Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Help with my 1998 gt legacy!!!!!!!!!!

I just recently purchased this legacy its an upgrade from my bd5, I noticed driving it home that it had lack of power at 100k then all of a sudden it starts jolting, seems like it drops a cylinder then it will pick up as it clears and then it will continue to do it on the odd occasion, then sometimes it will drive perfect and will not miss a beat. Now we have noticed that when you take off at intersections it will do it now at any speed, sometimes at idle the revs will come right down then bounce back up. somebody told me to replace the air flow so we went and got one from strong for subaru we have just replaced it yesterday but still seems to be doing it, I have taken it to winger subaru gthey have told me there is nothing wrong with the vehicle just to check spark plugs, and they have cleared all the fault codes from the computer, so really pissing me off not to sure what the issue is can anybody help much appreciated thanks!!

Thanks for the advice hopefully somebody will be able to shed some light on my wee girl! Ill be doing the plugs tomorrow so i just want to know if anybody thinks that will eliminate my prob;em.

Whats the easiest way to check the coils, I know to look for obvious cracks but is there something else i should be looking for, I think maybe the right hand side coil is earthing out at certain times, but could that be due to just the spark plug not sparking ?

Well spark plugs have been changed, and found the faulty coil, and guess what it hasnt changed so dissapointed!!! What else could it be sooo frustrating ready to put new engine in now if this problem doesnt go away

Yeah we tried three afm on it, nothing really seems to help, will replace crank shaft sensor if that doesnt work then ecu is next :P

we had a wrx come into our work shop. was dropping a cylinder often. tryed everything electronic. end up being the shims in the exhaust and inlet cam on 1 side were mixed up. take the rocker cover off and get ya old feeler gauges out and turn the crank over and check your clearances between the shims and the cam. will post clearance specs tomorow

• 2 weeks later...
 wiseguy 05 said:

Hi there i have the same car with the same problems. You seem to have sorted yours now what is an o2 sensor?

Oxygen sensor

BH 5 will have two of them, so need to replace both if you need to replace one.

Generally they last for approx 80 000Km... make a world of difference on a few things including fuel use

For real? First I've heard of o2 sensors only lasting 80K. Interesting indeeeeeed.

Might be another explanation to my marginally less than utterly perfect performance these days (though i will wait till i've done my spark plugs and checked the leads before going further)(i wish i knew the answer to mechanical immortality)

Is there any way of testing if an o2 sensor is up to scratch?

ReubenH said:

Is there any way of testing if an o2 sensor is up to scratch?

yea man, vids on YT, plus if its never been done just get one, the CS member robertsm has them for around $150 (bosch universal)

dont forget to to reset ECU once its replaced :)

ReubenH']

For real? First I've heard of o2 sensors only lasting 80K. Interesting indeeeeeed.

????WHHAAAAAAAATTTTT??????

Dude ;)

[quote name='Bosch said:

Oxygen Sensors with 1 or 2 wires typically have a service life of 50,000kms. While 3 and 4 wire sensors have a service life of approximately 100,000kms

In reality they last 80 000Km if you are lucky as most owners dont have a lab to run their car in perfect/ideal conditions