Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BP GT vs GT B Spec

webup

Manual BP GT Spec B (official name) are harder to find now. Less available in Japan.

Extra 20Hp and better fuel economy than the Auto but that's if you can be bothered changing gear around the city.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

webup said:

I want to change the front grille away from the naff standard one too.

Yeah i hear you there, I want to do the same but seems hard to do for much under $300, If you find a deal on them let me know, might even be cheaper for two?

calibre']

[quote name='webup said:

I want to change the front grille away from the naff standard one too.

/quote]

Yeah i hear you there, I want to do the same but seems hard to do for much under $300, If you find a deal on them let me know, might even be cheaper for two?

Sure will.

Some models have a kind of mesh grille and looks really good.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSevEOHP15eYtb0FCBTpqe

The older BPs have that silver bar with the badge in the middle and they look common as all the models have this.

n501624917_1070456_3392.jpg

For anyones info after doing alot of auction watching in Japan over the last month these are really not much cheaper over there compared to trademe here.

Also alot of the car yards here are well known to purposely target lower grade cars in auction then try and dress them up a little once theyre here.

Bigger margins if you can pull it off.

Here is an example

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/legacy/auction-360372064.htm

This GT Spec B is 15995 private sale. Its done only 96000kms. Appears to be a pretty tidy car. Front tints already done. Alarm already done. Cambelt service done.

Recent Japan Auctions:

2003 LEGACY 2.0GT SPEC.B BP5 2000 F5 101000kms pearl -white GRADE 4 290,000 YEN 840,000 = $17,500 on the road in NZ

2003 LEGACY 2.0GT SPEC.B BP5 2000 F5 57000kms silver GRADE 4.5 180,000 YEN 1,188,000 = $23,500 on the road in NZ

On top of these fresh imports you may need four new tyres, youll need an alarm installed ($300+) etc.

Point is if you can find a decent GT B here its actually a pretty good deal.

Just watch for car dealers selling rougher examples that have been touched up.

Ask them if they still have the auction house grading report. If they are quick to stop talking about it then you can bet it was a dirty old 3.5 grade or an R.

An idea of my BP

This is an 05, came into the country with 120k's, has full leather, mcintosh premium audio and manual. Quite a rare find i think, especially in black. Also has the blitzen grill in the front. I paid 16k for this about 3 months ago.

DSC04938.jpg

Looks nice!

How do you find the black colour?

I'm not sure if that's my fav or the grey or even the dark blue.

• 2 weeks later...
 DGM said:

I agree with the B Spec having a harder ride. I just bought a BL5 03 Spec B and it is very firm on the road. the look and performance far outweigh harsh ride for me though.

I picked mine up for 11k at buy right cars. tidy example and well serviced with 140k on the clock.

Are you the first NZ owner?

I can almost guarantee you it will be an accident repaired car if they sold it to you for 11k.

Ask them for a copy of the Japanese grading report they would have when they bought it at auction.

If they show you (which I doubt they will) it will have plenty of XX marks on the diagram and also the grade will be R.

DGM said:

I did that. There was not previous accident damage and was imported as a grade 4 :)

:o

Thats good then. they would be making a loss almost at that price. BLs are generally cheaper than BPs though too.

anyway nice car enjoy it!

RangeRoverSport said:

Looks nice!

How do you find the black colour?

I'm not sure if that's my fav or the grey or even the dark blue.

With the grille they are a straight swaps aren't they? Same with the 2007 model tail lights?

Black is very sexy when clean. Trying to keep it clean is another thing. For example, when heading back to the hawkes bay on saturday, i went through a shower of rain for about 5 mins, pull up and BP in fielding and the car is filthy again just from the wet road.

I assume the grille is a straight swap as it was in the car already when I got it.

Cheapest is about $500 if you get one from Sydney from Phat.

They differ between A-C models and then D-F so make sure you order right one.

If you try and order one from Japan it will end up costing you $800+ by the time you pay for shipping.

Alternatively you can make your own with a dremel and some gutter mesh from Bunnings and they come up pretty good.

The new Subaru Legacy GT Spec B is powered by a 276-hp single twin-scroll turbocharged and intercooled 2.0-liter flat-four. No, it's not yet sold in America, but we hear it will be in 2005.

The GT Spec B receives a more aggressive front bumper than the standard Legacy and significant aerocladding underneath. Inside, a driver-oriented cockpit features a small, sporty airbag-equipped three-spoke MOMO steering wheel similar to the new WRX STi. Both 4AT and 5AT sport models are blessed with tiptronic-style upshift/downshift buttons on the steering wheel.

Inside, the tachometer and speedometer are equally emphasized, clear and informative with a subdued classy style. Seating is top-notch, managing to coddle you on long trips while giving you a measure of control while canyon carving. Hurtling the car around Fuji International, however, reveals the car exhibits higher limits than the side bolstering.

