Electronic boost controller

External correctly setup

Run 16-17 psi and get easy 200-210 and should keep engine happy as well since that's within the injectors and ecu capacity

In fact another member from here made an easy 200kww with 16 psi on his vf23

Either of these 2 routes will keep u smiling lots and take current setup to near max but not over the top too much

Yeah man get a 6s ecu. 1s is crap . . . Best thing you can get is a over sized silicone intake like what I run . . Makes sooo much difference . . Twisted in my opinion isnt going to do much power wise if any . . I would suggest get a ebc definitely . . Makes a huge difference . . . Also cold air duct as said above with cold air box preferably . . . And also get a walbro pump to keep those air fuel ratios in check . . Also get a good set of 7 heat range plugs especially since your higher compression than a sti . . . And a new fuel filter lol last thing you want is to be running lean . . Hopefully you can get that for your money and you will love the difference . . Ive done these things plus more to my ver 3 and the result is pure awesome . . . Oh yeah and get a sti y pipe like said above . . When you compare the wrx y pipe to the sti one you will see what I mean . . Or if budget allows get a front mount . . .

GMEAGO - how is your inter cooler and or piping custom ? Looked like off the shelf to me bro

QRAF said:

have i got the 1s and the 6s ecu mixed up as i have a 6s ecu at the mo no speed cut goes up to 260 i just thought the 1s were out of the sti's

The 6s was the Sti one and Te 1s was jdm

Both run yellows and orange afm and both had 206kw tune

The 6s had a different map as slightly different cams on Sti

Hence the 1s had slightly less torque but u know fairly close tho

Isint ur one a v5 which won't run either of them as different plugs and afm

i wouldnt bother with the twisted setup.get your self a link and a full exhaust front mount intercooler apexi poddy silicone intake pipe and may a ebc.that will give you plenty of power.twisting the turbo will cost you abit of money and you wont really benifit from it,the only reason people twist turbos is cause the turbo there using is etha to big and cant fit into the factory mount,a link ecu will always be the best bang for your buck.

QRAF said:

Not 100% sure now ;) is there any upgrade for me?

Best to check what sorta afm u got

Is it a black one that inserts in be pipe?

That's v5-6

If it's a big square type one with a plug on the side then it's 3-4

Ur model code will also tell what u got but I think the afm test will be quicker

mines a 90mm ver5 one i got a sti one in there at the mo because my factory one that had done 219,000kms was making my car surge it connects to the 90mm zerosports air intake pipe got the yellows and the vf22 with a hks evc

is there any difference between the sti's for the ver5/6 ecu's