• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

highest octane.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how long have we had bp98 in nz??

because i remember when i bought my subaru i ran it on shell 96 & used octane boosters with just about every or every second fill -which was like $100.00 tank, $60.00 for fuel plus a $40.00 there was no 98 here for many years,

so for all of those who say they only run theirs on 98 - wonder what they were run on in the pre bp98 day's :P - i do realise some will be newer subarus & proably imported not long ago, but there will be a few out there ;)

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/australia/corporate_australia/STAGING/local_assets/downloads_pdfs/f/Fuel_news_BP_ultimate.pdf

They had good fuel in japan, :)

& also there are alot more modded ones around now day's, as theres so many aftermarket bits ect available,

go back to the early 2000's & there just wasn't many of these parts added to these cars to compromise fuel performance, sure a pod filter & bov hahaha but as in boost control, w/gates & intercooling, chips, fpr's, big injectors ect like most have been added now.

but thats my opinion, & my car has seen its fair share avgas, shell 96, nos octane boosters & bp98 for the last 12years of service for me :)

It was all around then those parts however the cost was phenomenal lol, even just an external would set you back a huge amount hell even a FMIC would cost you between $1800-3000. And yup had to drive round on 95 til 98 hit chch round 05/06

• 3 weeks later...

i ran mine on 98 on the road and a 20% ethanol 80% 98 blend on the strip or track notice a huge difference but i heard avgas crystalises when it evaporates and blocks your injectors as well has eats your hoses

WRXONP said:

i was told by a dude who ran av gas that its leaded and eats the valve seats

lead is put in fuel for the complete opposite reason, to protect valve seats in old cars, thats why now days they run a valve seat protector if it was designed for leaded fuels

gotasuby']

[quote name='WRXONP said:

/quote]

lead is put in fuel for the complete opposite reason, to protect valve seats in old cars, thats why now days they run a valve seat protector if it was designed for leaded fuels

Correct....

Our poor old HQ needs valve seat protector every tank. :-(

when I was doing motocross, started running that gull forse10. Thought it cant be bad for the bike, if anything will be good for it... couple of rides later bike sh*t it self and i took it down to the shop... bla bla bla cut story short... mechanics spend some time on it and they pulled out so much crap out of carby not funny and fuel filter had to be replaced..

the moral of the story is what i found out later on is the ethanol content is "stripping" crap of your fuel tank on the inside and blocks your filter, fuel lines and god knows what else.. don't know if that was any help, i also rang my suby on force10 for two weeks and it ran like sh*t. was cutting out, huge lag when in high boost ( like no gas feeling )... since then I've changed to BP98... all my problems gone..

Sequence said:

Never run a Motocross bike on 98, Not good for them. Agree with the lag in high boost on gull 98! It runs better on 96!

what do you run in a mx bike then?

we ran my bros rmz450 on 91 a few times, i couldnt hear any det and it ran just as good as it would with 95 or 98

You just run 91, The additives in 95 or 98, To get the octane higher dont produce any more power, They produce lower than regular 91, 95 or 98 are better for preventing detonation in vehicles, Not so good in bikes.

gotasuby']

[quote name='WRXONP said:

/quote]

That's nothing more than a side effect.

The original reason lead was put into petrol was to make money for General Motors, Du Pont and Standard Oil (now Exxon).

>:(

The Secret History of Lead

http://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/Lead-History.htm

Sequence said:

You just run 91, The additives in 95 or 98, To get the octane higher dont produce any more power, They produce lower than regular 91, 95 or 98 are better for preventing detonation in vehicles, Not so good in bikes.

yeh but wouldn't you run better and cleaner fuel mixture on 95-98 than 91?..

You can buy 124 octaine in NZ. Though its not road legal and its expensive as at like $4+ a ltr i believe

Its called pro85. Just like E85 (115 octaine) but instead of using pump gas its made with hydrocarbons and shit.

Thats what my supplier Alcotane has told me that his fuel has been rated at.

Its good though.. pro85 Allows the EVO8 thats going to the world Time attack in aus to put down 522kw/700hp at all four hubs on a mild 35psi..

Sequence said:

98 For my car 91 for my bike. :)

i sopose you rite bro... evry engine is diferent.. i had a shok when faund out that mate running his 02 clubsport on 91..

when i asked him WTF? he said its runn better than 95,98, and whatever else comes out there... i thout all that 91 good for is your loanmower, and hondas ;D (my bad couldnt help myself)

next time run my bike on 91 save me money to i sopoze..

GETLOW said:

You can buy 124 octaine in NZ. Though its not road legal and its expensive as at like $4+ a ltr i believe

Its called pro85. Just like E85 (115 octaine) but instead of using pump gas its made with hydrocarbons and s***.

Thats what my supplier Alcotane has told me that his fuel has been rated at.

Its good though.. pro85 Allows the EVO8 thats going to the world Time attack in aus to put down 522kw/700hp at all four hubs on a mild 35psi..

and where can you get this magik stuff from?..

My 5 cents

Sorry if im repeating what someone else has said but this is how i do things, you reverse engineer what your doing and octane is a major part of that.

Running high octane when it isnt needed due to the slower burn rate you end up losing power not gaining if your using it for anti detonation reasons in a car that should be able to run on a lower octane you need to ask why and fix it accordingly or your just wasting money.

E85 is good stuff and isnt that bad but when it consums between 2-2.38 times the fuel flow per minute your tank just got cut in half, if your going to build a 13/1 comp motor running 40psi then thats differant otherwise save yourself time and money and look at the bigger picture first.

Ive done many engines over the years and its not hard to run on pump gas that made good power for the road just plan your build and you cant go wrong.

Check the fuels BTU's before you start.

"Kw is just a number it doesnt always reflect a fast car"

russian said:

i sopose you rite bro... evry engine is diferent.. i had a shok when faund out that mate running his 02 clubsport on 91..

when i asked him WTF? he said its runn better than 95,98, and whatever else comes out there... i thout all that 91 good for is your loanmower, and hondas ;D (my bad couldnt help myself)

next time run my bike on 91 save me money to i sopoze..

same as my 03 commy. i ran several tanks of 98 through it trying to get the ecu to "learn" the better fuel and give me better performance and economy. i found economy and performance got worse. quite a bit worse. i guess holden figure commodore owners would stick the budget shit in so they optomized them for 91. kind of like young girls that save up and buy an Iphone, run it on prepay with txt2000 only