Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

something to debate over!

johnny5

johnny5']

[quote name='ADIKT said:

All my sounds are in my run around... I got nothing in the rex at all... Except the stock tweeters in the front doors and rear parcel tray lol

/quote]+1 yea nothing but stock sounds in the rex even the crap doubledin from kenwood that V7s come with but got my other car daisy bout to be ballin bg mazda familia autobot with 3 hubcaps lost one goin round the gorge rd

Lol i got a 1990 mazda capella 293thousand ks.. 4 speed auto haha. Pretty good nick for its age... Even tho the rear of the car sits higher than the front lol

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I had about $2.5k of Alpine gear in the car which most of it is now pulled out. CDA-9887 headunit, SPS-17S components, 2x 12" Type-R subs, E-Audio 1000D, 480AB, JVC 2-ch. About 15kg of wiring.

I am just running the 480AB for the fronts and sub. I've changed between 3 sets of speakers over the last few weeks: Alpine Type-R 6.5" components, Jaycar Response 6" Kevlar Splits, Pioneer 6.5" TS-D1702C components

I nearly always run flat EQ settings, no loudness and rely on the sub for the bass. When I had no subs in the car I would play with the EQ and loudness settings. It's interesting to hear the characteristics of different component speakers without changing anything else in the system. Occasionally I will cut the sub briefly to hear the response from the front's only.

The Pioneers give more mid-bass response, the tweeters are a bit on the harsh (bright) side for me, but I think I'm getting used to them. Rated at 60W RMS.

The Alpines give a more flat sound - less mid-bass, smoother sounding tweeters, there is about 6 steps of attenuation from 0 to -8dB. Rated at 110W RMS. These were nicely matched to the Alpine h/u and amp. It would have been nice to have the Imprint sound setup on these.

The Jaycar speakers weren't too bad, but the sound was somewhat distorted and not as refined at the upper volume range. Still not bad for $85 components. Rated at 50W RMS. A good cheap replacement for factory paper coned speakers, and being 6" fit the factory plastic spacers nicely.

I ran 80W RMS into all speakers from the same headunit.

In the past I've used cheaper amps: Fusion, Lightning Audio, Sony, Kenwood, Alpine, etc... and not really noticed the difference between amps. The difference between speakers/subs is a lot more noticeable.

In general: Subaru's are terrible for any decent sound setup, the doors are too thin, even when dynamated up and rattle too much. Any sub fed more than 250W RMS will cause rattling in the rear/boot - like the car is going to fall apart, although this wasn't really noticed as much in the Impreza Hatchbacks.

Has anyone played with an imprint module? I am only interested in SQ, and I'm thinking about getting an PXA H100 and KTX h100 units (with mic setup via PC) for my Alpine X305s Ipod H/U, anyone know whether the difference is worth the outlay?

The rest of the system in the wagon is fairly modest, with DD CS 6.5 components up front, Kenwood KAC 848 amp powering a 12" sealed boxed Kenwood sub in tyre well, standard rear fill speakers running of H/U.

The only thing that annoys me about the X305s is no real EQ adjustment for mids etc, needs the imprint for that. :-\

• Admin
 johnny5 said:

hahaha Shall we all flop it out see whos got the biggest? ;D ;D ;D

Okie dokie!

I have the only 2 Stetsom 10kd's in the country. They're factory modded by Stetsom, they do about 12800wrms each @ 12v @ 1 ohm and a shade over 20kw each when fed 18v.

Top that :P

boon']

[quote name='johnny5 said:

/quote]

Okie dokie!

I have the only 2 Stetsom 10kd's in the country. They're factory modded by Stetsom, they do about 12800wrms each @ 12v @ 1 ohm and a shade over 20kw each when fed 18v.

Jizz

boon']

/quote]

Okie dokie!

You win the biggest willy contest !

Now I remember why I hate ICE.

:P

I'm going to raise the ante here and say that every component in an audio system affects the sound. Source, amp, speakers, interconnect and speaker cables... they all make a difference and they can be night and day.

I was reminded of this recently when a good friend of mine was auditioning home hifi. He had one source, two sets of speakers, two amps and two sets of speaker cable. Changing one item at a time, we could both recognise a difference between them and could identify which one was which.

It seems to me to be all about finding a combination that works well together.

I'm sure the same applies in car audio but I'd argue that the installation is much more important in car audio as a car cabin is a terrible acoustic space to deal with!

newsuba said:

Car audio = trying to play a trombone in a phone booth*

;D

*American quote from some hi-fi mag I can't remember the title of.

Hehehe, yeah. Something like that!

• Admin

I've heard some cars that sounded fantastic when they were parked up with the engine off.

But as soon as you add in road noise and a good dollop of boxer burble your $2000 DLS Ultimate tweeters sound much the same as some $200 ones. Which is why I have mixed feelings about good SQ in cars.

SQ/L is another matter... being able to be played loud, over the road noise, and sound really good doing it - that's the key to a good, practical car audio system.

SpotMe said:

I'm going to raise the ante here and say that every component in an audio system affects the sound. Source, amp, speakers, interconnect and speaker cables... they all make a difference and they can be night and day.

I was reminded of this recently when a good friend of mine was auditioning home hifi. He had one source, two sets of speakers, two amps and two sets of speaker cable. Changing one item at a time, we could both recognise a difference between them and could identify which one was which.

It seems to me to be all about finding a combination that works well together.

I'm sure the same applies in car audio but I'd argue that the installation is much more important in car audio as a car cabin is a terrible acoustic space to deal with!

Home hifi is a whole different ball game you can make speakers sound totallt different jus by putting a 30kg weight on a speaker box but I agree to some extent about every component making a difference some what

boon']

/quote]

Okie dokie!

good for powering your nuclear battleship or just plain silly in everyday applications either way I like your style

Warehouse don't do decent...

:P

I was thinking more long the lines of the old Nakamichi, Concord, Kenwood car decks I used to use.

Why?

I still have heaps of high quality home recorded tapes that still sound better than their newer digital versions.

;D

What air hiss ?

Never had any problems with tape noise and I never used noise reduction (Nakamichi tape decks, TDK pseudo-chrome or metal tape).

Guess I could cobble up something with my portable Sony Walkman Pro but that deck is too good to use in the car and it 's probably a PIA as I don't think my ancient Alpine 3DE-7887E has a line input.

Screw it, CD's and FM will do.

Leave the serious listening at home.

;D

adding air in the recording process is what give s a recording spacious sound and is a plug in that was ported from tapes to new age sound equipment to mimic this effect ever heard drop it like its hot by snoop dogg well the loud hissing noise is air amplified like 20 times