Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

big over heat

WRXONP

on my way home from work . . . and i look out my mirror and notice a Fuck load of smoke so i glance at gauges thinking the oil light might be on. but nope temp gauge is right at the top. turned it off instantly and pulled over. found heater hose had done the dirty split and leaked all my coolant out and most onto exhaust hence the smoke. as fast as i could i cut the hose and re fitted and got warm water from gas station . filled it up and ran motor and it was just throwing the water out violently like a blown head gasket. thought Fuck this started driving home . turned it off each time before it got to the top of the gauge . stopped and went to fill the water up and it took heaps so it had a major air lock. got more water and filled it back up . ran it and bled the air out and now its not blowing water back like a blown head gasket does. no oil in water . no water in oil. doesn't after boil. doesn't blow water out when the caps off and running. is it possible the water was boiling the first time giving it the

violent pushing of water out the top ? i want to get a hold of a cylinder leakage tester so i can test it for sure but any one think its all right ? haven't ever over heated a subaru before but my under standing is they can't handle getting hot ? any input would be muchly appreciated

They sure dont like getting hot ;). Is yours a steel headgasket motor?? (asking cust I know shz been swappd rnd in yr ka).

That could have very well been the case, your warm water was boiling off hot block insides cusing it to spew it back out. Do a leakage test to tell you the truth but from what your saying now sounds like you may have escaped just but yeah cant see the car so cant give my diagnosis lol

yeah yeah just wondering what peoples symptoms were with blown head gasket. and nope still stock head gasket . . might throw some metal 5 layer head gaskets in and new bolts and check heads for warpage but just wondering if its ok for the mean time to get me to work and back. am letting it cool down. then going to check over it and go for a drive and see what's up with it

Yeah well thoes are the subby simtoms but if its stopd them and its not getting hot and your water is still in there then yeah what else can you do but drive it and see how you go if you dont want to do a leakage test. Even that wont save you knowing if its close to being blowen now only time will :-\

Bearer of bad news, I did the same with my legacy,blew a top rad hose, drove like probably 5 k/m before I realised gauge didn't get into red, fixed the hose bled the system, all was well I thought 2 weeks later had to strip her down to do head gaskets, they really really don't like getting hot :(

this exact same scenario is why my car is getting a new engine in it at the moment. if the hg has gone and in the same way mine did from overheating from water loss, you might find the cooling system builds up pressure and eventually water seaps out through the top tank and hose clamps. i replaced all hose clamps and then systematically all hoses split and eventually the heater core blew. bypassed that and still losing water, decided the engine was eating it. found (milky) water in the head breather lines too. if you're driving around in general use keep some bottles of water in your car, and check it regulary

fuck guts man.better hurry up with that other motor you have bro.lolhave you got all the goodies for the new motor?

WRXONP said:

did you ever run yours with the cap off ?

yeah i ran with the cap off until hot cycle every time i'd fill it when trying the next thing to attempt to fix the water loss issue (i.e, replacing this and that). it never pushed water out. was only when the cap went on and was driven around for a while that the pressure would build. it could have been building pressure as it was getting hotter from losing water though. but i'm certain it was going through the headgasket

ah yeah did you have constant bubbles coming up with cap off like the waters airated ? i just not going to chance it. i won't trust it even if it seems fine . borrowing cash and will put cometic 5 layer metal head gaskets and arp head studs and fit new cam belt to it next weekend . . also check heads for warpage .

a mate over heated his sti v3 once. quickly stopped at the gas station as soon as we realized it was overheaten, filled up the water and all was good for a week or two. then the sti would randomly over heat like once every half hour or more. then got closer to every 10min of driving. then it was time for new headgaskets. horible feeling