Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

MY 1989 BC5 GT REBUILD ( FIX UP JOB ) THREAD

Guest 4wdftw

Guest 4wdftw

since my GT has chewed 2nd gear i have decided to get stuck in and do a few mods..

this originally was going to happen after dyno day but i dont wish to run the car on dyno with the gearbox as mashed as it is.

so far i have removed: the bonnet, the chimney, the W2AIC, part of the intake, the blow off valve, and the alternator ( below ) due to a run bearing and that infernal whining noise!!!

alternator.jpg

bonnetoff.jpg

next on the list is to remove the TD-04 ( for sale at the right price this will be replaced by a td-05h 16g), and the starter motor to make it easier to get the gearbox out.

once finding a gearbox i will replace the current one and piece everything back together.

other things on the list to be completed in the next few weeks: addition of two guages, oil temp and boost gauge, remove and replace LF wheel hub ( bearing ) and swap over the door cards.

any ideas or help would be appreciated.

what kind of gearbox are you going to use next?

why not rebuild your old one? If you need some labour id be able to help at some point prob if req'd

Guest 4wdftw

iv got one lined up... 4.111 like my rear diff. so once i sell the td-04 that will pay for the gearbox.. i would rebuild it howevr i need the car to be running ASAP, so will rebuild the current one and keep as a spare.

Guest 4wdftw

doorcards.jpg

swapped the door cards from the 92 BF wagon over as the ones that were in the GT had broken speaker covers and werent looking too flash. much better now. went on easily enough.

springs.jpg

cleaned up the springs a lil bit. will do more to this at some stage. ( i think they are super low kings)

jacked.jpg

as she sits now. awaiting the arrival of the new FL hub and few other goodies :)

will take out the gear box today and remove the td-04.

Guest 4wdftw

well well.... one bolt is all that stopping the box from dropping out! its 1 of the 4 that joins the drive shaft to the rear diff! grinder action 2moro im thinkin :)

Zarnah and co swapping the LH hub over

hubswap.jpg

LOOK WHAT I FOUND ATTACHED TO MY MAGNETIC GEAR BOX SUMP PLUG!!! oh noz!!

can someone explain what these are?

gearbox.jpg

downpipe is out.

downpipe.jpg

replacement alternator is in.

alternator-1.jpg

THANKS to ZARNAH and DUBBEDUP for all the hard work. MUCH appreciated.

Guest 4wdftw
 sickmatesick said:

due to a run bearing and that infernal whining noise!!!

sorry to hijack your post but does the noise sound like a can getting kicked along the pavement? I suddenly have a horrible noise coming from the powersteering/alternator area

no prob.. sort of like that. more like a whining bearing noise very loud!

Guest 4wdftw
 zarnah said:

get the box dropped paul?

nope! 1 bolt left to go on the driveshaft ( from shaft to diff ) the lil fkker wont come off so ima attack it with a grinder 2moro!

Guest 4wdftw
 DRFVDR said:

WOT DID YOU DO

heehheheheh

was doing 40 k in town.. slowed down and changed to second then it went clack clack clack.

:(

Guest 4wdftw
 zarnah said:

haha yea you talking bout the flange bolts that hold the two parts of the driveshaft together? I had trouble with them to little bastards they are >:(

yeah cant get a socket on there and now the bolt head is round was pretty round allready

think ill replace them with new bolts for next time lol

4wdftw']

[quote name='zarnah said:

haha yea you talking bout the flange bolts that hold the two parts of the driveshaft together? I had trouble with them to little bastards they are >:(

/quote]

yeah cant get a socket on there and now the bolt head is round was pretty round allready

think ill replace them with new bolts for next time lol

lift the rear wheels as well as the front and rotate the shaft..