Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

highest octane.

a mate of mine use to work at holden told me that they are tuned for 91. me think the brand new ones like sidi etc are tuned for 98. . boss has a brand spanking new clubsport r8 and was told by the dealer to run 95 to 98

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sultan']

[quote name='russian said:

i sopose you rite bro... evry engine is diferent.. i had a shok when faund out that mate running his 02 clubsport on 91..

when i asked him WTF? he said its runn better than 95,98, and whatever else comes out there... i thout all that 91 good for is your loanmower, and hondas ;D (my bad couldnt help myself)

next time run my bike on 91 save me money to i sopoze..

/quote]

same as my 03 commy. i ran several tanks of 98 through it trying to get the ecu to "learn" the better fuel and give me better performance and economy. i found economy and performance got worse. quite a bit worse. i guess holden figure commodore owners would stick the budget s*** in so they optomized them for 91. kind of like young girls that save up and buy an Iphone, run it on prepay with txt2000 only

young girls save up and buy an Iphone, run it on prepay with txt2000 only..... of the subject, but that was gold.. this guy needs a medal... ;D

WRXONP said:

a mate of mine use to work at holden told me that they are tuned for 91. me think the brand new ones like sidi etc are tuned for 98. . boss has a brand spanking new clubsport r8 and was told by the dealer to run 95 to 98

yup they are tuned for 91 cause in the desolate outback places in OZ 91 is all they have most cars these days are tuned on 95 max unless JDM cause that is the fuel most widely available well most high performance cars anyway most other cars 91 hence why most cars that were OZ delivered like the wrx and the silvia were detuned a bit due to s***ty fuel wasnt till like 2002 they got 98 at shell which we dont get its called optimax bp also has ultimate and 100ron fuel sold in 20L containers not sure if they still sell it

For those who maybe interested ive been doing a 2ltr build with another shop that may surprise afew what you can on pump gas when reverse engineer a build like custom headers to suit making 40kw gain without any other change, and a easy 311kw wheel on 20psi and no timing !!!

Ill post dyno plots over the build and head cam intake turbo spec and even cam position, but please dont copy this build as every build should be done on its own merit thats the only way to have a good outcome not one bolt on item like a turbo will give the full benefit of a build.

Eg: the cams supplied to the job were put where the supplier stated worked best, that was far from the case after many dyno hours we gained 30kw by changing them, before the few tossers jump in here this will be done to show your wallet doesnt always give you a number.

Stay tuned opps and its was done on 98.

vorigan said:

For those who maybe interested ive been doing a 2ltr build with another shop that may surprise afew what you can on pump gas when reverse engineer a build like custom headers to suit making 40kw gain without any other change, and a easy 311kw wheel on 20psi and no timing !!!

Ill post dyno plots over the build and head cam intake turbo spec and even cam position, but please dont copy this build as every build should be done on its own merit thats the only way to have a good outcome not one bolt on item like a turbo will give the full benefit of a build.

Eg: the cams supplied to the job were put where the supplier stated worked best, that was far from the case after many dyno hours we gained 30kw by changing them, before the few tossers jump in here this will be done to show your wallet doesnt always give you a number.

Ah...What price good research.... Tis free A!! Heard fluffy dice hangin from the mirror adds 5 Kph....LMAO!!(sell ya some for $100....

vorigan said:

cant wait always interested

johnny5']

[quote name='WRXONP said:

/quote]yup they are tuned for 91 cause in the desolate outback places in OZ 91 is all they have most cars these days are tuned on 95 max unless JDM cause that is the fuel most widely available well most high performance cars anyway most other cars 91 hence why most cars that were OZ delivered like the wrx and the silvia were detuned a bit due to s***ty fuel wasnt till like 2002 they got 98 at shell which we dont get its called optimax bp also has ultimate and 100ron fuel sold in 20L containers not sure if they still sell it

of course all cars are tuned to run on 91, but does't mean they should be run on it. mums 2005 325i was run on 91 for the first 2 years, then switched to 95/98. A noticeable difference in power and economy.

it should be re phrased to it will run on 91, but it wont perform nicely

555v7sti']

