Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Rwding my BH5 gtb using a bg5 gearbox. a few questions

Sean

hey guys,

finally made up my mind and gonna give the rwd conversion ago, just after some technical info n tips and tricks if anyone has any :)

my plan is to rwd a bg5 gearbox and use that, that way if i have to i can put in my old box to get awd back

a few questions before i start.

am i correct in assuming the bg5 box will bolt up to the engine but i will only use 4 bolts instead of 8?

is the clutch the same? and will i need to change drive shaft?

any advice appreciated :)

also will wrx or older legacy diffs fit? car has standard bh5 reva subframe

• General Member

aside from that

yep

yep

nope

diff's where? some are said to break easier than others especially with that much weight!

has fun

and I have not done it before but is general knowledge stuff

Sean said:

One more question, how realiable will it be, for normal driving with the occasional power slide etc.. motor is a stock twin turbo, standard clutch/diff etc..

Diff is VLSD

no standstills/burnouts/donuts with this type of rwd conversion because the front diff wont be spinning (moving oil around) or you can root bearings in your box.

No dropping/popping clutch (in the dry anyway) or you could be on for replacing axles/rear diffs

Keep engine off the limiter while spinning wheels and engine should be fine (as long as everything engine wise is ok etc)

Short answer: in theory it should be reliable enough with normal driving and the occasional slide

• 3 weeks later...

Gave up on RWD boxes, chewing threw to many gbox bearings, diffs etc got sick of changing them out and spinning up the wheels in 3rd gear but up to you really. You can use the older 4bolt rear housing on the 8bolt boxes providing its complete, but it can't be the earlier ones thou! has to be like 96 onwards i think ??? or when the rev gear pop out was addressed/fixed, instead of a flat plate on the end of 5th gear they use a metal thingy that pivots between the selector fork and stops rev gear popout. the housing on such a box will have a cutout inside the centre gearbox housing that the metal thingy locks into to stop the metal thingy from spinning around your gearbox will have this, also i recommend ripping it apart and unbolting the crown wheel on the front diff so you can fit the front axles and mr wof guy won't know its RWD.Hopefully that makes sense.

dacerx said:

I'm going to mr sensibly and say if u want a rear wheel drive car get a Nissan trade ur car for a stagea if u want a rwd wagon

+1 really really don't see the sense in RWD an AWD car, lots and lots of trouble for no gains

DRFVDR']

[quote name='dacerx said:

I'm going to mr sensibly and say if u want a rear wheel drive car get a Nissan trade ur car for a stagea if u want a rwd wagon

/quote]

+1 really really don't see the sense in RWD an AWD car, lots and lots of trouble for no gains

A member here did it a few years back to a BG...

Can't for the life of me remember his name but can picture his face

• 1 month later...