Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Antenna adaptor required for fitting aftermarket radio? (BH5 Legacy)

suubyduuby

Currently looking at replacing the factory (non-MacIntosh) headdeck in the Leggy with an aftermarket unit.

Last time I pulled it out to fit a band expander, I remember the antenna plug was non-standard and had a hard time finding an expander to fit.

What exactly is the factory antenna plug type? From memory, it was a square-looking connector - definately not going to fit in the std round hole! ;D

Is there a standard plug on the harness tucked back into the dash? Or alternatively - where can you source an adaptor? Have had a look in a few stores, and they only have the std-Euro and vice versa types.

Can always chop and solder a new std RF connector on, but would prefer to leave on so can refit the factory stereo if I ever sell the car. Any ideas?

subieboy said:

Its the normal round plug one you see in most cars of that era

+1 And you won't need a band expander for an after market headunit. Just need a Subaru wiring harness from Repco/Supercheap and then another harness to suit the headunit. But I always find this harness wrong, but use it's ends and solder the one that comes with the new headunit up.

Unless the WRX and Leggy one's are totally different..

I just did this recently, had two antenna plugs.. One female, with the band expander in it, and male into the head deck. I just cut it off, and used the wiring hardness like someone else mentioned from Repco. Works fine, no issue.

Not sure why some of you are saying "no adapter", unless there's some variation through the model years?

I recently replaced the standard head-unit in my BH with a double din JVC from Repco, and had to buy one of these adapters http://tinyurl.com/3v2z4k3 from Trademe... They're commonly known as "Nissan adapters" like bobbyjimmy linked you to on Ebay, or "Diversity antennas" as spark_38 mentioned.

I'm currently gathering all the bits I need to change the head-unit in the BP, and the kit includes an adapter like you pictured. It won't work for your BH.

subieboy said:

I think form memory that there are two plugs one is male the other female...

Yip, although aftermarket headunits can fit on the male plug - with extension and still obtain satisfactory reception, unless you're in hilly terrain like Welli, for example. In which case it's terrible, regardless.

Well, all installed now.

BUT...factory trim doesn't fit nicely when headdeck is in place. Width of the deck is just slightly too wide for the factory pop-in/out trim to fit back in. I can get it in place, but not a nice fit as tends to bow slightly to fit.

Thinking of taking a dremel and cutting some small inserts so will pop over the headdeck nicely.

This is with a Sony headdeck - anyone else run into this trouble?