Handling is far more neutral than most Subaru's of late. A quick 15:1 steering ratio matches up well with the smaller three-spoke steering wheel, a combination that enables quick reflexes. When you enter the corner at speed, there's a tiny bit of initial resistence that transforms into eye-opening amounts of turn-in through to apex. There's even some throttle-on oversteer on tap if you keep on the gas, allowing you to steer through the apex with all four tires howling as you power-drift on through.

The front MacPherson strut suspension is nearly identical to the Spec C STi, with significant strengthening around the wheelwell and the same forged-aluminum lower-arm, and even more caster than the Spec C STi. The rear continues with the multi-link, but this is a brand-new version that features a hefty forged one-piece aluminum trailing arm and hub carrier for vastly improved resistance to changes in toe. The upper link is also forged aluminum, and suspension hard points have been totally revamped.

The suspension is helped by 18-inch wheels and Bridgestone RE050A rubber - of Ferrari Enzo fame - with the rubber compound tuned for the Legacy. Although the Legacy's 2.0-liter bears a strong resemblance to the 2.5-liter STi motor on paper, it's in fact the motor STi appropriated for the WRX STi 8 (not sold in America). And it makes the same amount of horsepower as that car, but not quite the same amount of torque -250 lb-ft vs. 285 lb-ft.

Initially, the Subaru higher-ups had doubts that a single turbo setup could offer the low-end torque of the sequential twin-turbo setup used in top-line Legacys since 1993. But Kazuharu Ichikawa, a manager in the Engine Design Department, felt it could, and then proved it with the development of a twin-scroll EJ20 2.0-liter for the Legacy. Quick spool up was further enhanced by a new, specially designed 4-2 exhaust manifold.

To reduce weight, plastics make up the unique intake manifold and the intercooler end-tanks. The intercooler is a high-flow unit, smaller and angled for maximum efficiency with the hood scoop. Manual transmission models weigh 22 lbs less than a WRX STi, though the Spec B variant weighs 22 lbs more thanks to the heavier wheels, tires and brakes.

Throttle response is amazing thanks to the high-response turbo system and a dual-mass flywheel. Extra-strength engine and transmission mounts help get the power to the wheels.

The braking system has also been whacked with a very big performance stick. Similar to the STi is the ABS with EBD to keep things straight, and also similar to the STi on the Spec C is the huge ventilated brake rotors in the front. Along with that is a much larger and far more rigid 2-pot sliding caliper clamping down some rather large brake pads. Rear ventilated disk/one-pot sliding caliper finish off the job in the rear. All that translated into intense, fade-free stops even after several laps around the track.

Fundamental changes is an apt phrase for this car. Subaru made the decision to abandon the old and come out with something new from the ground up. This is a very important car for Subaru, literally it's future here in Japan and overseas. They went for a big roll of the dice here. We'd say they won this dice roll, and won it in a big way.

Read more: http://www.modified.com/roadtests/0306scc_subaru_legacy_gt_spec_b/index.html#ixzz1NXGmIFzK

• 2 months later...
 webup said:

Yes Im going to import it myself from Japan.

The guy im using will inspect the cars over there.

Sorry to bring up an old post/thread, but can I ask who or what company you used to import? I'm thinking of doing the same so would be good to get advice from someone who has done it. So far I've looked at www.carwebs.co.nz and another called import2order.

I think there is less difference between the JDM GT and GT spec B. At least from the 03-05.

I have a 04 bp5a GT and it has bilstein shocks, the extra body kit trim, mcintosh audio and HID's. It didn't have the 18" rims. There seems to be no real difference in tune that I can find out. It has far more go than my bg5 gtb ever had down low. Doesn't seem to have much more up top... feels about the same or maybe I just don't realise it because its so quiet and the ride is miles better :)

I think you could effectively "option" a b-spec from the showroom new in Japan.

Oh... I didn't get the metal pedals.

I'm stoked I don't have to put up with the american market. They got the 2.5 block, a cat in the up pipe and a single scroll turbo... but they have some bonus'... better access to aftermarket parts.... they have a couple of choice tuning companies that do some real good value bits... cobb do an intake, downpipe and access port ecu "frig around with'er" thingy for a bout a grand US... which is good looking at our exchange rate these days... unfortunately the maps for the access port are for the 2.5 motor and the downpipe won't fit a JDM 2.0 GT because the turbo flange is different.

I'm keen to find out where you can get a downpipe for a JDM 2.0 GT... kind of looking for a bolt in example....

I only just got 400kms out of $120 of 98 fuel from BP

Mixture of open road driving and City 50/50

so that's about 13.5L/100km based on current pump prices. Seems heavy for mixed driving - that's more 100% city consumption. But then if you've been a total lead-foot then that sort of consumption is probably expected.

I get around 8.6L/100km all open road with car packed to the roof with kids and luggage. BP GT wagon, 2L turbo, 6 speed manual. Around 12L/100km in the city. Just normal driving, not hard on it. No reason why you shouldn't get similar.