[quote name='WRXONP said:

/quote]yup they are tuned for 91 cause in the desolate outback places in OZ 91 is all they have most cars these days are tuned on 95 max unless JDM cause that is the fuel most widely available well most high performance cars anyway most other cars 91 hence why most cars that were OZ delivered like the wrx and the silvia were detuned a bit due to s***ty fuel wasnt till like 2002 they got 98 at shell which we dont get its called optimax bp also has ultimate and 100ron fuel sold in 20L containers not sure if they still sell it

of course all cars are tuned to run on 91, but does't mean they should be run on it. mums 2005 325i was run on 91 for the first 2 years, then switched to 95/98. A noticeable difference in power and economy.

it should be re phrased to it will run on 91, but it wont perform nicely

well of course they will run better on 95/98 thats a given more so 95 need to tune the car after that to get the best outta 98 and 91 is the benchmark cause in the states there is a lower quality fuel than 91

russian']

[quote name='GETLOW said:

You can buy 124 octaine in NZ. Though its not road legal and its expensive as at like $4+ a ltr i believe

Its called pro85. Just like E85 (115 octaine) but instead of using pump gas its made with hydrocarbons and s***.

Thats what my supplier Alcotane has told me that his fuel has been rated at.

Its good though.. pro85 Allows the EVO8 thats going to the world Time attack in aus to put down 522kw/700hp at all four hubs on a mild 35psi..

/quote]

and where can you get this magik stuff from?..

You can buy it from Alcotane

You are right with a fair chunk of that.

I don't agree with your extra fuel usage, but There will be a calculation behind that no doubt. Its more like an extra 30-40% on boost on WOT. Though it does depend on the injectors you are using, New style ID1000s you get much better fuel econamy

It can be used to save you money and improve reliability at the same time. on subarus I don't know how much the benfit of E85 is on a stock motor. but on Nissans we have seen some crazy power out of stock non turbo engines with bolt ons and E85. So it is kind of like cheating in some ways as you end up with any failures being mechanical due to shear load. (still yet to blow an NA nissan on E85..)

But This threads not about track cars.. Its about street cars. So pump gas for the win.

vorigan said:

My 5 cents

Sorry if im repeating what someone else has said but this is how i do things, you reverse engineer what your doing and octane is a major part of that.

Running high octane when it isnt needed due to the slower burn rate you end up losing power not gaining if your using it for anti detonation reasons in a car that should be able to run on a lower octane you need to ask why and fix it accordingly or your just wasting money.

E85 is good stuff and isnt that bad but when it consums between 2-2.38 times the fuel flow per minute your tank just got cut in half, if your going to build a 13/1 comp motor running 40psi then thats differant otherwise save yourself time and money and look at the bigger picture first.

Ive done many engines over the years and its not hard to run on pump gas that made good power for the road just plan your build and you cant go wrong.

Check the fuels BTU's before you start.

"Kw is just a number it doesnt always reflect a fast car"

Depending on state of tune will reflect fuel demand even at cruz with big cams alot is wasted out the exhaust thus consumption goes up, with few places offering e85 doesnt make it very practical for the every day punter.

Ever car should be tuned on its own merit as such you should never generalise to what fuel is needed,even the aussie v8's dem 2:1 over pump using e85 and thats desiding between economy and power, i guess one benefit of e85 its a no brainer to tune ;D

haha, there is still some brains to tune it. We have seen some shocking things from others.

Your right, with big cams everything changes even more. We deal with alot more standardish motors so massive cams arn't usually a problem.

We all know the aussies are always a little bit behind us ;D haha

I was simply answering the question about the highest ocatine avaliable.. rather then telling people to use it.

GETLOW said:

haha, there is still some brains to tune it. We have seen some shocking things from others.

Your right, with big cams everything changes even more. We deal with alot more standardish motors so massive cams arn't usually a problem.

We all know the aussies are always a little bit behind us ;D haha

I was simply answering the question about the highest ocatine avaliable.. rather then telling people to use it.

awesume words geoff "aussies are always a little bit behind us" hope they use lube :D :D :D