Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

what engines would bolt up to a 89rs legacy?

SubLeggy

hey guys,

just a quick question: what engines would bolt up to a 89rs legacy? am looking at purchasing a 89rs but wanna swap the motor out of it for more reliability and power, have noticed quiet a few sti long blocks that are up for grabs.... would also be looking at a trbo upgrade and injectors.

cheers

subleggy

Old school Legacy motors are some of the most reliable... until you're a twat and freeboost them.

Then they start to look like this.

dsc00011dm.jpg

Seriously, not a hell of a lot to be gained by winding up the boost on an old grey-injector motor.

On a related note, if you're going to up the power with a new plant... for GOD'S SAKE do the brakes and suspension too :-X ie: do it once, do it right. If I see another munted, trashed and raped BC5 Legacy...imma go HULK SMASH.

On the other hand, if you've got every intention of putting a rebuilt/repowered motor in along with better brakes and refreshed suspension...hats off to you, kind sir ;D

But srsly...nothing wrong with the stock motor unless someone's popped it from serious neglect.

Look at my not-finished build though ;D Continuing on once I'm not a student any more, but have learned my lesson and am sticking to the WRX motor in Frankie :)

(And on that note, the WRX 20G motor and a TD04 are a good midway as they'll run on the old Legacy ECU and make a bit of power. Mine makes 135kW on GCP's dyno.)

yeah im not tryna blow it out of the water and have it thrashed to peices. just looking at having say 200-220kw relaiabilty for a daily driver and of course ill do it right first time as im not super rich. heres a list of whats been done to the car so far, cant get the pictures up cos the link wont work, but it was the bright yellow one on trademe:

Number plate: FEP615

Kilometres: 152,000km

Body: YELLOW, 4 door, Sedan

Fuel type: Petrol

Engine: 4 cylinder, 2000cc, Manual, 4WD

Registration expires: Jun 2011

WOF expires: Aug 2011

Stereo description: PANASONIC

Features: ABS brakes

Alloy wheels

Central locking

Power steering

Sunroof

Been a great reliable car

But want something different

1st photo has cutties in it, can come with car if wanted

Work done:

New cambelt

New cambelt bearings

New WOF

New REGO

New water pump

New radiator

New radiator hoses

New Munroe gas shocks

New dobinsons super low springs

New rebuilt steering rack

New Panasonic 222w cd player

New in-cabin boost tap and tee

New clutch fluid

New brake fluid

New coolant

New oil and filter

Also has:

40mm External wastegate

Anti-lag turbo

HKS turbo timer

HKS pod filter

18 inch DTM black with 2 inch chrome lip wheels

Near new tyres

2 stage exhaust pipe (2 into 3 inch) into 5 inch tip big bore

Bright suzuki swift yellow paint job

i know for one thing im gonna get rid of the wastegate and poddy! but let me know what you guys think, it is in auckland as well and for sale at $4,900

SubLeggy said:

hey guys,

just a quick question: what engines would bolt up to a 89rs legacy? am looking at purchasing a 89rs but wanna swap the motor out of it for more reliability and power, have noticed quiet a few sti long blocks that are up for grabs.... would also be looking at a trbo upgrade and injectors.

cheers

subleggy

You want to swap the engine because its stuffed?

More reliability - stick with standard engine/boost (using shales example 135kw)

More power - engine with better flowing heads (v3/4 sti)/more boost/chipped ecu/yellows (pass, maybe 160-170kw? still well under 200kw)

best of both - Fresh short block, V3/4 heads, Better turbo & IC, yellow injectors, walbro fuel pump, Link ecu (200kw+ easily achievable)

pl0x']

[quote name='SubLeggy said:

hey guys,

cheers

subleggy

/quote]

More reliability - stick with standard engine/boost (using shales example 135kw)

More power - engine with better flowing heads (v3/4 sti)/more boost/chipped ecu/yellows (pass, maybe 160-170kw? still well under 200kw)

best of both - Fresh short block, V3/4 heads, Better turbo & IC, yellow injectors, walbro fuel pump, Link ecu (200kw+ easily achievable)

engine probably wouldnt be stuffed at all hopefully, but i ran a v4 sti long block in my old rs with a standard turbo and that had 140kw which ran bloody well for me but jut wasnt quiet enough and i had plans for that engine but some dumbarse driver hit me and the car couldnt be repaired so had to get rid of it

pl0x']

[quote name='SubLeggy said:

hey guys,

cheers

subleggy

/quote]

I ran a standard as "unknown" Km's rs engine with a TD05 equal length headers(Leaking badly) and V2 top mount on greys. Running 15psi i got 146kw at the wheels with misbehaving valves..

Here it is when it hits 6,000rpm...

LOL..

http://www.youtube.com/user/aKiwiJoKeR#p/u/49/7S6FNpZmiXU